Bellazon

Kaká
Thumbnail

Vanessinha

UEFA.COM: KAKA' MAN OF THE MATCH

Fans on uefa.com have selected Kakà as the man-of-the-match in Celtic-Milan: 'The Brazilian was without doubt the best player in the first group stage and was the leading light in the Milan attack, with a number of brilliant runs and passes to Alberto Gilardino.'

MILAN - SAMPDORIA

KEEPERS: Dida, Kalac, Storari;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Costacurta, Favalli, Grimi, Jankulovski, Oddo, Simic;

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf;

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi, Ricardo Oliveira, Ronaldo.

Ancelotti sticks up for Kaka

Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti has praised Kaka despite the Brazilian’s costly penalty miss in today’s stalemate with Palermo.

Injury-hit Milan were forced to settle for a point at the Renzo Barbera, but could have recorded a much-needed win in the race for Champions League football had Kaka not seen a debatable early spot-kick smartly saved by Alberto Fontana.

However, the South American star put in a superb performance and received only words of encouragement from his Coach after the 0-0 draw.

“He had a first half like I hadn’t seen at Milan,” Ancelotti said. “He read the game well and created chances for us with his quality.

“Kaka always scores penalties, but today he was unfortunate. We’ll have to see, but I think he’ll continue to take them.”

The spot-kick itself was a debatable decision, as the goalkeeper seemed to make minimal contact with Alberto Gilardino.

“Was it a penalty? It doesn’t matter now, seeing as Fontana saved it,” mused Ancelotti. “I’m happy with the way we played, especially considering how many difficulties we had going into the game.”

The Rossoneri had 10 players out injured or suspended – including eight defenders – so Cristian Brocchi played as a makeshift full-back.

While the result sees Milan lose ground on both Empoli and Lazio, Carletto spoke of his satisfaction at the way his side acquitted themselves.

“I’m not delighted with the result, but it was a good performance especially in the first half when we created the chances to win the game,” he claimed.

“The second period was tougher. We gave the ball away and struggled a lot more.”

Milan’s crucial fortnight continues with the visit of Chievo this weekend, before Celtic arrive at the San Siro for the second leg of their Champions League clash next Wednesday.