Bellazon

Josephine Skriver
Thumbnail

sarnic

Model Josephine Skriver on Her Latest Venture in LGBTQ Advocacy

If you're looking for a new face to inspire you on a Thursday afternoon, look no further than Josephine Skriver. The Danish beauty might be one of the most in-demand catwalkers of the moment, but in addition to her booming career as a face for fashion's top labels (and even Victoria's Secret), she's using her voice in a powerful way—as an advocate for the LGBTQ community. As the daughter of a gay father and lesbian mother, it's a cause that's especially near and dear to Skriver.

"My mom always taught me to be proud of who I was and to be proud of my family, so from a very early age, it always felt like second nature for me to speak up," she says. "From the moment I realized that not everyone thought it was an okay scenario for kids to be in, it kind of became my secret mission to show the world that they weren't right about my family—nor would [my upbringing] affect me in a negative way."

Perhaps her mission was "secret" as an adolescent, but now, Skriver is completely transparent about her advocacy. In fact, she just announced her new partnership with the Family Equality Council's Outspoken Generation program, which encourages children with gay parents to raise positive awareness with their personal stories. Skriver opened up to us about this new collaboration, her own experience, and how the fashion industry has played a role in her decision to speak up.

post-58295-0-1446127536-75726_thumb.jpg post-58295-0-1446127536-76552_thumb.jpg 

Tell me about the Outspoken Generation program and how you plan on working as an advocate.

The Outspoken Generation program wants to empower everyone with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) parents to speak up, both to support and to protect the countless LGBTQ families across the world. I will be sharing my own story locally, nationally, and even internationally with everyone from students to politicians. Right now, I feel that it's time for me and fellow children of LGBTQ parents to no longer remain silent. We really need to show that the love expressed in our own families is no different; that we also want to share the same, unconditional love to everyone else in the world.

We found out about your new gig via an announcement from your agency, The Society Management. Even though this is obviously a very personal cause for you, how do you link it with your career as a model?

I have never been afraid of voicing my opinions on the subject, and I have always been the family's frontrunner when it came to showing how proud I was of everything they represented. I have always jumped at any chance I could to provide for this cause, and [i was always] the one dragging my family to Pride parades. At 15, I even went to visit an international school in Norway to do a speech about how it was growing up in a LGBTQ family.

Being a model and a more public figure has given me a much bigger voice and platform to do this kind of outreach, and it's also a new responsibility. I would feel it to be such a waste if I didn't use the opportunity I have right now. So no, I don't really find it strange that the announcement sprung from my agency, The Society. I am just really grateful to have such an amazing team behind me to help me fight for the things I really care about!

What do you think is the biggest obstacle for the LGBTQ community right now? What steps do we need to take to overcome this?

It might seem like a simple thing or a hard thing to change, but my biggest goal has always been to try to change the assumptions many have about gay couples' ability to be great parents. I wish people would understand that they are just the same as everyone else, they just have a different preference when it comes to love.

Have you found the fashion industry to be supportive of this cause?

The fashion industry has only shown me support when it comes to this cause. It's so open-minded to all kinds of people, and it's a very embracing industry to work with. That is best shown by just how many members from the LGBTQ community actually do work and succeed in this business.

How do you see your advocacy taking shape in the next several years? Do you intend for this to become a full-time effort, or just something to continue to do alongside modeling?

I believe my platform as a model can help a lot more people. By having this career on top of the upcoming advocacy work, I totally see myself becoming a lot more involved in active cases and causes over the next few years. But at the same time, I still hope to keep growing as a model...and hopefully a role model for some, as well.

www.elle.com/news/fashion-style/model-josephine-skriver-outspoken-generation

An amazing girl with amazing beauty, and manifestly amazing parents. :heart:

Model Josephine Skriver on Her Latest Venture in LGBTQ Advocacy

If you're looking for a new face to inspire you on a Thursday afternoon, look no further than Josephine Skriver. The Danish beauty might be one of the most in-demand catwalkers of the moment, but in addition to her booming career as a face for fashion's top labels (and even Victoria's Secret), she's using her voice in a powerful way—as an advocate for the LGBTQ community. As the daughter of a gay father and lesbian mother, it's a cause that's especially near and dear to Skriver.

"My mom always taught me to be proud of who I was and to be proud of my family, so from a very early age, it always felt like second nature for me to speak up," she says. "From the moment I realized that not everyone thought it was an okay scenario for kids to be in, it kind of became my secret mission to show the world that they weren't right about my family—nor would [my upbringing] affect me in a negative way."

Perhaps her mission was "secret" as an adolescent, but now, Skriver is completely transparent about her advocacy. In fact, she just announced her new partnership with the Family Equality Council's Outspoken Generation program, which encourages children with gay parents to raise positive awareness with their personal stories. Skriver opened up to us about this new collaboration, her own experience, and how the fashion industry has played a role in her decision to speak up.

post-83690-0-1446127541-10963_thumb.jpg post-83690-0-1446127541-12439_thumb.jpg

Tell me about the Outspoken Generation program and how you plan on working as an advocate.

The Outspoken Generation program wants to empower everyone with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) parents to speak up, both to support and to protect the countless LGBTQ families across the world. I will be sharing my own story locally, nationally, and even internationally with everyone from students to politicians. Right now, I feel that it's time for me and fellow children of LGBTQ parents to no longer remain silent. We really need to show that the love expressed in our own families is no different; that we also want to share the same, unconditional love to everyone else in the world.

We found out about your new gig via an announcement from your agency, The Society Management. Even though this is obviously a very personal cause for you, how do you link it with your career as a model?

I have never been afraid of voicing my opinions on the subject, and I have always been the family's frontrunner when it came to showing how proud I was of everything they represented. I have always jumped at any chance I could to provide for this cause, and [i was always] the one dragging my family to Pride parades. At 15, I even went to visit an international school in Norway to do a speech about how it was growing up in a LGBTQ family.

Being a model and a more public figure has given me a much bigger voice and platform to do this kind of outreach, and it's also a new responsibility. I would feel it to be such a waste if I didn't use the opportunity I have right now. So no, I don't really find it strange that the announcement sprung from my agency, The Society. I am just really grateful to have such an amazing team behind me to help me fight for the things I really care about!

What do you think is the biggest obstacle for the LGBTQ community right now? What steps do we need to take to overcome this?

It might seem like a simple thing or a hard thing to change, but my biggest goal has always been to try to change the assumptions many have about gay couples' ability to be great parents. I wish people would understand that they are just the same as everyone else, they just have a different preference when it comes to love.

Have you found the fashion industry to be supportive of this cause?

The fashion industry has only shown me support when it comes to this cause. It's so open-minded to all kinds of people, and it's a very embracing industry to work with. That is best shown by just how many members from the LGBTQ community actually do work and succeed in this business.

How do you see your advocacy taking shape in the next several years? Do you intend for this to become a full-time effort, or just something to continue to do alongside modeling?

I believe my platform as a model can help a lot more people. By having this career on top of the upcoming advocacy work, I totally see myself becoming a lot more involved in active cases and causes over the next few years. But at the same time, I still hope to keep growing as a model...and hopefully a role model for some, as well.

www.elle.com/news/fashion-style/model-josephine-skriver-outspoken-generation

An amazing girl with amazing beauty, and manifestly amazing parents. :heart:

Such a beauty, inside and out. Her last statement "I still hope to keep growing as a model...and hopefully a role model for some, as well." I definitely believe she will become a role model to many. 

I love reading her interviews, she's mature for her age and intelligent too! She's the whole package. Brains, beauty, and a great personality. She really deserves to go far!