Bellazon

Shanina Shaik
Thumbnail

taniixx

RAFW 2011: Five Minutes backstage with Shanina Shaik at Nookie Beach

Written on May 3, 2011 by ****ika in Events, Fashion

From New York, Italy to Sydney, this international sensation is talk of the town. But when you meet her, she’s completely oblivious of her success.

Melbourne girl, Shanina Shaik, has flown in from New York City for RAFW. This year, she’s walking the catwalk for Kirrily Johnston, Miss Unkon, Lisa Blue, Nookie Beach and an all-swimwear show.

I caught up, exclusively, with the stunning beauty to talk everything about fashion, her New York lifestyle and other international projects on the horizon.

****ika: Tell us about living in New York? How is it?

Shanina: I am really enjoying living there. I have my own apartment and it’s very easy to get around because I’m right in the heart of it all. The atmosphere and the energy is great. My work keeps me really occupied though, so I’m really enjoying this new chapter of my life.

****ika: What do you miss about home here in Australia?

Shanina: There are times, almost every three months, when I get really homesick and I just want to come back home. Australia has that laid-back and relaxing vibe, as New York is so fast paced, so I do need a break from that. And I am such a family-oriented person, that I need my dose of home time every now and then.

****ika: How is the modelling industry different in New York to that in Australia?

Shanina: New York is more serious. All the mainstream designers are there, the core industry is based there, so it’s more serious. You can work on a more large scale basis in New York. But having said that, Sydney is more chilled and not that trend focused. But my views are more from the modelling perspective.

****ika: We heard that you did a catalogue campaign for Intimissimi Lingerie. What was it like working with a big brand like that?

Shanina: The current season has Alysa Miller as the brand ambassador, but I’m on the next one. The Italian have a very sexy, intimate, beautiful art of lingerie making. Some of the stuff that women wear in Italy, I don’t know how men survive there. My boyfriend wouldn’t let me walk out of the house like that. The campaign was shot by photographer, Raphael Mazzucco, who is so great to work with. He knows what he wants and the shots were usually done within minutes. The model and photographer relationship is so important in this industry.

****ika: We also heard that your dream is to walk for Victoria’s Secret, we understand you went for the castings last year. How did that go?

Shanina: I actually missed out on the casting because I was shooting on the day. But I knew a few girls who went for it and didn’t get through. It is such a hard casting. It’s all about luck, right?

****ika: You walked for Nookie Beach, at RAFW. What do you love about the brand?

Shanina: Nikita [Nookie Designer] is such a great designer and I’ve already told her that I’m taking some stuff back with me to New York. The colours are bold and fresh. In summer time, it clashes with a perfectly bronzed body. It makes me want to go to the beach. It’s sophisticated but sexy at the same time, which is my personal style too. So that’s why I think I suit her brand.

****ika: Do you plan on doing New York Fashion Week, this coming September (2011)?

Shanina: Yes! That’s my plan. I’ll be doing the Fashion Week.

Thanks Shanina, we love following your career and look forward to seeing what’s next for you.

They also included a few pictures :)

post-34750-0-1446086435-5642_thumb.jpg post-34750-0-1446086435-58141_thumb.jpg post-34750-0-1446086435-61212_thumb.jpg

Source: sassisamblog.com

• 2 weeks later...