Bellazon

Frida Gustavsson
Thumbnail

For you Eleni :hug: And sorry if something is not grammatically correct, my english isn't all that good..

Interviewer: where do buy your beauty products?
Frida: […] “I have a friend in LA who has a skincare beauty counter, where everything is based on natural oils. I basically use only oils which skin care, coconut oil as a makeup remover and moisturizer, even in the hair sometimes.”

I: What do you do for maintaining the quality of the hair when you work so much? And how it influenced by your psoriasis?
Frida: “I have thick hair, and since I do not do impressions as often anymore, I have double safety much here. In order to soothe my psoriasis usually I rub olive oil into the scalp, disperse with a comb and sleep with it. When I’m not working I let go styling, psoriasis gets worse by the heat. I also have a bit of luck that I have never had to dye my hair. There are other models that change hair color seasonally, but the results of course is that they hardly have any one here. Anja Rubik has only a small thin tassel left.”

I: In addition to LA, where to buy any of your beauty products?
Frida: “French chemist, I mark Caudelie and their facial spray. There, I also buy a shampoo from Phyto for psoriasis, it is the only shampoo that I think works. I also have always with me dry shampoo from Klorane and cleaning from Bioderma. On 6th Avenue in New York, just across from where I lived before, there is a store called Life Thyme, where I always buy vegetable oils and some rose water spray I like very much.”

I: How do you stay in shape?
Frida: “It’s extremely nice to run. Running shoes and the headphones, I can take on wherever I am in the world. After a long flight, it is cathartic and stress-relieving. Psoriasis is also linked pretty much what you eat, and I avoid gluten dairy products and alcohol.”

I: How do you prepare for an important job?
Frida: “I’ve just flown in for a shoot or campaign safety I put a moisturizing mask . SK II mask , I usually sleep with, but it is unfortunately so crazy expensive ! Hope they read this and I will be sponsored (laughs). But if I should go to Victoria’s Secret display, I think more than usual about what I eat and run some more. Thus, I can be so mad at some other models … I and Elsa Hosk (model, editor’s note) sat backstage and were annoyed by the models who sat there and said that they have not practiced anything, though you ‘ve seen them spend six hours on the gym the other day. They train and live on lettuce and they say , ‘I look like this naturally !’ Solid no, you do not, I think it should be clear that we are working as models also have to work hard to get our outer, people can get an oblique image otherwise.”

Frida is now listed on Models.com among “The Money Girls” which means she is one of the absolute best paid models in the world. With money comes responsibility, and Frida is very aware of the business bit of the model profession.

"You start when you are so young and it’s very easy to waste all away. Unable to become super model without using your brain, it requires so much more of you than stand in front of a camera. Many successful models are also successful in second plan, Anja Rubik, who has her magazine (25 Magazine) and Karlie Kloss all his irons in the fire. I am very proactive in managing my finances and I’ve always been. I do not want to be a Maggie Rizer who works in ten years, only to be cheated out of all her money. I was young when I started, and I’m glad I was already facing familiar with the need for much more than to pose in front of a camera."

I: What do you buy with your money?
Frida: “Art and furniture. I just bought a new apartment and I want to invest in. Since I work 275 days a year, except land, I want to come home to something beautiful.”

I: I heard from Columbine that you ordered Prada gown that is in fashion story (see pages 92-93) …
Frida: “Sometime, occasionally, I run away with something like that too. Miuccia is such bloody genius! All the articles that I have purchased from Prada feels like good investments. I was going to order the coat, but it costs like a car.”

I: How do you describe your style today?
Frida: “It has evolved and has now ended up in some kind of mix of masculine and feminine, but it draws always against a 70’s vibe. Avedon 70s, big coats, flared trousers and a kind of “Taxi Driver”-look … I think it is the finest available. I often wear a suit, I like the dressed-up and tailored even if I match it with a worn T-shirt. I also like 70’s makeup. I love the colors they used then, turquoise, light blue, and on the whole very pastels.”

It is noticeable that Frida is passionate for fashion, she analyzes often and willingly.

"Model profession gives you insight into the fashion cycles - how fashion goes through all the steps, how you can be the first to wear something on the catwalk and a few months later it could be something that ‘everyone’ is wearing in the town. I am also happy that I ended up in that particular context, I have been on couture and how they make those amazing clothes. I will never forget the last show John Galliano did for Dior … I wore a spring dress that had taken 700 hours to make: All feathers were hand peeled, dyed and applied in various patterns along a huge trailer. It was absolutely amazing to be a part of it."

