Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

Heidi was interviewed by the pregnancy blog, What to Expect:

http://www.whattoexpect.com/celebrities/he...-interview.aspx

It’s no understatement to say that Heidi Klum has it all: looks (she’s a top model), a hot hubby (she’s been married to the singer, Seal, since 2005), four beautiful (and well-behaved!) children (Leni, 7, Henry, 5, Johan, 4, and Lou, 1) and several great jobs, including hosting the hit show Project Runway on Lifetime and designing clothes and shoes (she even has her own lines of maternity wear). Another accomplishment to add to the list: her brand-new fashion and beauty Web site, heidiklum.aol.com. And she did it all before her 38th birthday.

Despite her packed schedule, Heidi found the time to talk to WTE. Here’s what she had to say on being a mom of four kids, a wife, and a woman.

I know pregnancy must seem ages ago, but do you remember being nervous when you were expecting?

I wasn’t very anxious. I thought, I’m just going to go with the flow, and my body will tell me what I have to do.

How did you feel during pregnancy?

Up to when I gave birth, I felt sexy, even though I was kind of big. I didn’t mind gaining weight because you have to build a foundation for a baby to be in there for all those months. You can’t be that thin to carry an almost nine-pounder in the front. I think you need the love handles and all that growth. But I really did feel sexy all the way up until the end. I gained 45 pounds, and that for me was a lot. And that was after eating very healthfully. Every once in a while I treated myself to something, but it wasn’t like every day all the time.

And how did you feel after each birth?

I never really felt awful because I knew I just made a child, but the first few weeks after the birth are very hard. You’re kind of like an imploded balloon! The skin hasn’t shrunk back yet. But it’s amazing that it does when you slowly start moving your body and walking around.

How did you lose the baby weight?

Breastfeeding! And getting active again, that’s the best thing. I had a very steep driveway so I’d go up and down it with the baby in the stroller. But you really have to listen to your body and not overdo it.

When your kids woke up at night, how did you get them to fall asleep again?

It was hard for me to leave them crying. I’m not very good at that. [Once they were older and could sleep on their stomachs,] I’d go pat them on their butts — gentle little taps. And I’d rub their backs up and down. Usually that would do the trick to get them to go back to sleep. Now that Lou understands more, I just say, “No, it’s still bedtime. You have to go to sleep. Put your head down,” and she usually listens to me. If she doesn’t, I stand there a little while longer. When Lou was younger, it was definitely about getting a good feeding in before she would go to bed. Babies wake up because they’re hungry. You have to make sure they eat a lot before they go to bed.

For my older kids, I got this really cool clock, and it’s separated between day and night. When the picture of the bunny going to school with his little backpack on is lit up, it’s daytime. And when the picture of the bunny in bed is lit up, it’s nighttime. My kids look at the clock and know that they can get up when the bunny’s up. Moms can set the time for whenever they want the kids to wake up. It doesn’t work with Lou yet, but when Johan was three, it worked already.

And after those nights when they kept you up, how do you manage to look awake?

Get a good concealer under the eyes. That’s my secret. And when the baby is born, you’re still at home and you don’t go to work yet, you’ve got to sleep whenever you can. You don’t know how the night might be.

How is being a first-time mom different from being a veteran mom?

When my husband and I had Leni, we’d constantly lean over the crib to make sure she was still breathing. She wouldn’t even be crying and we’d be asking, “Is she okay? Is she okay?” I would keep the crib so close to the bed. Every time I’d wake up, I’d look in there thinking, Oh, I can’t believe we have a baby in there. Is everything okay? Why isn’t she crying? Now it’s like, “She’s good.” If Lou is quiet, great!

Is there any sibling rivalry among your children?

They’re a little jealous of one another here and there. Leni’s already at a certain school and now that the boys are joining, she’ll sometimes say, “When you get to the school, you will not play at the big playground like I do because I’m already a first grader and you’re not.” And I’ll be like, “Well, you started at the small playground too. They’re just younger than you are.” Sometimes they say things like that, but they’re pretty good. They get along. They love each other.

What’s your best discipline trick?

It comes down to bribery a lot of the times. It just does. At dinnertime, if someone doesn’t want to eat something, whoever doesn’t finish their dinner can’t go into the bed to snuggle with Mommy and Daddy. And they do eat after they hear things like that. Usually they’re pretty good though.

How did you prevent diaper rash?

The key is to change diapers regularly. When kids don’t poop in the diaper, it’s easy to say, “Oh, she only peed in there, she didn’t poop, maybe we just leave it,” but the longer the little butt is in there, especially in the summer when a sweaty butt is in the diaper with pee-pee, you get diaper rash. Also, I don’t put so much soap in the water when they take baths. It worked. I washed them with gentle lotions, but I tried not to overdo it.

Speaking of lotions, do you ever use your children’s skin products?

I use their sunscreen. We just went to Florida a few weeks ago, and I didn’t want to bring more things with me, so I used their sunblock. I still got tan. It’s not that it completely blocks rays out. It just helps you from getting burned.

So let’s talk about you and Seal. How do you two keep your romance alive?

The biggest way is with our vow renewal that we do every year. That’s like our ultimate date night. We look into each other’s eyes and tell each other how much we love one another and how much we mean to each other. We do that just him and I and the children, and then we have a party.

What’s your go-to date night?

We’ll go to one of our favorite restaurants in Los Angeles. Or to the movies. We just went the other night and saw The Hangover 2. We liked it. It was a silly stupid movie, but it was funny — we were laughing. Sometimes we’ll go shopping, just strolling around without the kids, not really having a plan.

And how do you get gorgeous for those nights out together?

I have this really great lipstick. It’s called Soft Sensation by ASTOR. It’s the perfect lip color because it’s a beautiful powdery pink — natural looking, but not dry. And some glosses won’t do that. I also like Vincent Longo’s cream blush. I also use Heidi Klum In An Instant wrinkle smoother that I do with Guthy-Renker. There’s also a great In An Instant serum. It has all the peptides — it’s like nutrition for your skin.

One last question: What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned from being a mom?

You need to put yourself on the same level as your children — see the world from their eyes. Think of how it sounds to them when you speak loudly. Always put yourself into their shoes. Remember that we deal with adults most of the time. When grown-ups don’t understand something, you might say, “Why don’t you understand this?” but you have to respond to a child differently and be more patient.

Heidi Klum Shine

06/16/11 23:18:43

Supermodel and television star Heidi Klum launches her first fragrance in collaboration with Coty, named Shine. Shine was not her first connection to the world of perfume. At the beginning of the new millennium, she released three perfumes with the German cosmetics company LR (Heidi Klum, Heidi Klum Dreams and Heidi Klum Me).

“There are different moods that as a fragrance creator you can travel to. But for my first one, I wanted what I felt my staple would be. I wanted it to be sensual and feminine, but still luxurious and expensive-smelling—because I think there are so many perfumes out there that smell cheap and too sweet”, said Heidi to wwd.

Three perfumers from Givaudan had worked together to create this oriental–floral composition: Aurelien Guichard, Jean Guichard and Olivier Pescheux. The fragrance opens with notes of mandarin, pink pepper and pear. Its heart contains mimosa absolut, lily of the valley and sunflower. The base is composed of vanilla, tonka beans from Venezuela and Cosmone musk.

Top notes: mandarin, pear, pink pepper

Heart: mimosa, lily of the valley, sunflower

Base: vanilla, tonka, musk

4add5c136971289.jpg