Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

Is there anything this mom of four can't do?

http://www.workingmother.com/celebrity-moms/modelmogul-mom-heidi-klum

post-2141-0-59005800-1392266381_thumb.jp

She’s Got Talent! So proves her transition from supermodel to supermogul—and the Emmy she won for Project Runway. But with four kids, a line of children’s clothes and tons of charity work, Heidi’s not resting on her laurels.

You’ve transformed yourself from a Sports Illustrated model to a successful entrepreneur. How do you view your career?
There was no secret to my success other than I took every job really seriously. I can look back over the past 20 years and feel really proud that I worked hard to get where I am now.

And you won an Emmy for Project Runway.
It was such a great surprise, and I was so glad to share this award with my incredible co-host, Tim Gunn! We have been on the air for 12 seasons. I am so appreciative that people are watching and still love the show so much.

You seem to have a passion for design! What inspired your Truly Scrumptious line for Babies“R”Us?
I’ve always wanted to be a fashion designer. As a teenager, that was my original plan. But I won a modeling competition—and the rest is history. With four kids of my own, I am more than familiar with children’s clothing and what kids like to wear. I think about what they would gravitate to with regards to color, comfort, details and prints. We currently make clothing up to size 5, so my older kids [Leni, 9, Henry, 8, and Johan, 7] are too big to wear them. But my younger daughter, Lou, who’s 4, loves wearing them. She loves sparkle and glitter— the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!

A lot of moms have strong opinions about how their kids should be dressed. What’s yours?
Basically, I think a kid should look like a kid. The clothing should represent the spirit of childhood: bright, colorful, whimsical and magical.

You’re involved in charities that are relevant to moms and kids. Tell us a little about them.
I work quite a bit with UNICEF. I had the opportunity to travel to Haiti last year and see some of the incredible work they’re doing in an area so desperately in need. Also, we’ve sold four Truly Scrumptious T-shirt designs to raise money for Save the Children, another organization I’m proud to be aligned with.

How do you keep things sane and down-to-earth for your four kids?
We are just like any other family: school, soccer practice, feed the dogs, eat your vegetables, clean up your toys. We try to do fun things on weekends—seeing animated movies and barbecuing in our garden. And all my kids enjoy watching me on America’s Got Talent. People may think Howard, Mel, Howie and I are tough, but my kids may be the toughest judges of all!

HEIDI’S CAREER SUCCESS TIPS
Take it seriously—from the get-go.
I started making a living when I was 18. Even in my earliest modeling jobs, I always showed up on time and did what was expected of me.

Think outside the box. I saw each of my jobs as an opportunity to learn about another facet of the industry.

Just go for it. Throughout my 20 years of work, I met interesting people, trusted my instincts and tried to take an opportunity if it was presented to me. You have to bring your hustle and watch your back. But it’s also important to find time for your personal life.