I: Who is your role model in the fashion industry?
Frida: “Phyllis Posnick, editor of American Vogue, has served as a mentor. She has done many iconic portraits and famous images including Iring Penn. Her pictures are the best and strongest in the whole magazine, they are not only fashion but also reflect the world right now. She is the ideal of a strong, intellectual woman in the fashion industry. I have learned a lot from her, she has made me understand how a good picture born, as a team working toward the same goal. Model profession is kind of acting, just as an actor you have to think yourself and go into a role.”

Frida is far from a quiet coat hanger, she is constantly engaged, responsive and asking before how stylist Columbine witted and wants her to act.

"I am incredibly interessed in what I do. I think I have the best job and I love doing research for work, I always make sure to be properly briefed. Then, you must also prove that you have a chord with people, Maybelline designed myself as an ambassador and spokeperson, not only as a model, and then it’s very important that I can express myself and that I have a distinct identity, is exciting, interesting and genuine."

Model profession don’t need to involve any early retirement anymore. Frida has reached some level so she can work for long.

"I think I can work for at least ten years, but I ‘ve always had a pretty tough inner mind struggle to really like to create things in place just to convey other people’s creative ideas, I really want to start studying then … I would like to study art or architecture. But right now, I take the opportunity to soak up knowledge from all the interesting people I meet. I’ve been really planning and structured in my life, but now I think it will be nice to drop a bit on it and see where I end up. It’s been really important for me to be in control but I have the brand that just gets crazy by trying, for it is not possible to control all aspects of my job. There are so many more factors, as I decide how much I’ll be working . I even work as a model now, five years later, on virtually the same level as when I started, a lot depends on that I have people who supported me and that is greater than myself in this industry. But it is also because I worked very hard ."

For you Eleni :hug: And sorry if something is not grammatically correct, my english isn't all that good..

Interviewer: where do buy your beauty products?

Frida: […] “I have a friend in LA who has a skincare beauty counter, where everything is based on natural oils. I basically use only oils which skin care, coconut oil as a makeup remover and moisturizer, even in the hair sometimes.”

I: What do you do for maintaining the quality of the hair when you work so much? And how it influenced by your psoriasis?

Frida: “I have thick hair, and since I do not do impressions as often anymore, I have double safety much here. In order to soothe my psoriasis usually I rub olive oil into the scalp, disperse with a comb and sleep with it. When I’m not working I let go styling, psoriasis gets worse by the heat. I also have a bit of luck that I have never had to dye my hair. There are other models that change hair color seasonally, but the results of course is that they hardly have any one here. Anja Rubik has only a small thin tassel left.”

I: In addition to LA, where to buy any of your beauty products?

Frida: “French chemist, I mark Caudelie and their facial spray. There, I also buy a shampoo from Phyto for psoriasis, it is the only shampoo that I think works. I also have always with me dry shampoo from Klorane and cleaning from Bioderma. On 6th Avenue in New York, just across from where I lived before, there is a store called Life Thyme, where I always buy vegetable oils and some rose water spray I like very much.”

I: How do you stay in shape?

Frida: “It’s extremely nice to run. Running shoes and the headphones, I can take on wherever I am in the world. After a long flight, it is cathartic and stress-relieving. Psoriasis is also linked pretty much what you eat, and I avoid gluten dairy products and alcohol.”

I: How do you prepare for an important job?

Frida: “I’ve just flown in for a shoot or campaign safety I put a moisturizing mask . SK II mask , I usually sleep with, but it is unfortunately so crazy expensive ! Hope they read this and I will be sponsored (laughs). But if I should go to Victoria’s Secret display, I think more than usual about what I eat and run some more. Thus, I can be so mad at some other models … I and Elsa Hosk (model, editor’s note) sat backstage and were annoyed by the models who sat there and said that they have not practiced anything, though you ‘ve seen them spend six hours on the gym the other day. They train and live on lettuce and they say , ‘I look like this naturally !’ Solid no, you do not, I think it should be clear that we are working as models also have to work hard to get our outer, people can get an oblique image otherwise.”

Frida is now listed on Models.com among “The Money Girls” which means she is one of the absolute best paid models in the world. With money comes responsibility, and Frida is very aware of the business bit of the model profession.

