Bellazon

Leonardo DiCaprio - (Please Read First Post Prior to Posting)
Thumbnail

moiselles

AGREED FASH!! :D

And thought I'd let you all know, I was flipping through my new Instyle, and there was the GG instyle after party section. It had a nice pic of Leo posing with Orlando Bloom, and leos quote underneath was "I got the bowtie on" :p

And thought I'd let you all know, I was flipping through my new Instyle, and there was the GG instyle after party section. It had a nice pic of Leo posing with Orlando Bloom, and leos quote underneath was "I got the bowtie on" :p

wow, I wish I could see that pix - I love Orly and Leo, so glad they are friends! They have a lot in common :laugh:

wow, I wish I could see that pix - I love Orly and Leo, so glad they are friends! They have a lot in common :laugh:

Yes they do have some things in common :whistle:

I will try my best to either scan or take a pic of it :)

Like the writer's comments about what Leo brings to a film, as well as, his final comments about Leo/Meryl/Oscar

Few actors have the ability to make movies they're in seem better than they are and Leonardo DiCaprio is one of them. There are exceptions to the rule The Beach, for example but usually, he complements a film's quality or compensates for its weaknesses.

J Edgar is one of the latter. Without DiCaprio's performance, it's likely only director Clint Eastwood would prompt any initial interest in this biopic of one of the most powerful 20th-century people in United States history: J Edgar Hoover, first director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, aka the FBI.

He's portrayed as a conflicted man in both his public and private lives.

Hoover pioneered the use of fingerprinting and forensic analysis in his crusade to keep America safe, but also knew that information was power – and collected scandalous secrets on people in power and kept them in private files in order to keep himself in power, through blackmail, to get what he wanted.

Hoover was also known for his support of counterintelligence and use of illegal wiretaps; his paranoia led him to try to discredit individuals he feared, such as Martin Luther King, and his conservatism even dictated how his agents appeared and behaved.

For much of his career he was involved in a personal relationship that appeared to be homosexual, although there is no clear evidence of it being so, and he supposedly had an affair with actress Dorothy Lamour. There were also rumours of cross-dressing in private.

Eastwood and screenwriter Dustin Lance Black (Milk) allude to all of the above and more as they chronicle Hoover's career from 1919 until his death, aged 77, in 1972.

In particular, the film sketches Hoover's anti-communist crusade after the anarchist bombings in 1919, with Eastwood obviously drawing parallels between how Americans feared for their safety and survival then and how they have in the past decade with terrorism.

The film depicts the FBI contending with bank robbers and gangsters in the 1930s, including how Hoover popularised the FBI enough to make Hollywood switch from glorifying outlaws to G-men, as its agents were called, as seen in James Cagney movies.

The Lindbergh baby kidnapping case was also a key to proving the FBI's effectiveness and enhancing its future existence.

Trickily, the story uses the convention of the unreliable narrator, with Hoover describing his life and work and the FBI's rise in memoirs he dictates in the 1960s, thus making them not only subjective but open to exaggeration and lies.

Ad Feedback As well, it results in a skimming narrative fractured with flashbacks, the sprawling story becoming a hopscotching hodgepodge as it jumps back and forth in time.

This time-shifting episodic approach never creates momentum or dramatic development. Instead, the 137-minute movie gradually slips into tedium.

What we're left with is Eastwood's craftsmanship, the film's period feel, and solid performances in a stolid story.

Admirable are Judi Dench as Hoover's beloved and homophobic mother, Naomi Watts as his career-long personal secretary Helen Gandy, and Armie Hammer, who played the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network, as Clyde Tolson, a gay man who was Hoover's lifelong constant companion, whom Hoover made his right-hand man at the FBI and who was Hoover's alter ego.

Indeed, the portrayal of Hoover and Tolson's relationship is poignant and the most successful piece in the film's jigsaw puzzle. Unfortunately, the latex mask used to age Hammer, as Tolson, looks blatantly fake, unlike the convincing way DiCaprio is made up to look old.

Appearing young or old, however, DiCaprio gives another impressive performance reminiscent of his Howard Hughes in The Aviator as a complicated individual with obsessions, contradictions, vulnerabilities and a twisted sense of righteousness.

Hoover was a man who wanted to be seen as an American hero, not a villain, and became both. He is perhaps an example of how an overpowering desire to do good can find justification to do evil.

It's puzzling that DiCaprio, honoured with Screen Actors' Guild and Golden Globe nominations for his performance, has been overlooked by the Oscars, especially when Meryl Streep was rightfully nominated for The Iron Lady, a similarly styled movie which also struggled to succeed for much the same reasons.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/enterta...-for-weaknesses

Kat

I look forward to seeing the InStyle picture :)

It is so cool that he mentions his bowtie as Shine and Fash kept joking about would he wear one before the GG.

Wijn

Thanks for articles :)

ByPrincess

Sent you a pm :)

Fash

Sent you a pm :)

"I got the bowtie on" :p

What in the freaking hell??? :o Ok i'm convinced he said that to specifically piss me off :rofl: Though thankfully, as of now, i'm a proud supporter of the bow-tie thanks to Miss Shine over there. So Leo won't have to feel my wrath :whistle:

Thanks Kat for posting that :)

Thanks Ox for article.. nice read! :wave:

Great pix of Leo

post-52324-0-1446082309-77657_thumb.jpg

Pami

When I saw this I thought of you and Amsterdam :)

I loved this scene between Leo and Cammie

post-52324-0-1446082309-80303_thumb.png

Sic

Thanks for GQ cover :)

Fash

Thanks for letting us know Lukas is in Sydney :)

I wonder if he flew over by himself :p

Barbie

I love your new Leo avi as well; but has your picture moved ?

As I thought I could see more of Leo's lips before .

Fash

Thanks for letting us know Lukas is in Sydney :)

I wonder if he flew over by himself :p

Now if only the paps could get a nice group shot of leo and all his Sydney company, so we can know for sure :laugh:

Actually I don't really care about the others lol ALL I WANT IS LEO BABY :) :p

Princess That's an interesting way of looking at it :) I was dissapointed to see Lukas there (weird I know) but now moreso after taking your comments, of it meaning filming will take longer, into consideration.

ByPrincess

Lukas flew over so Erin wouldn't have to make the flight by herself that way she and Leo will be together for sure for Valentine if the filming goes to next week :p

Erin's in New York at the AmFar event...maybe they'll be meeting up in Los Angeles soon, she was tweeting to Nikki she'd be in LA soon....Paps, get to work!!!