Bellazon

Boardwalk Empire

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

• 2 weeks later...

Boardwalk Empire Episode 6 Recap: Sacrificing in Style

In most world religions, life markers are commemorated by rituals. These rites usually include any number of common themes — pledges, trials, acts of humility, and ultimately, sacrifices. Episode Six of Boardwalk Empire revolves around these ideas, both literally and allegorically. We open with Teddy being berated by the local Priest as he prepares to make his First Communion. It's worth mentioning that the young lad's costume beats the tar out of most modern businessmen — that gorgeous grey patch-pocket jacket and red tie. Teddy is impressed with the notion that when you become a man, God begins to judge you for your actions. His 'cousin' Jimmy is also learning this lesson.

With the Commodore in failing health, Jimmy is feeling a leader's heat. Leander Whitlock attempts to give him some fatherly advice, urging him to be prudent in his dealings, and avoid acts of rash recrimination. Jimmy responds with insolence, but confidence… a confidence that is enhanced by one of his slimmest suits yet. He cuts a fierce figure, but this confidence wavers with a call from Manny Horvitz.

Strange acts of desperate alliance are happening on the boardwalk: The prancing Charles Thorogood (sporting amazing grass green brogues) hoists Nucky's case to Federal court, with the plan to have it brushed aside by the Attorney General. Waxy, Nucky, and Herman Kaufman are also planning the big Philly shipment, aided by Lucky Luciano and crew. Jimmy tattles on Kaufman after catching a glimpse of the posse together and the next scene shows the depth of Manny's ruthlessness. Kaufman, who Manny has known "since he was in knee-highs" hangs from the butchers ceiling — wounded, tortured, and near death. After obtaining the information needed, Manny prevails upon Jimmy to finish the job, to perform a 'sacrifice' to prove his loyalty. Jimmy renders the man just another piece of meat hanging in the aging cellar, and the covenant between himself and Manny is sealed.

Meanwhile Van Alden's faith is also tested. Wracked with guilt, he telephones Rose and claims to be guilty and unfit to perform his job. Simultaneously, Lucy delivers the child all alone in her dismal bedroom. Van Alden's true guilt is revealed though, as Rose arrives, frightened by Nelson's call, and discovers his bizarre secret: the incubation of a child inside another woman, all with the intent to relieve Rose of her barrenness.

Near the end, we see Manny, Lucky, Jimmy, and Waxy's men bearing down on each other on the road to shipment. They show restraint though, and use the interception as a chance to plot — to bring down Father, Son, and Holy Ghost (Commodore, Nucky, and Arnold Rothstein) in to a new, unholy center of power. By this point, we learn that faith (and sacrifice) are driving our characters (and those killer suits) toward darker, bloodier, and more lucrative depths of organized crime.

post-35528-1320253860_thumb.jpg

Boardwalk Empire Recap: Season 2 Episode 6 …quot; The Age of Reason

Ah, the exciting final days of being pregnant. Begging your fanatically religious, Prohibitionist, emotionally disconnected, duty-bound baby daddy to bring you some lemons after work. Getting a guilt trip from him because, yeah, you might be a jillion months pregnant and locked in an apartment until you give birth to the baby that I’m going to buy from you to give to my long-suffering wife, but my underling got severely burned while trying to expose my illegal activities. God, Lucy. Try to think of someone else for a change. Van Alden leaves, taking his sunshine with him, and Lucy’s water breaks.

Teddy is getting ready to make his First Confession by meeting with Father Brennan along with Nucky and Margaret. Nucky is rolling his eyes at Father’s interrogation, but Margaret is adamant about how serious this is. I was raised Catholic and still recall my First Confession as one of the more terrifying moments of my young life. The Church and Father Brennan’s insist that 7 is the Age of Reason, when you know the difference between Right and Wrong. However, it’s not quite yet the Age of Understanding Nuance and Being Sure that Going Into a Tiny Room with a Very Serious Authority Figure and Telling Him About What a Terrible Person You Already Are Because You Slipped and Said “Shit” that One Time Won’t Result In Immediate Damnation. So it’s not surprising to me that Margaret looks a little uneasy when Father tells her that she has to go to Confession right before Teddy so that she can set an example.Returning home from their meeting, Owen carries in Teddy, much to Katy’s delight. Margaret speaks sternly to Katy about her flirtation with Owen, because Margaret is a total buzzkill sometimes.

Later, Margaret and Nucky make love and Nucky leaves his undershirt on which makes me kind of queasy. He is also concerned about Margaret’s upcoming Confession, asking her, “How Catholic are you?” Like, on a scale from Not Going to Talk About How We Make a Living and That Time I Had Your Abusive Husband Killed to I Love the Taste of Communion Wafers?

George Remus calls Nucky during his massage, which is a little weird, and that’s before I’m reminded of the fact that Remus speaks in the third person. Remus thanks him for the Jess Smith connection and Nucky notes that he thinks this entitles him to a finder’s fee. This offends Remus and he notes that he received bills from his last stay at the Ritz, which is admittedly a little tacky. He should tell Remus about that time that he gave his house servants $2 extra in their pay!

Chip Thorogood appears in front of the judge to argue that Nucky’s election rigging case should be converted to a federal case. Despite making it plainly obvious how much of a fool he is, taking a page from the My Cousin Vinny Book of Beatdowns and Courtroom Attire, Thorogood is successful. He reports that good news to Nucky, who offers to throw a little somethin’ somethin’ at him for his troubles. Thorogood declares himself a red-blooded all-American guy, so Nucky grins and orders him some “apple pie.” Thorogood clarifies that he would prefer cherries a la mode, if you know what he means…and nobody does. Hookers will have to do. Nucky calls Harry Daugherty to thank him, but Daugherty is soon visited by Senator Edge. The Senator has it out for Nucky and threatens to ransack Daugherty’s Bureau of Veteran Affairs if they don’t put a serious attorney on Nucky’s case. Serious, I’m guessing, means someone who doesn’t wear green shoes to court or gets paid in prostitutes.