"You start when you are so young and it’s very easy to waste all away. Unable to become super model without using your brain, it requires so much more of you than stand in front of a camera. Many successful models are also successful in second plan, Anja Rubik, who has her magazine (25 Magazine) and Karlie Kloss all his irons in the fire. I am very proactive in managing my finances and I’ve always been. I do not want to be a Maggie Rizer who works in ten years, only to be cheated out of all her money. I was young when I started, and I’m glad I was already facing familiar with the need for much more than to pose in front of a camera."

I: What do you buy with your money?

Frida: “Art and furniture. I just bought a new apartment and I want to invest in. Since I work 275 days a year, except land, I want to come home to something beautiful.”

I: I heard from Columbine that you ordered Prada gown that is in fashion story (see pages 92-93) …

Frida: “Sometime, occasionally, I run away with something like that too. Miuccia is such bloody genius! All the articles that I have purchased from Prada feels like good investments. I was going to order the coat, but it costs like a car.”

I: How do you describe your style today?

Frida: “It has evolved and has now ended up in some kind of mix of masculine and feminine, but it draws always against a 70’s vibe. Avedon 70s, big coats, flared trousers and a kind of “Taxi Driver”-look … I think it is the finest available. I often wear a suit, I like the dressed-up and tailored even if I match it with a worn T-shirt. I also like 70’s makeup. I love the colors they used then, turquoise, light blue, and on the whole very pastels.”

It is noticeable that Frida is passionate for fashion, she analyzes often and willingly.

"Model profession gives you insight into the fashion cycles - how fashion goes through all the steps, how you can be the first to wear something on the catwalk and a few months later it could be something that ‘everyone’ is wearing in the town. I am also happy that I ended up in that particular context, I have been on couture and how they make those amazing clothes. I will never forget the last show John Galliano did for Dior … I wore a spring dress that had taken 700 hours to make: All feathers were hand peeled, dyed and applied in various patterns along a huge trailer. It was absolutely amazing to be a part of it."

I: Who is your role model in the fashion industry?

Frida: “Phyllis Posnick, editor of American Vogue, has served as a mentor. She has done many iconic portraits and famous images including Iring Penn. Her pictures are the best and strongest in the whole magazine, they are not only fashion but also reflect the world right now. She is the ideal of a strong, intellectual woman in the fashion industry. I have learned a lot from her, she has made me understand how a good picture born, as a team working toward the same goal. Model profession is kind of acting, just as an actor you have to think yourself and go into a role.”

Frida is far from a quiet coat hanger, she is constantly engaged, responsive and asking before how stylist Columbine witted and wants her to act.

"I am incredibly interessed in what I do. I think I have the best job and I love doing research for work, I always make sure to be properly briefed. Then, you must also prove that you have a chord with people, Maybelline designed myself as an ambassador and spokeperson, not only as a model, and then it’s very important that I can express myself and that I have a distinct identity, is exciting, interesting and genuine."

Model profession don’t need to involve any early retirement anymore. Frida has reached some level so she can work for long.

"I think I can work for at least ten years, but I ‘ve always had a pretty tough inner mind struggle to really like to create things in place just to convey other people’s creative ideas, I really want to start studying then … I would like to study art or architecture. But right now, I take the opportunity to soak up knowledge from all the interesting people I meet. I’ve been really planning and structured in my life, but now I think it will be nice to drop a bit on it and see where I end up. It’s been really important for me to be in control but I have the brand that just gets crazy by trying, for it is not possible to control all aspects of my job. There are so many more factors, as I decide how much I’ll be working . I even work as a model now, five years later, on virtually the same level as when I started, a lot depends on that I have people who supported me and that is greater than myself in this industry. But it is also because I worked very hard ."

source: myfridagustavsson.tumblr.com - please quote if you take it.

elinkling instagram: It's such an honor to finally introduce Totême for you. Our new luxury leisure brand with the aim to create perfect vacation pieces, edited for the modern woman. Follow the journey on @totemenyc #toteme #totemenyc More today on @wsjmag and @thelastmagazine

post-49619-0-1446054319-86313_thumb.jpg post-49619-0-1446054319-90498_thumb.jpg

Frida Gustavsson’s Wide-Leg Revival

post-49619-0-1446054325-27103_thumb.jpg post-49619-0-1446054325-63371_thumb.jpg post-49619-0-1446054328-65293_thumb.jpg
post-49619-0-1446054329-49688_thumb.jpg post-49619-0-1446054329-87423_thumb.jpg post-49619-0-1446054330-29177_thumb.jpg post-49619-0-1446054330-84038_thumb.jpg
post-49619-0-1446054331-22557_thumb.jpg post-49619-0-1446054331-31497_thumb.jpg post-49619-0-1446054331-34199_thumb.jpg

