Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Tomorrow I'll finally watch OPPENHEIMER. I'm a bit curious I have to admit 😄

Oscars — Best Actor Has Four Locks: Murphy, Cooper, DiCaprio and Giamatti

262E600A-7345-43D2-9F55-19256BC31977.jpe

I’ve seen most of the major acting performances in contention for the Best Actor Oscar —save for “Maestro,” which I’ll be watching next Tuesday.

It does look as though I’ll be pulling for either Cillian Murphy or Leonardo DiCaprio to win the Oscar. Jeffrey Wright (“American Fiction”) and Paul Giamatti (“The Holdovers”) also deserve to be up there.

I have 11 Best Actor contenders on my predictions list. I can’t see anyone else being added. They are as follows:

Cillian Murphy — “Oppenheimer”
Bradley Cooper — “Maestro”
Leonardo DiCaprio — “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Paul Giamatti — “The Holdovers”
Colman Domingo — “Rustin”
Jeffrey Wright — “American Fiction”
Jamie Foxx — “The Burial”
Barry Keoghan — “Saltburn”
Joaquin Phoenix — “Napoleon”
Andrew Scott — “All of Us Strangers”
Zac Efron — “The Iron Claw”

If there’s a dark horse that isn’t part of this final 11, and that could sneak up into contention in the coming weeks, it’s Teo Yoo (“Past Lives”) who I thought gave the best performance in Celine Song’s highly praised film.

It’ll be hard to beat Cillian Murphy. It’s such a tour-de-force performance and he’s practically in every scene of the 3-hour “Oppenheimer.” His Robert J. Oppenheimer also turned into an unlikely meme generator this past summer with the ‘Barbenheimer’ phenomenon. I don’t know many people who didn’t like his performance.

DiCaprio’s work in ‘Killers’ isn’t being talked about enough because, well, he doesn’t have much of a narrative. He already has an Oscar. If quality is actually a factor in winning awards, then DiCaprio’s rich work in ‘Killers’ would have a major shot at Oscar gold. It’s one of his best performances.

As I mentioned, I haven’t seen Bradley Cooper in “Maestro,” but those that have believe he has a clear shot at winning for his “transformative” performance as Leonard Bernstein. The film hasn’t been getting all-out raves from critics. It has a 76 on Metacritic and sits at 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. Good, but not great. However, there are those that completely abide by “Maestro”, passionate supporters, which gets me very excited to finally catch it next week.

Paul Giamatti is wonderful as the curmudgeon professor in “The Holdovers.” He wasn’t even nominated, and should have won, for 2004’s “Sideways.” I can’t see him getting snubbed again for this performance. He will also likely not win, but crazier upsets have occured in the past.

I believe we have four locks in this category — Murphy, Cooper, DiCaprio and Giamatti. The #5 slot could be a fight between Domingo and Wright. However, watch out for Zac Efron (“The Iron Claw”) as his film as barely been seen and I’m hearing good things about his performance.

Hi all 🤗

I have some questions about KOTFM cuz there are somethings that still get me confused every time I watch the film

1) Why did Minnie get sick? Did it happen naturally? Or was it Bill Smith? Or was it Hale? And was Bill a good guy? It doesn’t seem that he was a good guy since Mollie mention that he isn’t very nice to Rita when Mollie isn’t around? And did he marry Rita to get her killed and get her money? 

2) The scene where Ernest invites the doctors and Mollie rejects to see them, here they were really gonna give her the insulin, and she got several injections from what I understood so why didn’t she get better cuz that was before they started mixing the insulin with the poison? And when Ernest was fighting with her to get the shot did he really want her to get better (cuz in that scene I really was thinking she needs those shots)

13 hours ago, LuckyGirl said:

2) The scene where Ernest invites the doctors and Mollie rejects to see them, here they were really gonna give her the insulin, and she got several injections from what I understood so why didn’t she get better cuz that was before they started mixing the insulin with the poison? And when Ernest was fighting with her to get the shot did he really want her to get better (cuz in that scene I really was thinking she needs those shots)

