Thumbnail

sarnic

new Harper's Bazaar story

MY LIFE IN 3 LOOKS: HAILEY CLAUSON

Story by Kerry Pieri
Photographer: Tyler Joe
Hair and makeup by Miguel Lledo
harpersbazaar.com

Hailey Clauson is a true California girl—blonde and blue eyed, tall and sporty. Photographing her in front of a sign that reads "bomb squad" may be a bit tongue-in-cheek, but there's certainly no doubt that Clauson is a bombshell of the '90s amazons variety. This Sports Illustrated: Swim Suit Edition rookie can hit the beach in bikini as effortlessly as she's walked some of the most famous and respected catwalks in the world—which makes sense since she's been in the game since age 14. BAZAAR photographed the New York transplant in her West Village 'hood in her personal pieces to showcase her life in three looks.

What is your workout regimen and how do you plan to approach your gym look?

I do a lot of boxing and also personal training and running on the treadmill. Now that it's nice out, I run on the West Side Highway, but honestly I think when you have cute gym clothes, it inspires you more to go and workout. Being motivated is very important—and part of that is feeling comfortable and confident.

Do you have anything you buy in bulk?

I usually try to stock up on t-shirts—cheap, $4 t-shirts.

Coming from LA, do you think living in New York has affected your style at all?

Oh my gosh, it's changed completely. Before I came here from California I was wearing tie-dye, all hippie style. Now I only wear black most of the time. It's a little more edgier and darker—way different from California.

What is your approach to weekend style?

I go through phases of being girly and tomboyish. If I'm wearing something flowing, I'll add the leather jacket and the sneakers for balance. During the summer, it's jean shorts and converse and tank-tops—just comfy cute.

Who are your style icons?

I'm honestly more inspired by street style than specific people because I think those specific people are inspired by street style, as well. I'm inspired by Tumblr and looking at images of people who just naturally have it. I feel like everyone wants to look cool without trying.

If you could only wear one designer for the rest of your life who would it be?

Alexander Wang because you can get amazing designer pieces and then he has his casual stuff—denim, t-shirts, etc.

You started in the industry as a teenager, what have been some of the most standout moments you've had working as a model?

There's been some incredible ones. I got to work with John Galliano when he was still at Dior—which was really cool. Doing Versace and wearing their big, long gowns. I did a Louis Vuitton show in Paris one year and I came out of a elevator and Kate Moss closed the show with a cigarette in her mouth, just amazing. There's a photo of me that day photobombing Kate Moss, Marc Jacobs, Carmen Kass and I think Anja Rubik and it's me, a 16-year-old girl in the background [laughs].

What's your first fashion memory?

I used to steal all of my mom's magazines and she didn't know. My whole room was covered with magazine covers and inspiration—it was the typical teen room, but with French magazines.

Do you have a trademark accessory?

It would actually be my mini backpack, which I use as my purse. It's a crocodile, vintage-cut little backpack.

What would never wear?

Crocs.

What's your wardrobe MVP?

I have a few. It would probably be that white leather jacket and my Rag & Bone high-waisted jeans as well.

What would you consider your shopping style?

I am very sporadic with my shopping. One day I go in and just buy a bunch of stuff. I probably should be more organized about my shopping because I'm always missing key items, but if I'm in the mood I just kind of have to do it.

What's your dancing uniform?

Well, this is obviously for a sexy night out—a kind of impress my man look [laughs]. I love a simple black dress that you could wear again and again with different accessories.

Describe your style in three words?

Sporty, boyish and sexy.

When it comes to your closet are you an editor or a builder?

Editor, for sure. Right now I have a room closed because it's all clothes I want to get rid of. It drives me crazy when I have old clothes that I won't wear anymore.

As someone who travels a lot, what are your secrets for staying fresh?

Bringing all of your beauty skincare products with you because right when I get off the plane and get to the hotel I put a mask on. You can get eye-pads that you can put in the refrigerator at the hotel—it will help the under-eye bags go away. If I don't have that I'll just put a soda can on my eyes.

You're known for swimsuits and we're going into summer. What's your beach style?

I'm really into bright bathing suits right now—red, turquoise. I think it makes you look more tan and it's fun. You can just throw over jean shorts. I'm a California girl—less is more.

Any fun summer trips planned?

I think I'm going to go home to California and then go to Costa Rica.

Look One: Gym Gear (Hailey is wearing Nike sneakers; Lulu Lemon bra and pants; Public School jacket)
post-84404-0-1445987722-71084_thumb.jpg post-84404-0-1445987722-72925_thumb.jpg

Look Two: Weekend Brunch (Tibi jumpsuit; Forever 21 tank top; Trash and Vaudeville jacket; Nike sneakers)
post-84404-0-1445987722-75298_thumb.jpg post-84404-0-1445987722-77831_thumb.jpg post-84404-0-1445987722-81438_thumb.jpg

Look Three: A Night Out on the Town (Cushnie Et Ochs dress; Giuseppe Zanotti shoes; Celine sunglasses)
post-84404-0-1445987722-8705_thumb.jpg post-84404-0-1445987722-90071_thumb.jpg

And some instagram previews + one extra shot
post-84404-0-1445987722-91115_thumb.jpg post-84404-0-1445987722-94071_thumb.jpg

post-84404-0-1445987722-96012_thumb.jpg post-84404-0-1445987722-97142_thumb.jpg