Release Date: No Release Date Available

Director: Oren Peli

Writer: Oren Peli

Starring: Katie Featherston Micah Sloat

Studio: DreamWorks

Rating: R

paranormalactivitydwrks.jpg

SYNOPSIS

A young couple suspects that their house is haunted by a malevolent entity. They set up video surveillance to capture evidence of what happens at night as they sleep. Their surveillance and home videos have been edited into the 99 minute feature film "Paranormal Activity".

Bloody Disgusting Review

A scary haunted house movie! A scary haunted house movie! And it’s not even Poltergeist!

Yes, Paranormal Activity managed to do something that almost no other haunted house movie in the past 25 years has managed to do: actually be scary (1408 got a few jumps out of me, though nowhere near as effective as this). Like Blair Witch, it’s presented entirely through self-shot footage (or from a fixed tripod in their bedroom), and ramps up from simple noises to truly freaky ‘violent’ acts. The increasingly terrifying nature of the scares is what really makes the film work – if you just watched the finale by itself, you’d be pretty perplexed as to why anyone was scared by it (just like Mike standing in a corner isn’t really that interesting unless you’ve been totally sucked into the previous 80 minutes).

Also, as the film is entirely digital video that looks no better/worse than what any average Joe can shoot, the scares are fully believable. There’s a subconscious acceptance that what you are seeing is real when it’s digital video (it’s not all glossed up and “cinematic”), which is what made those Ratchet and Clank commercials work so great. So when added to the perfectly paced ramping of scares, it proves incredibly frightening.

The acting is also good, something that posed a problem with a few characters in Diary of the Dead. There’s really only two people in the film, and unlike Heather in Blair Witch, they never get too shrill or just plain unlikable, even as they begin to bicker with one another. I totally believe them as a couple, and they sell their fear quite well too. And the film does a good job of making their actions with the camera logical for the most part (100% admiration for how the finale is “filmed”).

The hilarious thing about the whole presentation was that it was preceded by 10 minutes of some new A&E show called Paranormal State, which deals with a “real” paranormal research team. The footage was cheesy and laughable, and without any sort of suspense. So yes, the “real show” wasn’t as believable as the movie that we knew damn well was fake. Then the guys who host/produce the show came out after the movie and more or less dismissed the film while tooting their own horn. Wisely, I (and many others) just left them to suck their own cocks while I talked to the filmmaker/cast of Paranormal Activity in the lobby. Which is the great thing about Screamfest, and any independent film festival in general; you can often just chat up with the filmmaker after the film and not be bothered by 40 other people in the process. Not to mention laugh at the actors in stupid basic cable shows for talking about things like “Dead time”.

Not sure if there’s a release date for this one (it doesn’t even have an IMDb page!) but hopefully it will play in theaters (though I suspect it will play just as well at home). Take it from me, dismisser of nearly every film of its kind I have ever seen – this one DOES work as an actual ‘scary’ movie.

Score: 8 / 10

QUOTES

“THE SENSE OF DREAD

Is Sustained the Entire Time”

- Peter Paras E! ONLINE

“GENUINELY HAIR-RAISING”

- ORLANDO SENTINEL

“Go See It. Tell Your Friends

GOOD LUCK SLEEPING”

- FILM SCHOOL REJECTS

“THE SCARIEST

MOVIE OF THE DECADE ”

- CHICAGONOW.COM

“THIS IS A FILM YOU MUST SEE IN THEATERS”

- Brad Brevet ROPE OF SILICON

“'Paranormal Activity' is

FREAKY & TERRIFYING”

- Owen Gleiberman ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

“THE SENSE OF DREAD

Is Sustained the Entire Time”

- Peter Paras E! ONLINE

“GENUINELY HAIR-RAISING”

- ORLANDO SENTINEL

“Go See It. Tell Your Friends

GOOD LUCK SLEEPING”

- FILM SCHOOL REJECTS

“THE SCARIEST

MOVIE OF THE DECADE ”

- CHICAGONOW.COM

“THIS IS A FILM YOU MUST SEE IN THEATERS”

- Brad Brevet ROPE OF SILICON

REVIEW: Imdb

No nonsense horror

This isn't your typical horror movie. Not flashy with insane special effects and buckets of fake blood, not some giant killer with a knife or chainsaw or machete. This is exactly what it was called, Paranormal Activity, a movie that once it grabs you it never lets go. I am going out on a limb with confidence in saying I am the biggest horror fan alive, no offense to anyone but just test me and you'll agree. This is now in my top 3 best movies of all time (If you don't have annoying people laughing in the theater while you watch it). Every moment was intense and breathtaking, a horror work of art. the supernatural is so unknown, movies like this have a way of forcing themselves into your mind and staying there. This is the epitome of that, I am not going to say much more. Please watch it!

• 2 weeks later...

im afraid to go see it...is it like the blair witch with alot of camera shaking? Because..I will throw up like in Cloverfield..ugh. it made me sick for all the shaking and quick movements from the camera. I do want to see it maybe just not in the theater, and with a bucket near by lol

• 2 months later...
It was freaky as hell! I haven't been able to sleep well for 2 nights because I am so scared.

Never watching it again and regret doing so.

lol

That's basically what happened to me.

I forced myself to think nothing but positive thoughts all night(because the demon fed off their negativity in the movie) and wouldn't turn my tv off when I went to bed.

Part of me wants to watch it again but I just...can't.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...