Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

The media blitz is particularly interesting. A lot of it (at least on the US/EU side) is shaped by the widespread dislike of Russa, the Cold War hangover, and the fact that most cannot even point out Crimea on a map.

The nationalist Russian media is prideful and currently touting the benefits of the annexation..kind of like the US media before Iraq.

This makes me crack up on that topic

Putin is among the nominees for the Nobel Peace Prize.  hahaha...  :)

^ Fine, let daddy Vlady be your good neighbor then! :whistle:

Vlad's the lad! :D My parents were part of the non aligned nations, get along with everyone, earn all the money! Hooray for the Yugos! (not the vehicle :rofl: That is nothing to be proud of believe me) :whistle: Plus, that's just media for you, nobody will point out when America goes into a country and criticize them for doing it "to protect citizens" yet when Russians do it the Western media throws a hissy fit and we should all cry because Russia is stable country and what must be do when countries are stable? Make them feel the misery! Happiness forbidden! :persuazn: Double standards yo'. I don't have many issues with Putin and actually like how he doesn't put up with anyone's crap and doesn't appease every nation there is like the rest of the world does (back in ye old 1930's, the majority of nations appeased Hitler and let him do whatever he wanted and didn't do anything, until people got bored and he took Poland, and tada, finally the nations get together and try to stop Nazi-Germany which escalates into destruction), might I remind you Putin didn't want to invade Syria? Unlike everybody else that thought it was appropriate to go bomb it and yet again get involved in another countries business  :cain: If you try to use the "it's breaking international laws.." excuse that won't exactly be fair either since America supports Israel, who are completely paranoid that every country around them will bomb them and criticizes other nations for having chemical weapons yet they have a whole bunch themselves and have basically created an apartheid system between the Palestinians, a crap load worse if you ask me, yet they've never been condemned and get funded more than $2 billion a year to protect themselves against some 'enemy', offend them and get the "Anti Semitism" card thrown at you. Literally smell those 66 broken resolutions, and no action against them

post-67297-0-1446061311-47374_thumb.gif

Oh yeah I know my politics  :laugh:

Putin is among the nominees for the Nobel Peace Prize.  hahaha...  :)

Was :) And the whole Nobel Peace Prize for 2013 was literally revolving around Syria. Putin was the only G8 leader if I'm correct that didn't want to use military action against Syria, and was the most calm in trying to want to resolve a dispute. 

I forgot to mention Russia has always had a naval base in Crimea, should we all go crazy because other countries have bases in Afghanistan and other Middle Eastern nations? No. If people want to say something, a calm discussion will be the solving method. Criticize Putin all you want but Ukraine is in need of serious stability, and all he's doing is protecting his naval base, he didn't roll in a steam tank and run over somebody. 

Speaking of which, that might not be so bad if somebody made a thread for politics (Y)

^  You must be really disappointed with your boy, Putin, now that he is trying to take Crimea at gunpoint in violation of the Ukrainian constitution and the Budapest Memorandum.

I don't have many issues with Putin and actually like how he doesn't put up with anyone's crap and doesn't appease every nation there is like the rest of the world does (back in ye old 1930's, the majority of nations appeased Hitler and let him do whatever he wanted and didn't do anything, until people got bored and he took Poland, and tada, finally the nations get together and try to stop Nazi-Germany which escalates into destruction)

Many commentators are comparing today's Russia & Putin to 1938 or the Soviet Union...But I think it's wrong historicism.  

Geopolitics, stripped of its rhetoric and hand waving, is ultimately about being backed by raw force and economic power projection.  The German military was a powerhouse by the late 1930s and easily the best in the world and the second largest (after the Soviet Union's military).  In comparison, the underfunded (1930s) US army was far behind and several times smaller.

Today,  it's flipped the US military is a giant that spends more than the next ten or so countries combined.  But the American political culture is tired of war, and the armed force is the most sophisticated and experienced but also exhausted after a decade.  It's not 2001.......it would be also difficult to get the 'moral high ground' again since that political capital was spent in the early 2000s. 

So Moscow is acting on their own interests.   From the Russian perspective, they went into the Ukraine to prevent the Ukraine from eventually joining NATO and the EU since politics had started to shift there..  The Crimea is also a region of economic and historical significance...trade, raw material, transportation,..... hundreds of thousands of Russian soldiers have died fighting for it in the past two centuries.  It's an place where the armed force, and thus, Moscow, can project power.  Putin, in this respect, is behaving as a Pipeline manager.  Also, politically speaking, the Ukraine has always have a portion of their population being pro-Russia.

What matters: The strongest military power in the EU is currently Great Britain.  Russia has recently edged up to #1 in European military expenditures but their military is not up to the quality of Britain's armed force and is second rate in many areas, such as electronic warfare.  A lot of their equipment is 1990s vintage and their ability to perform complex, surgical operations is not fully known.   Ditto for the professionalism of their armed force.  The Russian army, as the armed force of the largest country, has a very long tradition of emphasizing mechanized warfare.  This is a bit old fashioned in today's world but still significant.  Their defense mindset is predicated on invading and grabbing large territories in a cost efficient manner. (note that cost efficient does not mean, preserving civilian lives or property). 

The American and British operational art is more about logistics and power projection.  They also emphasize surgical operations. electronics, and casualty minimization, due to the weakness of the armed force to public opinion.  In contrast, the Russia performance in the Russio-Georgian war was solid, but it led to high losses of civilian lives and lots of destruction of civilian property in a short period of time.  

The Russian's combat performance has been improving since their wars in the mid 1990s.  They've progressed since their terrible performance in Grozny 1995 (6 week campaign, 135,000 civilian dead and injured..) but their military is definitely more old fashioned than the US/UK coalition. 

Anyway, that's what I see of the 'order of battle' that is 'backing up' the fluff of politicians these days.

^  You must be really disappointed with your boy, Putin, now that he is trying to take Crimea at gunpoint in violation of the Ukrainian constitution and the Budapest Memorandum.

So who is the Nazi Germany in this scenario?

Putin sells arms to and has a naval base in Syria and he is a hero for ignoring their use of chemical weapons?

(btw the US should stay the fuck out of Syria)

I don't think any of the EU countries can really be called a military power outside of the UK.  They have very limited ability to project the power.  As NATO member countries, both France and Germany have very small, but professional and well equipped defensive militaries which can be expanded in the case of real war (a nucleus of sorts).  

Would France be included in that? France has remained relatively quiet for the past couple of months