Over in the Land of the Liquor Smuggling Plot Line that I Don’t Totally Understand (there are too many people involved and I can’t keep straight who is screwing over who), one of the Commodore’s buddies meets with Jimmy and Gillian to discuss matters and to give Jimmy a light slap on the hand for scalping their co-conspirator. Meanwhile, Nucky is meeting with Chalky and the guys from Philadelphia who are supposed to be loyal to Manya. Arrangements are made and Jimmy sees Chayem and Waxey leaving the Ritz. Jimmy informs Manya of Chayem’s betrayal. Jimmy goes to Philadelphia to meet with Manya about this matter and finds that Chayem is already strung up in a meat locker. They demand information and Jimmy explains to Chayem that he’s really past the point of trying to hide anything. Chayem confesses that Nucky is getting liquor from McCoy. To punctuate the afternoon, Manya orders Jimmy to slice Chayem’s throat. Slice, gurgle, lather, rinse, repeat.

At home, Owen bumps into Margaret and she grills him about his relationship with Katy. He promises to show Katy and Margaret’s house respect and squeezes her arm in rather informal way. Later, at Teddy’s Confession, Margaret tells the priest that she’s drawn to Owen. Faith and begorrah!

Van Alden has been holding vigil at the hospital all day for Crispy Clarkson. He panics when Clarkson mutters about knowing what he did and rushes to call Rose. He declares himself unworthy of her or his job. Right before he outs himself to Supervisor Elliot, he realizes that Clarkson is delirious and recalling an event from childhood. He goes home and is like, “I brought lemons.” Lucy’s like, “I had a baby.” (For as graphic as this show is, I was surprised by the modesty with which they portrayed Lucy’s labor and delivery. I half expected the placenta to become a supporting character.) Van Alden rushes out to get a doctor and when he returns he’s confused to find the kitchen cleaned up and the bloody bedsheets soaking in the sink. Rose, alarmed by his phone call, has arrived to check on him. She doesn’t calm down when Van Alden explains that the baby is for her. Ingrate!

That night, in the woods, Jimmy, Harrow, and Manya disrupt the McCoy shipment. When they realize that Lucky and Lansky are the muscle, they work out an agreement to steal all of the liquor from Nucky.

A13202540322519129_1.jpg A13202540322519129_2.jpg A13202540322519129_3.jpg A13202540322519129_4.jpg A13202540322519129_5.jpg

I love how during annoying Margaret's confession for a quick second you think she's speaking of Nucky (at least I thought she was) because it's been clear that her supposed "moral center" has always been in conflict with Nucky's job and what he's known for, yet she sticks with him. Then she reveals it's the help (of course there have been more than one hints that that was coming) I loooooove richard harrow (jack huston) the lack of his presence last episode was unfortunate... but looking forward to seeing him on the screen again. I think he will leave his allegiance with Jimmy D and join Nucky. Just my thoughts! The scene with Nelson walking into the room Lucy was in and his wife being there....w o w!!!

I love how during annoying Margaret's confession for a quick second you think she's speaking of Nucky (at least I thought she was) because it's been clear that her supposed "moral center" has always been in conflict with Nucky's job and what he's known for, yet she sticks with him. Then she reveals it's the help (of course there have been more than one hints that that was coming) I loooooove richard harrow (jack huston) the lack of his presence last episode was unfortunate... but looking forward to seeing him on the screen again. I think he will leave his allegiance with Jimmy D and join Nucky. Just my thoughts! The scene with Nelson walking into the room Lucy was in and his wife being there....w o w!!!

that was jsut nthe best part. such a "oh fuck" moment. lolllll

got to say, i am disappointed in MArgaret giving in so quickly and easily to her desires.

loved the aprt of Owen strangling the guy and slicing his figners off. sooooo good. and so much for Lu-anne's statement of wanting to be a good mother to the baby. Nuk got taken on that one.

The second season is far better for me the first one. Every next episode is better. Maragaret becomes a very interesting character. It was very interesting to see her family from the old country. I liked the most the FED thread. Especially the scene when he came to Miss Federal Attorney and starts he statetment from I am married man. And he respond was great.

BIG fan of Boardwalk Empire.

I'm really excited to see what direction Margaret's story takes this season. She's my favorite BE lady. I don't know how I feel about the situation between Charlie Cox's character (Owen) and Margaret. On one hand, I think their relationship could be interesting. On the other hand, I really like Margaret and Nucky as a romantic team.

One character that doesn't get mentioned enough is Nelson Van Alden. Michael Shannon is arguably the BEST actor on that show!! (along with in my opinion Jack Huston who btw for anyone that might follow fashion- Dates Shannan Click :) ) Nelson's character is SO extreme in almost every decision and scene. It takes a lot of talent to play him the complexity of his character knows no limits. It's amazing, all of the actors on BE are just absolutely AMAZING.

Sadly mised it this week due to vaca, cant.wait kev informed.me of some key parts, at my asking, lollll. Have to agree about mag caving lolll, cause.for all of it, I do like her with nukkie, as for nelson, then man is down right odd and creepy, means hes a damn good actor to pull that kodos to him