Shoe 39 EU/8 US/6 UK

Agencies: inmodel, Elite Barcelona

History: 《International Elite Model Look Competition》The Third Runner-up

post-21823-0-1446117047-31098_thumb.jpg

Elite Barcelona

PS: Hime: Finally I start a thread of this model :p Sorry a bit late :p

(And I'm sure you know her :yes: )

Girl next door

If you saw Kiki Kang on the runway you would probably think to yourself: ``Isn't she such a sweet, approachable girl-next-door?'' You would be absolutely right, too.

In person, the 18-year-old from Sichuan province in western China is delightfully chatty and bubbly.

``I was ugly as a kid,'' she told Urban matter-of-factly.

post-21823-0-1446117119-52617_thumb.jpg

Girl next door, Kiki Kang.

``I was too tall and awkward.''

Undaunted, Kang - whose full name is Kang Qian Wen - registered in a modelling school in Dalian when she was 15.

She made the decision to try her hand at modelling because she wanted to help support her parents. She graduated from the programme about a year ago and has been modelling since.

If her candid thoughts on her younger self are to be believed, then she must have blossomed while being put through the rigours of modelling school.

Indeed, designer Karl Lagerfeld picked her to walk for his Fendi fall/winter 2007 runway show held at the Great Wall of China last October.

It was the first time in China's history that a fashion show was held on the Great Wall.

``I kept telling myself to walk carefully. It was so cold and I was wearing a tiny dress and high heels,'' Kang recalled.

She made it to the end of the runway and back safely.

Today, the 1.8m-tall model, who looks like a cross between Shu Qi and Zhang Ziyi, still registers wonder that she has been able to carve out a niche for herself in the industry.

``It was not easy getting jobs initially because my image is neither fashionable nor am I very pretty,'' she said.

She was also China's representative in this year's Elite Model Look competition.

She did not win the contest - the crown went to Jennifer Messelier of France - but with her shining personality and bright smile, she is already a winner in our eyes.

Credit: Clovetwo

post-21823-0-1446117139-52028_thumb.jpg

KIKI KANG

In her one year as a professional model, she has already done shows for Hugo Boss, Bulgari and Fendi.

Ms Kiki Kang, who joined a modelling school when she was just 17, said her parents have been very supportive.

She is 18 now, and with her fair complexion and slender frame, you would never guess that she used be an avid basketball player back in Sichuan.

Her interests? Shopping and photography.

And for her, the best part of modelling is being able to be in close contact with fashion designers.

'Fashion designers are very professional. They personally help us with our clothes and even help us tie our shoe laces just to make sure everything is right,' she said in Mandarin.

Her favourite designers include Karl Lagerfeld and John Galliano.

Credit: AsiaOne Fashion Festival 2008

• 2 weeks later...