Personally from someone who worked in a medical area I think like they mentioned insulin was highly new on the market back then (and highly expensive so no one could afford it) what mean no one really had experience (no doctors, no patients). When you suffer under diabetes it's not just "here you have some insulin, inject it and then you get immediately better". First of all there are different types of diabetes and different types of insulin. Then every patient need different dosis to different times. It's even important in which part of your body you inject it. Of course your personal every day life standard is a factor too. What you eat and drink (especially how much sugar and from what they said in the movie even if it sounded racist when they lectured Mollie "you have to stop to eat like a white chick" their point was true from a medical view), how much you exercise, how much you weight, your body index etc etc So it's very realistic you have to try for a while before a patient is starting to get better. Even today.

To your other question: I think they were all killed by her white money hungry husbands. One of the only few decent dudes was the one whose house they blew up (he was white right?). If I remember correctly it was the same one which didn't let Ernest and his uncle in his house during one funeral what was kinda hilarious when Ernest was banned on the veranda and he was like wtf dude? lol

1 hour ago, Jade Bahr said:

Personally from someone who worked in a medical area I think like they mentioned insulin was highly new on the market back then (and highly expensive so no one could afford it) what mean no one really had experience (no doctors, no patients). When you suffer under diabetes it's not just "here you have some insulin, inject it and then you get immediately better". First of all there are different types of diabetes and different types of insulin. Then every patient need different dosis to different times. It's even important in which part of your body you inject it. Of course your personal every day life standard is a factor too. What you eat and drink (especially how much sugar and from what they said in the movie even if it sounded racist when they lectured Mollie "you have to stop to eat like a white chick" their point was true from a medical view), how much you exercise, how much you weight, your body index etc etc So it's very realistic you have to try for a while before a patient is starting to get better. Even today.

To your other question: I think they were all killed by her white money hungry husbands. One of the only few decent dudes was the one whose house they blew up (he was white right?). If I remember correctly it was the same one which didn't let Ernest and his uncle in his house during one funeral what was kinda hilarious when Ernest was banned on the veranda and he was like wtf dude? lol

Thank you so much for your reply🙏 

So Ernest was honest about the insulin in that scene? He wasn’t intending on hurting her? 

and yeah the white guy you mean is Bill Smith he was married to Minnie then Reta, so wasn’t behind the death of Minnie?

A bit more infos about Bill Smith:

https://www.shortform.com/blog/bill-smith-osage/

It doesn't sound to me like he was part of the plot (not saying he didn't marry for money but probably didn't kill for it?). Actually he found the death of his wife suspicious (and all the ones who followed) and started his own investigation. When he came to close to the truth he and his 2nd wife were killed.

@LuckyGirl you have to understand how diabetes and insulin work (and also the poison of course) when you want to kill a patient (slowly). Honestly I don't think Ernest was smart enough for such a plan or just the idea of it. So when he first injected Mollie the insulin I think he wanted her to do better - at least in the movie. 

Screenshot2023-11-26at14-11-32StoriesInstagram.thumb.png.deba7c537901fc9e46ed83f7c4db99d1.png

‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ Available on VOD January 25, 2024

A VOD release date has been set for Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon.” The film will be made available digitally on January 25, 2024. That’s just two days after the Oscar nominations get announced — Paramount/Apple clearly trying to bank on the hype. It’s also almost four months after its October 20th theatrical release.

14 hours ago, akatosh said:

Very true:

Even the girls of Lainey seeing it LOL

Another big winner is Lily Gladstone, who won Outstanding Lead Performance for The Unknown Country.  Leonardo DiCaprio wasn’t nominated, but as he has done all year, he showed up for Lily, and this is EASILY the most I have liked Leo outside of his performances. It’s almost endearing how willing he is to be there for Lily’s sake, if not his own.

Source

Although I wonder if they realize they are as dickish as Cal putting Jack/Leo down with the "almost" line.

tumblr_pxl0y1UHrV1r3i2gwo3_540.gifv

tumblr_pxl0y1UHrV1r3i2gwo4_540.gifv

tumblr_pxl0y1UHrV1r3i2gwo5_540.gifv