Bellazon

David Beckham
Thumbnail

Evelyn

Beckham BBC interview

"Playing for Real Madrid is the best thing that's ever happened to me"

David Beckham rejoined the England squad after a year's absence and was acclaimed on his return by fans and teammates alike. Prior to rejoining England, the English star talked about his four years at Real Madrid in an interview to BBC's Five Live.

"Playing for Real Madrid is the best thing that's ever happened to me." This blunt remark begins the interview David Beckham gave to BBC's Five Live, in which he talked about his four years at the Club. "These have been four fantastic years despite having several problems on the sporting side of the Club and not winning as many titles as I thought I would," added the player, "When you play for Real Madrid, you aspire to win. You feel obliged to, but I've only managed to win one trophy in the four years I've been at the greatest Club in the world. I now have a great chance of leaving with a League title in my pocket. That would be wonderful, and the perfect way to say goodbye. I'm currently playing very well at Real Madrid and I want to leave that way. I'm enjoying playing as much as I did years ago and I feel like the happiest man on earth when I take the pitch."

Difficult start

"It's not easy to start anew in a different country when you don't speak the language or know the local customs... My wife, my children and myself arrived in a new city and we needed some time to get used to living in it. We didn't have friends or family in Spain and everyone had their eyes on us. Every step we took was closely followed and that didn't make things easy."

Becks pointed out he an his wife tried to lead a simple life "because we don't want our kids to suffer," but he knows how difficult that is, being that he and his wife are "public figures."

Support

The midfielder highlited the good atmosphere on the team and talked about the support his teammtes gave him when he joined the squad, particularly Roberto Carlos. "Bumping into Roberto Carlos is one of the best things that can happen to someone. He is an excellent person and he's always been very nice to me, Victoria and the kids. He's always been very affectionate with us. We've had lunch at his house many days, spent several Sundays together, gotten together for barbecues... We've had a great time with him. All the Brazilians on the team have been very good to me and my family and I will always be grateful to them for that."

"There is a great atmosphere on the team. We have a great time, always joking around and laughing... Of course, when Capello is around we act seriously and work hard. I enjoy every training session; I've never experienced such good vibes in a dressing room before. Even my kids have fun when they come to training! The other day, my son Brooklyn ran up to me and said, 'Dad, Roberto Carlos' legs are huge, the biggest legs in the world! Have you seen them?' I couldn't stop laughing."

Praise for Zidane

"I will never forget him, neither as a person -he's one of the best I've ever met- nor as a player. I knew he was the best player in the world before I signed for Real Madrid, but he impressed me even more when I joined the team. I was up close to the best player I had ever seen, and will ever see. I will never forget what he said to me before he left: he sat down next to me in the dressing room and told me it had been an honour for him to play with me. It was incredible."

Praise for the fans

"I will never forget them. People in Spain have been very nice to me since I arrived. They have always made me feel at home and showcased their affection they have for me. I still remember the last game in which the fans chanted my name. It is a moving, wonderful and unforgettable experience to have the entire Bernabéu screaming your name. I feel the fans love me. I will never forget the people of Madrid. I will never be able to pay them back for all they've given me."

Tough times

"I suffered for being left out of Real Madrid and England for some time this season. It's tough to watch a game on TV, knowing you can't do anything to help your team. Luckily, my teammates always supported me and helped me pull through those difficult times. The great thing is I've alredy forgotten about it and I enjoy playing football as much as ever before. I'm very happy and I hope we end up winning the League."

AC Milan keep tabs on Real Madrid ace Beckham

AC Milan are monitoring David Beckham's situation with LA Galaxy.

The Mail on Sunday says Beckham is having second thoughts about his move to the United States after his successful England return on Friday against Brazil. The Real Madrid star fears the drop in quality in the MLS will affect his ability to enjoy a big European Championships next year.

It's been reported Beckham may seek to buy himself out of his £125 million agreement with LA Galaxy and Milan are monitoring developments closely.

The England midfielder admitted last week he would have signed for the Rossoneri if not for Galaxy's offer in December.