Bellazon

Miranda Kerr
Thumbnail

katgirl

As the new face of Louis Vuitton’s Icons collection, Miranda Kerr talks to Vogue about motherhood, why she dislikes the term supermodel, and what she’s looking forward to.

When it comes to airport style, Miranda Kerr is always on our radar. The recently married 34-year-old model is a frequent flier who, despite having made the United States her home, is still completely rooted in her Australian heritage. It seems apt then that the fresh-faced beauty is the face of Louis Vuitton’s Icons collection. For the brand known for its jet-set lineage, Kerr is the perfect choice. She shares with us her secrets to staying balanced, her biggest influences, and how her style has evolved over the years.

Let’s go back to the beginning…
I was blessed with a wonderful childhood where I was encouraged to be free spirited and to believe in myself. I grew up in country NSW, with my parents, brother, grandparents and lots of aunts, uncles and cousins. My grandma Nan Kerr has been a huge influence on me. When I was 14 years old, my friend entered me in a magazine modelling competition. After that I started modelling part-time on weekends or during school holidays, as I didn’t want it to interfere with my education. After I graduated high school, one of my first big modelling contracts was in Japan. I lived in Tokyo for six weeks and celebrated my 18th birthday there. After that I moved back to Australia and studied nutrition while I continued modelling.

Did you ever consider another career path?
With modelling there is a lot of rejection, especially in the beginning. I came to realise that it was important to not take any of this personally. There were many points along the way where I wasn’t sure it was something I wanted to continue with; however, all the travel and opportunity to experience different cultures and getting to meet and work with such interesting and creative people was something I was, and am, very grateful for.

Louis Vuitton is very much intertwined with travel. And as a model, travel is a big part of your job.
Travel is a huge part of my life. I’m often in at least three countries a month and I love it—especially experiencing the different cultures—but I also love being at home. It’s as much of a luxury!

What’s the best part of being a supermodel? What is the best advice you received from those in your industry?
The term ‘supermodel’ sounds very bizarre to me. I see it as a business and just putting in 100 per cent in all I do. Trust your instincts and keep it real.

What has been your most memorable experience?
Shooting the cover story for Vogue Italia. It was such an incredible experience working with Steven Meisel and his team.

Do you have any role models?
There are so many talented women in the business, and there are lots of women in the public eye I admire, but I think the hardest job is being a mother and raising your child. I feel mothers play such an instrumental part in society and in developing our next generation with values, morals and a respectful work ethic. I look up to my mother and grandmother. They’ve both played such a strong role in shaping who I am today.

Speaking of motherhood, what has changed since you became a mother?
Everything… It makes you more compassionate but also stronger. My world revolves around what is best for my son. He is my first priority.

How do you balance your son’s life with the constant travel your work requires?
I have a great team whom I’ve been working with for many years. We work together to simplify everything as much as possible and they respect that I need to put Flynn first. Planning and preparation are key… l used to be able to travel to a job at the drop of a hat but now I make sure everything works around Flynn’s schedule. I am much more selective about what I do now.

What do you do in your spare time?
In no particular order, cooking, arts and crafts, reading, gardening (we grow our own fruit/vegetables and herbs), picnics, hiking, swimming, pool parties, singing… dancing! I also meditate several times a day as I feel it helps me stay focused and energised. I have several meditation apps on my phone—from 10-minute stress-relieving guided meditations to chakra-clearing meditations. I feel I perform better and sleep better when I regularly meditate.

Besides modelling, you also have a very successful beauty brand, Kora Organics. Could you elaborate on your brand and its philosophy?
Having healthy skin has always been important to me. Not only is our skin our largest organ, it also supports the life of all other body parts and plays a role in maintaining the immune system. It works 24/7 to take care of us, protect us and keep us healthy, so it makes sense to look after it with products that replenish it and fill it with the nutrients it needs, not products that are laden with harmful, unnecessary chemicals and toxins.

I identified key ingredients based on their natural healing and protective powers, such as noni extract, green tea and rosehip oil. We have since created 24 certified organic products that assist in the nutrition, hydration and healing of skin. Our products are highly concentrated and active, but also very gentle, delivering the results you desire.

You said once, “The more I grow old, the more I am a perfectionist.”
I’m just all about the detail. If something is worth doing it’s worth doing 100 per cent.

What are you working on currently?
I love expressing my creative side. I just released an extension of my Royal Albert range to include glass and silver giftware. It’s been a natural evolution, but for me it’s all about working with brands I love and respect. I choose to work with brands like Louis Vuitton that I have a natural synergy with.

What makes Nicolas Ghesquière’s work so special for you?
Nicolas is a true artist and such a wonderful person. He’s incredibly talented, authentic and innovative. I love what he’s done with Louis Vuitton; his attention to detail is immaculate and he knows exactly what he wants. I also love the fact that he is a genuinely kind and humble soul.

What is your signature look? How would you describe your style?
I get asked this all the time. My style is constantly evolving. I think style is less about what you wear and more about how you wear it. Fashion is a really great way to express yourself. It’s a creative outlet. I love accessories because you can take any wardrobe piece and individualise it.

Any favourite Louis Vuitton pieces this season?
I really loved all the leather jackets, especially the ones with the braided belt. And the use of metallic details in dresses.

Miranda-Kerr-2.thumb.jpg.5c40cd60de91fdbb7d34ad9a21ae5538.jpg

source: vogue.in