Bellazon

Christy Turlington
Thumbnail

seshiru

The original supermodel and our January covergirl, Christy Turlington, is back on the billboards 30 years after she started her glittering career.

At the age of 44, Turlington has once again become the body for Calvin Klein Underwear, modelling for its A/W13 campaign, photographed by Mario Sorrenti. But this is not a full-blown return to modeling, she tells Helena de Bertodano in our cover interview – she models “maybe 30 days of the year,” devoting the rest of her time to her two children, Grace, 10, and Finn, 7, her husband, the actor/director Eddie Burns, and her charity, Every Mother Counts, set up in 2010 to improve maternal health following the difficult birth of her daughter.  So much so that, when Calvin Klein approached her earlier this year, “At first, I thought, ‘Underwear? I don’t really want to do that at this point in time,’” she says.  “But then I thought that it’s actually good for people to see images of women, not just young girls – proper women who have diverse lives and demands. I feel good about the fact that I feel fit and healthy and I haven’t manipulated myself in any way.”  Although many may beg to differ, Turlington finds many flaws in her older body: when she emerges from the changing room for the Harper’s Bazaar cover shoot, she says: “I’ve just realized that I haven’t shaved my legs any time recently and that I have a huge bruise on one of them.” 

Despite her global power and recognition (she has appeared on more than 500 magazine covers), shesays that people rarely recognize her.  “I’ve always been able to buy my own magazine without anybody knowing that it was me [on the cover]. Often I would walk into jobs in Milan or wherever and sit on the couch and they would look at me and look at my card and they’d be like, ‘Is that really her?’”

Christy2-euVLAS.jpg

The middle daughter of an American pilot and a flight attendant from El Salvador, Turlington grew up in California and then Florida, where she was discovered in a shopping mall.  “I didn't grow up with an emphasis on my looks,” she explains. “Even later [in my career], if I wasn't in a circle who knew who I was, I didn’t have that kind of attention.”  At school, she says, she was never the girl that boys fell for. “Never, never, never. I was not the ugly duckling, either. But I was just average, perfectly average.”  In contrast with many models, who start working young and often get led astray, Turlington (who began modelling at 14) sees modelling as her salvation says de Bertodano. “I was starting to get into some trouble and was hanging out with some rebellious friends,” Turlington recalls. “I was sneaking cigarettes. I was this juxtaposition of a girl and a rebel teen. I had lost confidence at school – we moved twice during critical years and I was getting behind – so in a weird way the career gave me structure. I had to learn to be responsible and to catch my flights. There weren’t even cellphones in those days.”

Within the industry, Turlington quickly established a reputation for being ‘the nice one,’ she says.  “I realized that all I had to do was be early, hang up my clothes and be polite and then I’m known as ‘the nice one’. I’ll take nice!  I was happy to hold something or help somebody else when it wasn’t me being photographed.”  In her mid-twenties, she enrolled at the NYU to study Comparative Religion and Eastern Philosophy.  “I’ve definitely challenged myself,” she says. “Whenever I’ve got too comfortable, I’ve gone back to school or back on the road.”  She likes the fact that her looks are less focused on these days. “Age has allowed me to be viewed in a different way. I’m not a threat to anybody, whereas maybe as a younger model people might think, ‘Oh, she’s a model, is she talking to my husband?’  Not that I was ever the kind of person to be concerned about – but I think there’s a weird insecurity that other people have. It’s nice to be a woman who’s in my mid-forties like other women.”

She doesn't really watch what she eats, she says -“I’ve never deprived myself of anything, but the things I crave tend to be things that are better for me” – but she famously practices yoga and recently took up running.

Turlington2-s7gaEV.jpg

Her interest in maternal health was sparked by her own experience of childbirth and the realisation that hundreds of thousands of women die every year in the process.  Though she had a great pregnancy, an hour after the delivery, she didn’t go into the fourth stage of labour.  “My placenta was retained,” she says.  “It was very, very painful: delivering a baby without medication feels like nothing compared to having your placenta torn out of your own uterus.  But that’s the only way to do it.”  She would have gone on to have more, she says, but her husband intervened.  “My husband was like, “We’ve got one of each, we’ve been lucky, why don’t we just spend more time with the ones we have?”  I can’t really argue with that.”  

When she first met Burns, in 2000, “I knew right away he was probably the right person,” Turlington continues. “He was just an easy person and I kept thinking something was going to reveal itself at some point. I would wonder, ‘Why is he so forthcoming? Why is he so expressive and emotive?”  Her husband, she says, has helped her learn to relax.  “I’ve had to work on letting to, to some extent… [Eddie] loved to explain how, when Grace was a toddler, I was behind her all day putting things back in order.”  The family live in a loft in Tribeca.  “I’m more of a minimalist and my husband is more of a collector-clutterer.” That minimalist approach is also reflected in the way she dresses – a style that has changed little over the years, notes de Bertodano.  “I hate shopping,” she winces. “I usually get slightly more contemporary versions of something I had 10 or 20 years ago.”

.harpersbazaar.co.uk

Hello,

I try my best to post pictures i've got and that i've never seen on the net or chase new publications !

Thank you for your messages of encouragement I'm really touched that you enjoy them.

I never thought it would happened (sharing these)

Here are some i just found in my archives

I am not quite sure of the years though except for the blondish period that is 1992

All pictures are cuts from either vogue uk, us, French elle us or harper us

post-84605-0-91360200-1386352854_thumb.j  post-84605-0-59696100-1386352856_thumb.j  post-84605-0-07779900-1386352920_thumb.j  post-84605-0-11423900-1386352928_thumb.j  post-84605-0-31759300-1386352952_thumb.j  post-84605-0-29157700-1386353023_thumb.j

Hello,

I try my best to post pictures i've got and that i've never seen on the net or chase new publications !

Thank you for your messages of encouragement I'm really touched that you enjoy them.

I never thought it would happened (sharing these)

Here are some i just found in my archives

I am not quite sure of the years though except for the blondish period that is 1992

All pictures are cuts from either vogue uk, us, French elle us or harper us

attachicon.gifimg001 (2).jpg  attachicon.gifimg001 (5).jpg  attachicon.gifCCF19032012_00021.jpg  attachicon.gifCCF19032012_00022.jpg  attachicon.gifCCF19032012_00056.jpg  attachicon.gifCCF20032012_00092.jpg