Bellazon

River Viiperi
Thumbnail

Pix

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting these pics, sanja. It's great to see River working again. This last scan contains a very interesting article which I've translated. It tells us a lot about what's going on with him and his career (and Paris Hilton too, of course!)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

El pais semanal 6th April 2014
post-20217-0-1446075528-46417_thumb.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Formula of Eternal Youth

River Viiperi’s name is preceded by the name Paris. Hilton, of course. He knows it and he uses it. Two years ago, he hooked up with her at a New York discotheque and they’ve been inseparable since. “Only if work demands it,” the model says on the telephone from backstage after a runway show. She has redefined the business of being a celebrity in the 21st century and he aspires to be an A student. Everything you want to know about their love and adventures is shared on their Twitter accounts (she has 12.6 million followers, he has 133,000) and gossip websites.

But, what remains of River Viiperi, other than “Paris Hilton’s Spanish boyfriend”? “I don’t care if people are stuck on that. I know what I’m like, where I came from and how hard it has been for me to get where I am. Mine is an average family of modest means. Anyone who hates me or has it in for me, that’s his problem. I’ve never taken advantage of people; I try not to. Even in my career as a model I’ve been offered help but I haven’t accepted it, because for me it’s a challenge to try to do it all by myself.”

As he talks, the word “dream” pops up over and over – making it come true. A dream of success based on his own image in a culture that if you’re not tech-savvy or don’t have a son with raging hormones and a smartphone in his hand all day long, you’re unlikely to understand. Viiperi did grow up with all that and he has learned to take advantage of it. His objective (the dream) is to build his own brand all by himself. And it already exists. He has been selling himself online for several weeks with his initials in the form of caps, sweatshirts, etc. “The idea is to inspire young guys like me not to care about other people’s opinions, to help them convey that indifference through my signature, to think that if you really want it and it’s an achievable dream, you’ll reach it no matter how much others may criticize you along the way.”

He has made a virtue (his business) out of adversity (the haters – people who express their hatred against someone online.) They said that he was Paris Hilton’s toy boy (she is 33 and he is 22), and he trumpets it, printed on tee shirts. He says that everything he has learned he owes to his father (former broker and golfer Rafael Canomanuel, from Madrid) and his mother (Finnish actress and model Riitta Viiperi). His father encouraged him to read books on the art of investing in spite of the fact that he dropped out of college early – “I was bored, I knew that memorizing so much, memorizing wasn’t going to lead me anywhere in life” --; his mother told him that a major in Economics could wait. “I’ll never forget one of the pieces of advice my mother gave me when I began posing and that I’m still putting into practice five years later. She told me: ‘When you get out of the shower and you’re drying your hair or whatever, even if it’s just five minutes, practice your facial expressions.’ That way, what happened to Zoolander, who only has one expression, won’t happen to me -- ha ha ha. Even though the ‘blue steel’ expression is used all the time, everyone asks you for it.”

It’s not that much of a joke. He says that he boned up on Ben Stiller’s picture about a brainless model when he landed his first big job just a few months after getting started – opening for a Calvin Klein fashion show. “I was shaking like a leaf all over. I could hardly breathe from beginning to end on the runway because of my nerves.” The echo of his existence reaches us through parties and fashion events. Does he consider himself frivolous? “What does ‘frivolous’ mean? That you’re a cool dude, an extrovert? If that’s what you mean, then yeah. I’m a happy person, I like to kid around, have a good time. I’m very sarcastic, when I make a joke I do it very seriously and people don’t get it. So you explain it to them and then they feel stupid because they didn’t get it” [he laughs].

He keeps coming back to the challenge of “making it” all by himself. “I could have used my girlfriend’s contacts, but I preferred not to.” He says that Paris has 17 products under her name, and he jokes that she’s on her way to overtaking the Olsen twins. “Basically, we’re talking about the person who invented this business based on really cultivating her image. When Paris premiered 'The Simple Life', nobody famous or any famous-wannabes were doing anything like that; nobody was getting paid to go to a discotheque. She was in the right place at the right time, but if she hadn’t known how to handle it astutely, she wouldn’t have gotten to where she is.” He shares his life with her in Los Angeles, where he recently moved after three years in New York. With her and with “six dogs, guinea pigs, a miniature pony, a pig, flying squirrels, three cats and six ferrets,” he adds. “Animals are her passion. And together we’ve just adopted a miniature pinscher named Dollar. Let’s see if he brings me luck. He has his own Instagram. The two of us manage it together. The doggie already has 25,000 followers.”

He plans to keep nurturing his online profile on all fronts. “Twitter is important. If Justin Bieber, who has 50 million followers, wears one of my tee shirts, I know that I can sell more than if I wear it. And when a label calls you as a model, the number of followers can be the deciding factor for them to give you the job instead of giving it to somebody else. And the haters are also a part of this, too. What would become of us without them and the ones who come to your defense? It’s the vicious circle of the social networks.”

The conversation is dragging on and he has to hang up. They’re waiting for him at the hair salon. They have to touch him up to go to a party, but before he goes, he takes a quick look in the mirror.

--El País Semanal, (Madrid) 4 April 2014

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...