Bellazon

Mathias Lauridsen
Thumbnail

persuazn

I am wondering if he does slowly backs off from the model's spotlight and works for something else (like the possible source of income after he decides to dissapear for good) and it's his own choice or perhaps the intrest of fashion designers in him is getting weaker? Because, you know...my point of view is that, somehow Mathias stopped trying or it looks like it. Those are 2 reasons I think of to explain his lack of apearance...

There are many reasons it could be happening.

1. The economy has seen every business cut corners, even if it's just an excuse to hoard profits and fire employees to save money. If they have doubts that a particular model sells clothes or cologne or whatever else is sold, they just want to hire someone to do the work. As much as we think Mathias is unique and the best, there are more male models than ever, probably cheaper. Marty can speak to this, or others can, but I recall at some point his people were saying they wanted to make him more exclusive. Maybe it's working just like he and they wanted, or maybe it's not. In my view, he's taking work this year that's not as high profile as it was in years past, which suggests he does want to work for the right price, and that may be for lesser known clients that are using his face to make them seem more cache, but it may also be that other big name clients have moved on.

2. Age makes this inevitable. Most of the top models are younger -- part of a young model craze that's been going on for some time now, and it's getting worse, I think. More and more are recruited before they're 18. This is why Mathias opened shows before he was 25. He's 27 now, and the older models get, the more they move to catalog. David Gandy and Noah Mills are exceptions and clearly cater to a different appeal, and it's why Noah Mills and the like move in to acting. But the modeling biz is definitely youth obsessed. He's going to get older, and we'll see how that affects his appeal.

3. It's the nature of the entertainment business. A lot of top actors disappear see their careers drop off for no apparent reason -- other than that the public wants what's new and fresh. Why did Tom Hanks suddenly go from Oscar darling to someone who can't open a film anymore? Trends. Fashion is worse in this regard. Mathias has had a good run and is still in demand for top clients, if Dior and H&M still want him. But he may have saturated to a point where people are ready to see who's new. Remember when Alex Lundqvist was everywhere? He's now considered a "90s model" even though he turned 30 in 2002. His heyday was from age 22-28. He still does some high-profile work, but walking runways and appearing in every ad? That stopped around the time he was 30, IIRC.

4. He definitely might have burned out -- for now, or for a long time. He has other interests, he's talked about opening a business with friends, and we know he's said to the press he's not really into the parties and even the fashion itself. But he's also said he's going to make it last as long as it can.

At any rate, I don't know if it's for lack of trying. But he was a hit when he was 20-21 and has had a strong 6-7 year run. It's not something that's necessarily sustainable at the same volume, just by nature.

Well, I think it is natural that he chooses to work less. He is only doing big money jobs, e.g. Armani, H&M, etc. Doing runways and magazine jobs pays very little and are extremely tiring, young models do that so they would become more established. Mathias is established, he does not have to do that...He only works with the best of the best, e.g. the last editorial with Hedi Slimane. He has been working for so long, so I'm sure he would rather do things he really enjoys...

Two years ago Mathias said in an interview , that he is the old man in the game. Now he is modeling for nearly 8 years which is a long time for a model, especially for a male model. There are only a few female top models who work beyond their thirties because they are great models , famous or because they have no other talents.

We all know Mathias is a great model , for me he is the best :heart: . He is doing the job for a long time and we must remember it was not his idea to become a model. But he got other talents, he is interested in design and we know he is a great artist. What he is going to do, we will know when he is going to answer our questions one day :laugh: .

About fashion industry they are are always searching for new and always younger models. I remember one cute guy who was 16 and looked as if 14 or younger. ( No, I don´t have nasty ideas about photographers, designers etc who want the models so young :yuckky: ) In former times they used such young models for teenager magazines , now they wear Armani suits which looks ridiculous.

Like it or not we all know one day Mathias won´t be modeling any more and do something else :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: