Bellazon

Nico Rosberg
Thumbnail

cora

video : march 2008

About This Video : It's not easy being a racing driver. Outside of the cockpit, they're dragged from pillar to post fulfilling sponsor and media commitments, that is when they aren't testing. Every so often, however, a sponsor will come up with a fun day out, like RBS did for Nico just before the Australian Grand Prix. Having arrived in Australia a few days ahead of schedule in order to get used to the time difference, Nico headed up to Sydney to join the Royal Bank of Scotland for a promotional day with a difference. Swapping his F1 car for a surfboard and his race overalls for a wet suit, Nico hit the beach. With pro-surfer Nathan Hedge on hand to give him some top tips, Nico tackled the waves. Watch the video to see how he got on...

surf to Bondi Beach

(source : AT&T Williams F1 Team)

Nico's Monaco GP Column (28/05/08 - AT&T Williams F1 Team)

First of all, let me say that I’m fine! My crash at the Swimming Pool chicane on lap 60 of the Monaco Grand Prix was a big one, but there’s no damage – not to me, anyway. After consulting the doctors on site I decided, as precaution, to go to the Princess Grace Hospital in Monaco. All the routine checks in the hospital showed that everything was perfectly fine, so I was released to go home rather quickly. After a couple days rest, I am currently preparing and training as normal for the Canadian Grand Prix.

The cause of the accident was straightforward. I was pushing really hard on dry tyres and coming into the swimming pool corner after Tabac when the rear of the car flicked out suddenly on entry, most probably on a patch of water under braking. After that I was a passenger and hit the barrier on the right before being thrown across the track into the barrier on the left.

What made the shunt so disappointing was the fact that the FW30 had been really competitive during practice and qualifying. I was second fastest during Thursday’s second practice session and managed to carry that pace into qualifying. I was second quickest in Q2, just 0.1s slower than Felipe Massa’s fastest time, and I was equally pleased with my lap in Q3 – given my heavy fuel load – to qualify sixth.

In the Monaco Grand Prix it is all about having a clean race, which it really wasn’t for me this year. I clipped the back of Fernando Alonso’s car at the hairpin on the opening lap, which broke my front wing and made my car very difficult to drive. Initially, I tried to continue until my first scheduled pit-stop, but the car was un-driveable and I was forced to pit for a new nose on lap three.

On lap 14, again at the hairpin, somebody drove over my front wing which meant that I had to pit once more for a new wing. Then later in the race the team called me in for a routine pit-stop, but they had problems with Kazuki’s left rear wheel and I was told to drive through. After a total of four visits to the pits,I was on the back foot but managed to climb back up to 10th place by the time of my accident.

It was great for the team that Kazuki managed to score two points for the Constructors’ World Championship. He drove a great race to stay out of trouble in what were very difficult conditions at the start of the race and has managed to keep us in fourth position in the Championship.

Now, though, I have to focus on the next race. I will fly to Montreal next Sunday to get used to the time difference and to see the city which I find very cool. I’m looking forward to getting back into the car in Montreal, because the speed in Monaco was very promising.

Although the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a completely different sort of track to Monaco, it should suit our car well. However, its long straights and fast chicanes provide us with a very different challenge. I’m really looking forward to the Canadian Grand Prix and let’s hope we can get a good result there.

Until then,

Nico

Nico Rosberg on the spot (28/05/08) :

ITV Sport pit lane reporter Louise Goodman resumes her quest to find out what makes the star names in Formula 1 tick.

Her latest interviewee is one of Formula 1's coolest customers, Williams star Nico Rosberg.

Louise Goodman: Frank Williams celebrated his 600th grand prix in Monaco. He’s one of the legends of F1, but what is he like as a boss?

Nico Rosberg: I get on very well with him – he’s always been very supportive of me and it’s always interesting to pick up a few bits and pieces from the way he is and the way he goes about things. What’s really nice to see is the passion he still has for the sport.

Louise: How bright do you think the future is for privateers like Frank in the current F1 climate?

NR: I think that’s not a problem for us – the team is really healthy financially and as long as we do a good job here at the races and back at the factory then I think the possibilities are all there for us.

Louise: You were on the podium for the first time in Australia; what are your chances of another one before the end of the season?

NR: Monaco was probably one of my best chances but unfortunately that didn’t work out. For sure we would need some luck because we just can’t beat Ferrari and McLaren without that at the moment.

And now for the trivia…

Other than driver, which job in the paddock would you be best at?

I think maybe something in the engineering department – aerodynamicist perhaps. I don’t know how good I’d be at it, but it would be something that would definitely interest me.

I’d also like to be the CEO of a team – that would be pretty cool too. Working together with a lot of people and guiding them – in the end the job of the CEO is to keep everybody together and point them in the right direction. Again, I don’t know if I’d be any good at it, but it’s something that I’d find very interesting.

Schumacher or Hill?

Schumacher. Not that I have anything against Damon Hill, but I played soccer with Schumacher the other day, so Schumacher!

Which Olympic sport would you most like to win a gold medal for?

100 metres running.

Which do you prefer – Melbourne, Monaco or Monza?

Monza because I like the track – the speed and the chicanes are cool. Monaco is fun too but I’ll pick Monza.

What was the last thing that made you laugh?

Friday night in Monaco at the Amber Fashion Show – all of us drivers getting changed backstage ready to go on the catwalk…and all of us drivers, and the girls, peeking round the corner of the backstage areas at each other.

City break, beach resort or mountain hideaway?

Beach resort. I love the sea and the sun and the warmth…and Frank doesn’t allow me to ski!

What’s your karaoke staple?

Karma Chameleon by Culture Club.

When was the last time you swore and who was it at?

At the soccer match the other night. There was one photographer who was doing completely ridiculous things; he was running onto the pitch whilst everybody else was behind barriers.

His boss spoke to him as if he was a dog – which I didn’t think was right so I swore at the boss. Only in my head though – I don’t swear out loud very often.

If you had a million pounds to spare, who would you give it to?

I think I’d give it to some young people to give them the chance to pursue a sport. I’d put it into a fund which would allow maybe two or three young guys to pursue something they loved but couldn’t afford to do by themselves.

When was the last time you cried?

Not long ago actually – it was a couple of days ago. Our dog passed away. The circumstances were a bit unusual too, but I don’t really want to go into it. It was very sad though.

Which race would you most like to see dropped from the calendar?

Well, I’d like to say Fuji but I can’t really because that’s a Toyota track! I just don’t like the circuit though.

This is the link of a article : Nico Rosberg on the spot

Thank you so much Cora for posting these pictures. They are really high-resolution so we can see cutie Nico even better!

//oggles at the pictures//

You know he speaks French, right? He is utterly adorable when he does speak French :D

I saw a video of him speaking in French on youtube.com but the video is now deleted.

If you ever see another video of him speaking in French, would you please post the link? :D

With the French Grand Prix looming in the horizon, I have high hopes that he will give some interviews in French!

Bisous for sharing your pics!

Hey everybody,

It's soon Nico's birthday (27th, June) ! The girls of Nico Rosberg unofficial fanclub (Wendy's website) had a great idea. They give you a chance to give your birthday wishes to Nico. One of their dear members, Aizawa, is going to the gp of Magny Cours and wants to hand all your birthday wishes to Nico. Wendy (creator's site) is also going to the gp of Hockenheim in July and hopefully Nico will be there at the autograph session. So if you have something to say to him, some special birthday wishes or something else.... If you want you can write your messages here and I'll send them to Wendy. But it's necessary before Tuesday, please !...

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...