Bellazon

Camila Alves
Thumbnail

INTERVIEW IN THE MIAMI HERALD

Camila Alves is a little hoarse -- but that's to be expected. She's been up since dawn with 8-month-old son Levi (dad is her boyfriend Matthew McConaughey).

But the Brazilian model, 27, perks up when talking about her other baby -- a line of leather bags for men and women called Muxo (pronounced mucho). Alves will show 'em off at a trunk show Friday at Alene Too in Boca Raton.

Alves may be a new mom, but the $500 and up, handmade bags aren't meant to hold diapers or milk bottles.

''These are like the favorite leather jacket you never let anyone borrow,'' says Alves from the couple's home in Los Angeles. ``They just get softer and gain more character with each wear.''

Alves keeps the business in the family -- mom Fatima helps with the design. Alves doesn't advertise the collection -- she prefers word of mouth ( Hilary Duff and Pink are fans and McConaughey wears the boho-chic messenger bags all over town).

She thinks they're perfect for South Floridians.

''I know when I go to Miami, I always have my bikini, my towel and a change of clothes with me,'' she says. ``The lifestyle there is go to the beach, change and have dinner. With this bag you can do that.''

The new mom hasn't decided whether to bring Levi, but McConaughey's definitely not making the trip.

Too bad, because we know the actor/surfer dude, 39, is a fixture on the beach, as evidenced by myriad shirtless tabloid shots. He's getting ready to promote Ghosts of Girlfriends Past with Jennifer Garner and Michael Douglas, about a hound-dog bachelor haunted by the spirits of his jilted exes.

In real life, McConaughey couldn't be more different.

''He's great -- the best father that can be,'' Alves says. ``It's a blast. Of course it's a lot of work but it's the best kind of work. We're a family.''

Is it hard having paparazzi shoot your every move?

' `Hard' is a funny word. Hard is people having to put food on the table,'' she says seriously. ``Look, they're out there -- that's what they do. If we are in the entertainment business that's what comes with it. They have cameras -- they don't have guns.''