Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

New interview with Fashion Week Daily:

Jack of all Trades

A Q&A session with model, host, & designer Heidi Klum

Thursday, July 26, 2007

(NEW YORK) Heidi Klum is more than just a pretty face. A model-cum-TV star-cum-designer, the mother of three recently took some time out of her hectic schedule to talk to The Daily about her new jewelry collection for Mouawad, her upcoming projects, and that oh-so-famous multi-million dollar Victoria's Secret diamond-studded bra.

Your previous line embodied the clover motif; it's still prominent in your Fall 2007 collection. What's the fascination with clovers?

I’ve always designed with the clover motif and incorporated it into all the pieces of the collection—that’s the signature! I love the symmetry and simple beauty of the shape, and I think it’s nice that there is a luck aspect to it because it’s something that you’re hopefully wearing every day.

Why did you decide to work with Mouawad?

I started working with Mouawad when I modeled their design for the multi-million dollar Victoria's Secret jeweled Fantasy Bra. I had shown Pascal Mouawad the photos of the clover detailing that I’d discovered on a trip to Milan and he agreed that this was a great design to build my collection around. Five years later, I’ve created over 400 different clover-inspired designs in everything from rings, necklaces, and bracelets to cuff-links and anklets. I’m always thinking of more inventive ways to incorporate it into the collection, and it’s a good thing it’s such a versatile theme to work with—I can expand on it forever.

Your new collection is so colorful! 18-karat yellow, white, and rose gold together—what was your inspiration behind this line?

I love how the yellow, white, and rose gold looks when worn together. In my own personal style, I like mixing colors and designs to get a more eclectic look, and I don’t mind mixing metals at all—in fact, I think it looks great. This season I tried to go a little more modern and tried to incorporate the clover in more subtle ways.

Mothers with young children often have a hard time wearing jewelry; the dangling earrings and sparkling bracelets seem like the toys of the century! How do you pull off the layered look with three toddlers?

I guess it’s perfect in that you always have a toy handy! No, I don’t know—I love layering—both my jewels and clothes. It’s fine for running around.

You are a Wonder Woman when it comes to business—besides the jewelry line, you are working on countless projects we'd love to hear about.

Besides my collection for Mouawad, I just finished designing my next silver collection for QVC which is available on August 7th, and I also helped create a personalized makeup palette for Victoria's Secret. We recently finished shooting the 4th season of Project Runway, which will air later this year, and I’m currently working on new designs for Birkenstock. This April, I finished shooting the second season of Germany’s Next Top Model and I start the next season early next year. I’ve also developed this amazing skincare line which will be released soon. I’m always working on so many projects, which is good. I like to keep busy.

What was your design process and how did you find the time to make it happen?

Throughout my career, I’ve been really fortunate to meet incredible people and travel to beautiful locations. And I am inspired by nearly everything—it might be the color of a building, or a vintage bracelet, or, as with the clover, the inlay on a cathedral floor. Even growing up, I loved to draw and add my own touch to everything I wore. Whenever I see a unique design or beautiful color, it sparks something in me and I automatically think about how I can incorporate it into whatever I'm working on. That’s why design doesn't feel like a normal "job" for me—it’s become very much a natural part of my life.

The jewels we wear can have a lot of emotional value. What's your favorite gem and the story behind it?

I love different stones depending on the occasion or specific piece, but one of my favorites is the yellow diamond. Not only does it have personal significance for me since it's my engagement ring, but it’s so unique compared to the traditional white diamond and I just think it’s gorgeous. I also have a great yellow diamond tennis bracelet and earrings—gifts from my generous husband—that I love and wear all the time.

The highest priced jewel in your new collection collection costs $40,000. Please tell us about this gem—it sounds like something to wear with that VS diamond-studded bra!

This piece is a show-stopper! It’s a yellow gold necklace with tiny sculpted clovers covered in pavé diamonds. Pavé settings require amazing craftsmanship, so it’s not just the stones that make the necklace so valuable, but the detailed workmanship that goes into creating the piece. The Red Carpet Collection pieces that are available on my website (heidiklum.com) for special order have a higher price point but I think they’re worth it—they’re truly works of art. Don’t I sound like a proud mom?

ANNABELLA ASVIK

ez_c, those are the ones I meant! :D

You were right. :hell yea!:

But tell me there are more than those 3 pictures!

Oh...well I guess I should tell the truth. There are just three, but one of them is also shown in the contents page (smaller size).

To be honest I was quite dissapointed with the shoot, I was expecting so much more having seen a cover as hot as that.

...oh who am I kidding! There are plenty of pics! Perhaps even a double-spread if I remember correctly... :D

Can't wait for the scans! :drool: