Bellazon

Brooke Shields
Thumbnail

adriana_isabeli

nrm_1407752417-brooke_shields_mac_collection.jpg

By Bridget March

11 August 2014

MAC's forthcoming Icon Collection is a collab with actress and model Brooke Shields. Yes – she of the original Endless Love, those 80s Calvin Klein Jeans ads and owner of epic eyebrows. Quite the CV.

The line-up, on sale globally from October, sees everyone's fave makeup brand veer away from their signature black packaging in favour of grey casing accessorised with Brooke's signature in bright orange.

Expect an eye palette of 15 shadow shades – comprehensive! – as well as vibrant lippies, a blush duo and, of course, a brow set.

"I never wanted my eyebrows to look any different, but they are unruly" she told Allure in the States, hence why the brow tamer is clear, not chocolate coloured.

Now aged 49, her brows are still strong. "My issue is less about needing a pencil and more about keeping them from mushing down. I didn't want the gel to be too crunchy, so it had to have a nourishing conditioner."

If you're not blessed with Brooke's brow density, don't let the line disappoint you though, just get more depth and definition using one of the soft neutral eye shadows before sealing and setting, Shields style.

We never thought we'd say it, but bring on Autumn!

cosmopolitan.co.uk

MAC Collection

Brooke-Shields-MAC-Cosmetics-Collection-Campaign.jpg

BS_C7A0902_R-e1412572776606.jpg

When the word “brows” is synonymous with your name above all others, you know you’ve reached mega beauty icon status. Who are we talking about? None other than Brooke Shields, of course, a model/actress that has had more iconic moments (hello, Calvin Klein ads!) than a bundle of starlets combined. So, it makes sense that the 49-year-old stunner was tapped by M.A.C. cosmetics for her own limited-edition capsule collection, inspired by Shields’ favorite looks for day and night. Here, we caught up with the busy mama of two to talk beauty collabs, aging with grace, and motherhood.

Tell us about how you developed this collection with M.A.C.
“I started gathering all of my favorite items and I created a lookbook and went over it with the M.A.C. team, but my biggest problem was that I couldn’t decide which direction, makeup-wise, represented more of who I am. There was a more natural look and a more dramatic look. I feel like one without the other is just an incomplete version of myself. So, after going back and forth, the team suggested we celebrate the duality in me. And I really think that it’s in all women. The moms I know from my children’s school are the ones doing drop-off, then going to work, but they really turn it on when there’s an evening event. They look sexier and a bit more dressed up and made up, but they’re the same people.”

Tell us about the color palette.
“The team knows more about trends than I do. According to my daughters, I’m never on trend! But we developed this collection over so long that it wasn’t so much about what was trendy. The packaging comes from a color combination I am in love with and something I was inspired by while decorating a home. As far as the actual makeup colors, I really do love orange. I think people are surprised by how many people can wear it. It’s really user-friendly and it’s a great pop of color in a lip. Then with the palette for eye shadows, I just wanted to have that range of both the deeper, richer, sexier smokey eye colors, as well as those that you can put on in the daytime.”

Aside from M.A.C., what are your favorite beauty products?
“I’ve been using Laszlo a lot and Elizabeth Arden’s 8-hour night cream, which is a new overnight cream that they developed and I just love how moisturizing it is. I’m also getting facials at Laszlo, and if you look at all of the people they’ve taken care of over the years, I’m so impressed by them and it feels like a fantasy. Overall, I just try to keep my face as clean and moisturized as possible. I’m always using eye cream and the 8-hour cream on my lips, because I have to travel a lot and have a tendency to get dehydrated. If I’m hydrated and have good sleep, that’s when I look better. For fragrance, I love Margiela. And a friend of mine, Tobi Tobin, developed a line of fragrances and body oils that combine together. She’s out of Los Angeles and her stuff is so beautiful. It’s just divine.”

You’re turning 50 next year. Do you have any tips on aging gracefully?
“I’ve noticed that as I’ve gotten older, exercise is even more important for me. Drinking less, drinking more water, and exercising more. It’s harder to stay in shape once you’ve hit a certain age, and I’ve noticed that I have to work a bit harder at it. At the same time, I have to be more forgiving with myself. There’s this thing about chasing your earlier days and wanting to be 26 again. And I don’t. But I do have to say, I like how I looked when I was that age, but I feel more comfortable in my own skin now. So, it’s about readjusting how I see myself. It’s hard because so many pictures of me are out there, and I don’t look like that anymore. So, I have to remind myself that it’s okay. The number 50 when I was in my twenties seemed decrepit and old, but now that I’m so rapidly approaching it, I can’t believe this is the 50 that I thought it was when I was younger. I sort of feel 38, even though I’m not. I think I will feel 50 when I’m 80. But it’s more about not trying to chase what I’m not and embracing who I am now. It’s interesting because if I gain any weight, I look younger. It’s that saying, ‘At a certain point, you have to choose your ass or your face.’ It’s pretty true!”

You have two daughters. What are some highlights of motherhood for you?
“I have to say, motherhood is really tough. I thought it was hard when they were babies, but that was easy. Now I have these little hormone-infested creatures that I live with that are like Jekyll and Hyde. At the end of the day, though, when you either hear them repeat something that you’ve clearly said or they ask you to come back and give them another kiss at night, it’s those little teeny things that really sustain me. Because otherwise, it’s actually really hard. They’re currently eight and eleven, but the world is so fast, I have to remind myself that they are still babies, although the way they talk back, you’d think they were mean adults. Ha!”

Do you have any advice on raising girls specifically? 
“In developing this line, we actually talked about this exact thing. There’s this focus on beauty and cosmetics and making ourselves up, and I wanted to get the message across that it’s about enhancing what you have naturally instead of trying to look like somebody else. That’s what I run into a lot, raising girls. They’re always this comparison. They’re always comparing their bodies, their skin, their hair, to other kids and other people. And they’re also always comparing me to other mothers. I want to try to instill in them that cosmetics are designed to help you reveal different sides of your personality and enjoy it, instead of trying to look like anybody else.”

You were a child star. Would you encourage or discourage your kids from going into the entertainment industry?
“After they graduate from college, they can do anything they want. But I do think the entertainment industry is based on rejection, and it’s really hard to sustain any sense of longevity in that business. I don’t think they know what it’s all about yet. If they learn about it and want to be committed to it, I can’t be a hypocrite, even if I’d rather them do something else.”

Do you have any tips on balancing/juggling work and motherhood?
“I would say, never feel like anyone else has it figured out. I’ll look at moms and think, ‘God, they have it all together. They always look amazing and they never look harried.’ But you talk to them for 10 minutes and you realize they are just as harried as the next mom. I think you just have to keep trying. I don’t think that it’ll ever feel balanced. I was just on the phone having this huge family discussion with my husband regarding my daughter on the way to this interview. I think you just have to be able to multitask, be ready to never stop, and never think that it’s ever going to reach this level of ‘Oh, I’ve got it all figured out now!’ Just the other night, I said to my daughters, ‘I’m going to cook more, now that I have more free time after finishing my book,’ and my older one looked at me and goes, ‘Oh, so you’re going to try and be, like, a real mom?’ I wanted to rip her face off, but they’re always going to give you a hard time and that’s their job.”

http://www.mothermag.com/brooke-shields/

maxresdefault.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

eBay

600full-brooke-shields-2.jpg

pinterest