Bellazon

Vampire Chronicles

Prettyphile

Anne Rice's 'Vampire Chronicles' Returns, Who is Lestat?!

We've been scrambling all week to confirm the following report, especially since it came from a very reliable source and is insanely logical considering the popularity of vampires these days. I guess something good has come from the success of Twilight as Bloody Disgusting has learned exclusively that Universal Pictures is looking to restart Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles, which tells the tale of the vampire Lestat Du Lioncort (through his narration), a nobleman-turned-vampire in the late 18th century. No word yet on how they plan on unrolling this franchise, but we did find out who they are talking with to replace Tom Cruise and Stuart Townsend. Read on for the skinny.

We have confirmed this afternoon that ROBERT DOWNEY JR. is in close talks to play the vampire Lestat in Universal Pictures' The Vampire Chronicles, a newly rebooted franchise based on Anne Rice's popular novels.

Lestat appears as a major character in both motion picture adaptations of The Vampire Chronicles novels. In Neil Jordan's 1994 film adaptation of Interview with the Vampire, he is portrayed by Tom Cruise. In the 2002 film adaptation of Queen of the Damned, he is played by Stuart Townsend.

The Vampire Chronicles is a series of novels by Anne Rice that revolves around the fictional character Lestat de Lioncourt, a French nobleman made into a vampire in the 18th century.

From Wiki: The Vampire Chronicles

Interview with the Vampire (1976)

The Vampire Lestat (1985)

The Queen of the Damned (1988)

The Tale of the Body Thief (1992)

Memnoch the Devil (1995)

The Vampire Armand (1998)

Merrick (2000)

Blood and Gold (2001)

Blackwood Farm (2002)

Blood Canticle (2003)

god-like for delivering about 20 yrs worth of stellar performances and overcoming one of the most difficult

things on earth to overcome <drug addiction>

and hes a fiercely intelligent, well read man.. youd be surprised what hes read

but in the end im still in 100% agreement. he has no business playing lestat.

I don't feel comfortable with the Vampire Chronicles being made into movies again; especially with the whole ridiculous "sparkly" Twilight vampire fad that's going on. No one is or ever will be good enough to play Lestat, BUT I believe Downey is very capable. I'd rather see him play Anne's character, with his years worth of acting, than some fresh-on-the-scene twit that couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. The producers will either choice some pretty-boy with no acting ability, or an actor that knows the business well.

I especially wouldn't want a huge Anne Rice fan to play a character. Someone fresh to her stories might have a better understanding as to seeing through Lestat's eyes.

i agree with all youve said here, Morgan.. if anyone had the talent to play it... downey would rock it.. it just wont work..

and im tired of annes work being messed with unecessarily

and right before i came in to type this.. i found pics of a british male model...

i haveno wishes for him to play lestat or anyone else for that matter

but ill be damned is he doesnt look almost EXACTLy as lestat has always looked in my minds eye

check this shit out... does he come close to how any of you envisioned lestat??

his name is sam pullee

thebelgianhare posted these

post-16964-0-1446017839-65988_thumb.jpg

post-16964-0-1446017839-6756_thumb.jpg

post-16964-0-1446017839-69967_thumb.jpg

I especially wouldn't want a huge Anne Rice fan to play a character. Someone fresh to her stories might have a better understanding as to seeing through Lestat's eyes.

I disagree here Morgan; Lestat is such a complex character, he changes and yet stays the same. I do not think that someone who has not read the books would understand who exactly our Brat Prince is. To have someone who cannot act try to touch even a breath of him has been done before.

Stuart Townsend touched Lestat's arrogance and his anger.(touched it badly) He is exactly what you get when you give a role to someone who does not know a thing about Lestat...who is no fan.

In my belief Tom Cruise played Lestat beautifully, because you have to remember that this was Lestat from Louis's POV. Louis only saw Lestat in his hatred and power hungry. BUT if you watch Tom closely...you will see love and sadness in his eyes. Tom read the books when he accepted the role, he became a fan. And it is because of that, that he was able to add depth to Lestat. While he did not look the role...he WAS Lestat.

That model is rather beautiful Penny...I find his face a tad to skinny and long but he fits very well :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree here Morgan; Lestat is such a complex character, he changes and yet stays the same. I do not think that someone who has not read the books would understand who exactly our Brat Prince is. To have someone who cannot act try to touch even a breath of him has been done before.

Stuart Townsend touched Lestat's arrogance and his anger.(touched it badly) He is exactly what you get when you give a role to someone who does not know a thing about Lestat...who is no fan.

In my belief Tom Cruise played Lestat beautifully, because you have to remember that this was Lestat from Louis's POV. Louis only saw Lestat in his hatred and power hungry. BUT if you watch Tom closely...you will see love and sadness in his eyes. Tom read the books when he accepted the role, he became a fan. And it is because of that, that he was able to add depth to Lestat. While he did not look the role...he WAS Lestat.

That model is rather beautiful Penny...I find his face a tad to skinny and long but he fits very well :shock:

i agree wholeheartedly with you regarding tom cruise as lestat. when i first heard he wast to play him in the early 90's... i was soooo angry. i was going to boycott the movie... i was plain ole' bitch supreme on the subject.

but after i saw anne endorse the tom in the movie, i decided to give it a chnace and found that

while i thought TOM was going to suck and 'oh how perfect Pitt will be as Louis'

i realized the exact opposite was true. tom embodied lestats personality to PERFECTION in my eyes,it was Pitt with whom i was severely disappointed.

the last scene in 'interview' which i know wasnt in the book and was just written in for the movie audience, is actually

my fave part... in those few minutes.... tom embodied EVERYTHING that is lestat. his arrogance,carelessness and wicked humor.

@ midnight lady.. i dont want this model kid to play him... like i said..i dont think it can be done properly... but he is my vision of how lestat looks.when i first saw the pics of this kid...there was no shock... i felt as if i was seeing an old friend

who i hadnt seen in a while.