Bellazon

Bambi Northwood-Blyth
Thumbnail

sarnic

Gritty Pretty Magazine Summer 2015

2_F1_F711700000578-3348620-_Bambi_is_back_Northwood.jpg2_F1_F711_F00000578-3348620-_Nautical_The_model_late.jpg2_F1_F731_A00000578-3348620-_Ready_for_summer_Austra.jpg2_F1_F731600000578-3348620-_Cover_model_The_glowing.jpg2_F1_F712300000578-3348620-image-a-58_144944976169.jpg2_F1_F732200000578-3348620-image-a-55_144944953193.jpgupload-653e3c80-935c-11e5-bc0a-654c531c3988.jpgupload-d0f49680-935d-11e5-a949-59c5d32f4cd7.jpg

upload-0d9ee3b0-8413-11e5-b136-13b163d5b

upload-abb251a0-935d-11e5-a949-59c5d32f4upload-6a5f84e0-935b-11e5-b1a0-c5722b26e

BAMBI

Life, love and being a REBEL:
Aussie model Bambi Northwood-Blyth is REFRESHINGLY REAL in her exclusive chat with Gritty Pretty.
PHOTOGRAPHY: CHRISTIAN BLANCHARD

WORDS: ELEANOR PENDLETON

SPOTLIGHT

It's 4:24AM at La Porte Space ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­– a creative hub in Sydney's south. Australian model Stephanie "Bambi" Northwood-Blyth arrives with a beaming bright smile and fresh, clean skin.

Dressed in white denim cut offs and an off the shoulder white linen top by Steele, Bambi puts out her hand and introduces herself in a sexy, husky voice as Stephanie ("Bambi" is actually her given middle name). The first thing any living human can notice about Bambi is those eyebrows. Oh, those eyebrows. After all, it was those bush-ily fabulous brows that turned a student from Melbourne into Australia's IT girl, modelling for Chanel and Balenciaga, and later going on to become the face of CK One and Armani Jeans, and gracing the covers of V and Harper's BAZAAR all before the tender age of 21.

Sitting in the makeup chair at La Porte Space – at the hands of master of maquillage, Tobi Henney – Northwood-Blyth says, "I don't wear a lot of makeup in real life so I love being able to dress up with a bold red lip or a dark smokey eye on shoots." She continues, "It's the favourite part of my job – playing different characters and wearing different looks."

Northwood-Blyth, who shot to fame after her cover for Harper's BAZAAR Australia in 2011, says of the time, "It was pretty crazy. I was like what the fuck? I never would've imagined a girl with crazy ass eyebrows would end up on the cover of a magazine like Harper's," she laughs.

After being invited to reflect back on her career, Northwood-Blyth reveals the one piece advice to her 14-year-old self would be this: DON'T PLUCK YOUR EYEBROWS. Funnily enough, her affinity for capital letters has seen all types of commentary from her Instagram following (which, at last count, was 179,000). "People always ask, why do you always yell? I've been doing it for so long and I think it's good to be consistent so now I just do it now without thinking," she says. "Really, I'm just excited!" she jokes by raising her voice.

"I don't wear a lot of makeup in REAL LIFE so I love being able to dress up with a BOLD RED LIP or a dark smokey eye on shoots."

After the aforementioned Harper's BAZAAR cover, modelling took over Northwood-Blyth's life very quickly. "I moved from Melbourne to Sydney and a few weeks later, I did a Skype casting with Balenciaga and then walked the runway for them shortly after that."

As most top models will attest, the fashion week circuit is always a bit of a frenetic blur. "When you're in the thick of fashion week, working 18-hour days for four weeks straight, it's manic. You run on adrenalin so it can be hard to compute that you're part of one of the biggest and most influential shows in the world." However, Northwood-Blyth does remember this single moment: "I was in Paris walking to meet Chanel. I entered a tiny elevator and walked into a small room where Anna Wintour and Karl [Lagerfeld] were just sitting there." When asked if she flipped out and had a total fangirl moment, she responds, "No, all I could think was, okay Stephanie, don't fuck up!"

Working the hours she does, Northwood-Blyth admits she finds it hard to maintain solid friendship groups but her one constant is her husband, Dan Single [whom she married at a bohemian-style ceremony at Byron Bay in 2013]. Of the wedding day, Northwood-Blyth says, "It was amazing. It's true when people say the actual day flies by. Our wedding was everything I hoped it would be and more. There was so much love and happiness shared by everyone."

Northwood-Blyth and Single, who is the designer behind Australian fashion label Single, admit they enjoy nothing more than being creative entrepreneurs together. "A year ago, we started D&B Pour Les Amour Rosé wine with Bird in Hand winery purely as a love project," says Northwood-Blyth. What quite literally began as a love story – the idea came to Northwood-Blyth and Single on their honeymoon in Vietnam – has now evolved into a fully-fledged business. "Dan designed our label with the help of André Saraiva, who is a Paris-based graffiti artist," says Northwood-Blyth. "We didn't expect our first rosé wine to immediately sell out," she says proudly. "We've just released our 2015 vintage, which is a delicate sparkling Pinot Noir with strawberry, cherry and red apple notes.