Frida Gustavsson does not like the way skinny jeans look on her six-foot-tall frame. And for that reason, the model, who hails from Sweden, can usually be found wearing a 70s-style flare. But about a month ago, she bought a pair of Acne Studios’ wide-wide leg Drift Vintage jeans. To see her in them is like waking up in the mid-90s (actually, our friend Hilary Walsh, who shot Frida for this story, told her she was having flashbacks of 1992). So how does a girl who was only born in 1993 get it so spot on? I mean, there were skater girls back in our high school days (we’ll keep it vague, but it was the 90s) who would have killed to look like this.

We’re going to say that Frida just simply has a great eye for what looks cool. We first met her four years ago while doing a shopping story with the then 17-year-old in New York. Frida’s pick for our first stop: the Jil Sander store on Crosby Street. Jil Sander. Seventeen years old. This look is a little different, but it’s exactly suited for her life in Venice Beach, where she hangs her hat – and her cruise board – these days. She and her boyfriend like to ride on the boardwalk or Abbot Kinney. Skater girls, take not.

Tell us about why you chose these jeans for your story…
I thought it might be cooler to do something unexpected. I’m more 90s than people would imagine, though my heart is very into 70s-style hight-waisted jeans, with a big flare. I’m not a fan of tight pants, and these are still wide, but they hang low. They’re like the cool sister of those other jeans. They remind me of what people were wearing when I grew up: Fila shoes, sports bras…that aesthetic is coming back and it’s so fun. It’s fun to play off these Acnes’ funny, baggy design. I even do a white shirt and a blazer with them. I wear them a lot. They’re so comfortable.

Where did you pick them up?
I got them at the store in Stockholm. I remember when Acne started. I love Swedish jeans. I only wear Acne and Blk Dnm – which isn’t technically Swedish, but the designer Johan Lindeberg is – or vintage. I’ve found a lot of great vintage jeans in San Francisco. I look for a certain look rather than a specific brand. Once I found a huge container of unworn Wranglers from the 70s.

My dad worked between Stockholm and London when I was growing up. He has the best taste. He even used to make his own jeans in the 70s and 80s. But he would bring me jeans back from London. Once, he gave me the most perfect pair of vintage Wranglers. I saved a lot of them for when I have my own kid.

What’s the prettiest place these jeans have been?
We went hiking in Joshua Tree last weekend, and it got so cold at night in the desert so I wore them at night with a huge blanket.

What’s the strangest place they’ve been?
It was crazy, I had an emergency landing on my way home – these jeans are so comfortable you can sleep in them on the plane – and I had to spend the night in Boston. Then I had another the week later. This was the sixth emergency landing in seven years. I just want to stay in L.A.!

Who was the last person to see you take them off?
My boyfriend, unless I have a creepy neighbor watching me [laughs].

If these jeans could talk, what would they say about you?
Hopefully, good things. I think I treat them quite well. I take them skateboarding, hiking…

Oh, you skate?
I do. Along the boardwalk in Venice or to get coffee. I love Intelligentsia, Cafe Gratitude. I mostly use a cruiseboard.

What would happen if you lost these?
I’d get really sad. The more you live in jeans, they become a part of you. It’s almost like if you lost a ring or another special piece of jewelry – jeans are so personal.

Do you get a lot of compliments when you wear them?
People seem to get good memories when they see them. They put a smile on people’s faces.

What’s the chicest pair of jeans you ever wore?
Probably a pair of really cute baggy, straight-leg Louis Vuittons with their logo on the inside – for work.

What’s the silliest pair you’ve worn?
Oh, so many. In high school I wore them really low and boot cut. It was so horrible, but I loved it. It was around the time Britney [spears] and Justin [Timberlake] wore those denim outfits.

Who has the best denim style?
You can’t not love James Dean and that whole jeans-and-a-white-t-shirt look. But my favorite is Morrissey – black jeans, leather jacket and a tee with the sleeves rolled up.

Ooh, good one. No one’s ever said Morrissey before.
Really? Nice.

jeanstories.com