Bellazon

Brandon Flowers
Thumbnail

Crackberry

C, you are AMAZING!! Thanks for the pics! I'm going to have a lot of drooling to do over the Chrsitmas break! lol.

I still think Brandon looked like a completely different person during Hot Fuss days. In fact, he looks like a different person on all 3 albums! lol. I LOVED his moustache, hope he brings it back soon. I just can't resist a man with fashionably trimmed stubble! :p

From: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/3...than-U2%27.html

There are no limits to the ambition of Brandon Flowers and his band, the Killers - yet in person the singer, songwriter and devout Mormon is a fearful man. He talks to Neil McCormick

'Las Vegas was a great preparer," says Brandon Flowers of the town where he formed his band the Killers. "Really, being a Mormon in Las Vegas prepared me for the lion's den. It is sin city. The things that go on, the lights, it's the ultimate rock and roll stage. Without Las Vegas, I would be a wreck."

The Killers are one of the great groups of modern American rock: a tight unit rich with hooks, style, passion, imagination and the commitment to go truly stratospheric. This week they released their third album, Day and Age, and it's another belter, a highly-strung, disco-meets-new-wave synth-pop epic. But, like many great groups, the Killers are constructed out of conflict and tension, built on the fault lines of their singer and lead songwriter, the walking contradiction that is Brandon Flowers.

A devout Mormon from Nephi, Utah, with a fascination for the earthly pleasures of the neighbouring city of Las Vegas, Nevada, Flowers wants his band to be the biggest in the world. He has, he confesses, "a drive bordering on obsession". He talks about bumping U2 off their pedestal. "They're unbelievable but they're getting old. It feels like it's time."

The Killers' Day & Age - review

Neil McCormick on Brandon Flowers' fear of flying

Yet there is a part of him that is like a rabbit caught in the glare of oncoming headlights. In interviews, he is constricted and uptight, as if fighting nervousness and innate shyness. He seems almost fearful of life. "I struggle," he admits. "It's a daily thing for me."

At 27 years old, he is married, with a baby son back in Vegas. "My son is growing up somewhere right now and he doesn't see me. That is wrong. At the same time, I can't wait to come back here and play Wembley Stadium one day."

The choice of venue is instructive. The Killers are not yet a stadium band. But Flowers does not doubt that day is coming. "I saw Paul Weller slagging off Fleetwood Mac, he referred to it as 'stadium rubbish'. Well, I'll take Fleetwood Mac any day. That's just my preference. We wanna see where this will take us. It doesn't make any sense to place restrictions. We write these songs as human beings, and they affect us, and we put them out there in the hope that they will affect other human beings, that they transcend any limitations.

"It doesn't have to be mindless. It's not all gold and glitz. There are universal themes, and if you can connect to them with brains and heart, and do it on a big scale, it can be a really powerful thing, to bring people together, band and audience, and create moments of clarity."

For a man driven by the uniting power of music, Flowers is oddly reluctant to illuminate the content of his songs, which can be poetically opaque, and dense with religious imagery. You won't hear a catchier single this year than the addictive Human, but he refuses to offer a clue to its central metaphor, the curious hookline "Are we human, or are we dancer?"

"For me it makes perfect sense, but everybody's gonna have their own version of what 'dancer' is. There's been occasions when other people's interpretations have been better than mine. I would love to write a song like John Lennon's Imagine, to have something as cut and dried as that, you wouldn't want to change a word, but that's another gift, it is all to be celebrated."

Killers songs tend to be almost overloaded, crammed with twists and turns. Just when you get used to the verse and chorus, they step up a gear and head off into the ether. "Songs keep me up in the middle of the night," he says of writing. "It's exciting. You never know what's going to happen."

Their last album, Sam's Town, was a Sprinsteen-esque epic, evoking Flowers's nostalgic yearning for a purer, mythical America. Day and Age is more colourful, frothy and electronic. Produced by Madonna's English collaborator Stuart Price, its an album whose musical touchstones include Bowie, Roxy Music and the Pet Shop Boys.

Flowers describes it as "looking at Sam's Town from Mars". Yet his romantic take on American dreams remains consistent. "I got an email from an English friend on US election night saying, 'America's awesome again.' It's always been awesome to me. I think it was a little bit narrow-minded to act the way everyone did towards America because of who was in office. It's a big place, and there's a lot of good people there."

One song, Dustland Fairytale, relates the story of how Flowers's parents met as 15-year-olds living on a trailer park. "It explodes at the end into something that's a lot bigger than my mom and dad. It's what they represent, their devotion to each other. They've been together 50 years. It strikes a chord with me, it's something I want to have with my family. It's not very rock and roll."

He is almost apologetic about this, but what could be more rock and roll than a struggle for your immortal soul? "God and the Devil, I got one on each shoulder. Always. It's always there."

What keeps him pursuing something about which he is obviously so conflicted, I wonder? "I've tasted the blood now. We've had amazing gigs, where we can do no wrong. I call it the veil, it's one of the doors to the stage, something happens when you walk through it, I can't explain but it's life changing. And now I just want that every night."

And what is his ultimate ambition? "To write the best song of all time," he replies, with complete sincerity. "It's exciting for me that that's a possibility, and I do believe it's a possibility. I'm a believer."

There are so many songs that I have always thought were my favourite - Read My Mind, When You Were Young, All These Things That I Have Done, Bones etc. Even though these are still some of my all time favourites, A Dustland Fairytale from their new album just gets me everytime. This has to be one of, if not THE, best songs Brandon and the boys have ever written and performed. There are very few songs that just hit me as soon as I hear the intro, but this is one of them, and probably always will be. It's just so powerful, and I absolutely cannot wait to hear them perform this live next year. It's very rare that I am moved by a song, but lyrically and musically, A Dustland Fairytale is amazing.

Spaceman is a great party tune, too!

I swear, someone is going to have confiscate my iPod as I haven't been able to stop listening to Day & Age ever since I got it when it was first released here in England. I've even got the CD in my car!

Anyone else have an opinion on their favourite song on the new album and why? Or their favourite Killers song on any other albums?

Brandon Flowers' attractive angst

Wednesday, 24 December 2008

1230042546150x150.jpg

Brandon Flowers believes he is too attractive to voice his opinions.

The Killers singer says he sometimes feels uncomfortable sharing his thoughts because he thinks people will disapprove of them purely because of his physical appearance.

When asked about the lyrics 'I want the new day and age' in his song 'Neon Tiger', the frontman said: "It means, I want a new day and age - I think that things could be better. I don't feel like I'm allowed to say some of the things that I feel because I'm too handsome."

The 'Human' hitmaker also admitted he is unsure of the direction he wants to take the band in.

He added to Rolling Stone magazine: "Every day, I change. One day I want to be dead serious, and the next I just want to write great pop songs and have fun. I don't have any kind of clear direction. I don't know if I'd want to."

From: http://www.myparkmag.co.uk/articles/entert...ive-angst-.html

"I don't feel like I'm allowed to say some of the things that I feel because I'm too handsome." LOOOOOOOOLLLLL!!! :rofl: (Y)