"I was in PARIS walking to meet CHANEL. I entered a tiny elevator and walked into a small room where Anna Wintour and KARL [LAGERFELD] were just sitting there. All I could think was, okay Stephanie, don't fuck up!

"When I'm working, I just try to get involved and be really FOCUSED and present on the job. I believe ATTITUDE is everything…”

Having just returned from London the day before our cover shoot to star in Make Up For Ever's latest campaign, Northwood-Blyth admits modelling for beauty campaigns are one of her favourite gigs. "Shooting the Impulse fragrance campaign in New York City [in 2014] was so much fun," she says. "It was awesome because I got to work with my best friends, Erin Heatherton and Zippora Seven."

But, for all its fun and frivolity, if she had to throw modelling in, Northwood-Blyth says, "I'd like to be a racing car driver. I think it would be pretty fucking fun." And, just like that, after what was meant to be a 15-minute interview and has now turned into an hour of no-holds-barred convo between what feels like mates, Northwood-Blyth brings it all back down to reality: refreshingly candid and in all her unfiltered, down-to-earth, bit-of-a-potty-mouth glory.

568b1a5340298_ScreenShot2016-01-04at8.18

Vulkan Magazine

vulkan-magazine-kevin-ntoi-bambi-northwood-blyth.jpg

Photography: THOM KERR

+Interview

Vulkan Magazine’s journalist Kevin Ntoi has had the pleasure of interviewing the beautiful Bambi Northwood-Blyth. From her early reactions to her success to latest career ventures, Kevin takes a moment to catch up with Bambi and see whats really on and poppin in the life of this rising model.

Q) What would you describe as your first major shoot? Who was it for and what was going on in your mind?
A) When I shot at Karl Lagerfelds house in Paris, call time was midnight and I was hella nervous

Q) At what point did you realize that you could explore modeling full time as a career?
A) Still mind boggled over that one ! I am extremely grateful for it

Q) Which job would you say was a career defining moment?
A) Securing an exclusive with Balenciaga for SS Fashion week.

Q) What was your first major magazine cover, and what was it like seeing yourself on newsstands?
A) Australia was where the covers first came out, it was pretty weird walking in and seeing my huge eyebrows and weird face on Harpers Bazaar, whenonly a few weeks prior I was buying them to read.

Q) You are constantly working, and with that comes a lot of travelling. What is the secret to being a full time model and maintaining time for your personal life?
A) Working close with your agents, and having great friends. No need to sacrifice anything if you have a great team. 

Q) What is the hardest thing about being away from home and constantly traveling internationally? How do you deal with it?
A) Packing, unpacking, repacking, forgetting things… but it’s always exciting landing and leaving and reconnecting and discovering new places.

Q) If you weren’t a model, what would you be doing?
A) Doing the same as what I’m doing now, but not posing so often

Q) Who is Bambi to you (How would you describe yourself to a stranger)?
A) “FASCINATING, A MUST SEE, MAGNIFICENT, MIND BLOWING, A TRIUMPH, THE BEST THING TO COME OUT OF AUSTRALA IN MANY YEARS, *****!”

Q) Seeing your life now, what would you say to your 15 year old self?
A) Don’t touch them brows, they gonna make you famous.

Q) Outside of modeling, you currently have a clothing line as well as a range of rosé wine : can you tell us a little bit more about these projects? 
A) Our Rosé Pour Les Amour my husband and I do with Bird In Hand Winery. Sipping wine for work purposes is a dream. BBAM my clothing range, and Stance Socks (who I make socks with) are awesome, I love being creative, so to combine fashion and art is super fun

Q) You’ve just been appointed one of the new hosts for the Australian music network Channel V – are you excited about the role?
A) So excited ! The team at Channel V are great, and I cant wait to explore this new venture.

Q) If you could insert yourself in your favourite TV show, which show would it be?
A) Channel V, as a host. Dream!!! 

Q) 1 fact about yourself that many people don’t know or realize?
A) I once worked at McDonalds. Would you like FRIES with that !?

Q) We know you love Nicki Minaj, Kanye and Jay-Z … firsr ong that comes to mind, from each of them?
A) LOL! Beez in the Trap by Nicki, Runaway – Extended version from by, Crazy in Love by Queen B

http://www.vulkanmagazine.com/bambiinterview/

264_B9_EF100000578-2978715-_Sneak_peek_She_wore_a_t.jpg264_B9_EFD00000578-0-image-m-54_1425447076149.jpg264_B9_F2_F00000578-0-image-a-55_1425447098606.jpg264_B9_F4900000578-0-image-a-40_1425446257716.jpg264_B9_F5300000578-0-image-m-53_1425447016702.jpg264_B9_EDF00000578-2978715-_High_glamour_Other_look.jpg264_B9_EE500000578-2978715-_High_glamour_Other_look.jpg264_B9_EF600000578-2978715-_Business_time_Looking_l.jpg264_B9_F2_B00000578-2978715-_Lady_like_Things_take_a.jpg264_B9_F3500000578-0-image-a-51_1425446715665.jpg

dailymail

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...