Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

Philip Booth ‏@PhilipsFlicks 1h

"The Great Gatsby" (2) Luhrmann captures the over-the-top craziness of Gatsby's world, and desperation/alienation of main characters #gatsb

Philip Booth Philip Booth ‏@PhilipsFlicks 1h

"The Great Gatsby": Gorgeously photographed 3D visual spectacle; fresh retelling of Fitzgerald, with some emotional resonance, too #Gatsby

Facebook entry from the author of the new bestseller Zelda that focuses on the life of Fitzgerald's wife

was in Manhattan on May 2nd for an advance screening of THE GREAT GATSBY, and then also attended a luncheon where the cast and Baz Luhrmann spoke about the experience of making the film. It was fascinating to get the "story behind the story."

The film is far less of a spectacle and far more affecting than the trailers suggest. It has all the elements of a Baz Luhrmann production in its stylistic representation of story, of course--but feels deeper, thematically, than, say, Moulin Rouge. He succeeds very well in interpreting and representing not only The Great Gatsby novel but, in subtle ways, also F. Scott Fitzgerald himself. The story and its themes become perhaps better developed here than they are in the novel--which is a testament to how thoroughly Baz and Catherine Martin and the cast prepared for and created the film.

It seems to me that the film succeeds as entertainment for the masses, and also satisfies people who, like myself, have a more intimate connection to the original work. As Baz himself said, there will be purists who will roll their eyes at some of his choices, or who will take him to task for altering certain aspects of the novel. He has done what an artist should do, though, when paying homage to something or someone: educated himself and then created both a faithful and an original interpretation of the source material.

I think the film is great entertainment, but it's also thoughtful and moving and evocative--and the acting is superb. The scene where Daisy and Gatsby first reconnect, for example, is so powerfully emotional that it brought tears to my eyes.

But don't take my word for it. See the movie and judge for yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/therese-anne-fowler-author/thoughts-on-baz-luhrmanns-the-great-gatsby/442249629195551

Thanks for all the interviews and reviews! I can't wait until Friday!! I bought the soundtrack today and it is awesome. Make sure you guys get the deluxe edition. It has sound clips from the movie! Baz was on GMA this morning and Leo will be on tomorrow! :woot:

Princess

Could be that my friend just misheard what the woman said on show the other day .

Sic

Tks for wonderful Italian Vanity Fair cover ; I wish we would have had pix like that in the US Vanity Fair version :)

Makeitcount

Another wonderful cover and Gatsby spread !

Tks so much for translating article for us :flower:

Mz_Linz

Re soundtrack, I didn't even realize there were different types , tks for information :)

Another advance screening reaction

I'm glad she mentioned Craig Armstrong's score for the film, as I saw someone else mention they were surprised that trailers/articles made it appear the entire score for done soley by JayZ

got invited to a private screening of the film and being a fan of Baz Luhrmann and “Moulin Rouge”, I had very high expectations, and he surpassed them all. I watched “Moulin Rouge” for about 10000 times and there were many similarities to the transition shots, the way he pans the camera, the narrative of the main character, and ultimately the tragedy of fools in love.

The score by Craig Armstrong is also reminiscent of his score for “Moulin Rouge”. I wish they would release his solo score independent from the soundtrack that he collaborated with Jay-Z on. Leo DiCaprio embodies the essence of Gatsby. I think my heart stopped a beat when he was introduced for the first time on screen– Remember the moment when Nicole Kidman was introduced in “Moulin Rouge” on the trapeze? Leo’s entrance’s got the same grand effect.

Carey Mulligan was decent as Daisy, but for some reason, I thought Amanda Seyfried would’ve been better and would’ve “looked” better for the part and the era. Tobey Maguire was a pleasant surprise to me. I’ve never been a fan of his, especially after Spider-Man 3. However, his vacant stares and clear eyes provided some of the best moments of the film. He also has a great distinct voice for the character.

Baz’s production is always “more is better” and I am actually fine with that mantra. Every frame of the movie can be taken as a screenshot and blown up to be be framed. It is meticulously designed by Baz’s wife, Catherine Martin, who also designed for all his previous films.

I think “The Great Gatsby” can be considered part of Baz’s Red Curtain Trilogy. It has the essence of those three films he had done. This is more “Baz” than “Australia”. I think he tried to do something out there for “Australia” and it was probably too big. I did like the film though.

Go see it in 3D. You won’t have things flying in your face, but it creates incredible depth for the sets.

Just going to post a small excerpt from this interesting 3 page article about someone who attended all the various Gatsby events held this past week in New York

Gatsby Takes Manhattan: Leo, Jay-Z and Baz Turn NYC into a Two-Week Pop-Up

gatsby-moon.jpg

What more could I ask of this director, after all of these events at posh places in New York City devoted to his movie, all of them masterminded on some level by Mr. Luhrmann himself, the ringleader, the puppeteer—the boy from Australia who changed his name and became famous?

It’s like you’re Gatsby yourself, I said.

“I’m not Jay Gatsby,” he said. Then he pointed to a man a booth over, a man at the center of this golden top-floor canopy above New York City, sitting with Dasha Zhukova—the partner of Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich—the actress Kristen Wiig and No Doubt singer Gwen Stefani. He was pointing at Leonardo DiCaprio.

“I’m not Jay Gatsby,” Mr. Luhrmann said. “He is.”

http://observer.com/2013/05/gatsby-takes-manhattan-leo-jay-z-and-baz-turn-nyc-into-a-two-week-pop-up/3/