Bellazon

Alexandre Pato
Thumbnail

alexpato&marquez

AC Milan 0:2 (0:2 on aggregate) Arsenal - match report

Scorers: Fabregas 84 (A), Adebayor 92 (A)

Cesc Fabregas performed a goalline clearance and scored Arsenal's late winner, as Milan's defence of the Champions League is ended.

With the first leg ending goalless, the Rossoneri needed a victory to qualify and threw on a trident attack with Kaka and Alexandre Pato supporting Champions League Final hero Pippo Inzaghi. Clarence Seedorf was not even fit for the bench, joining Marek Jankulovski, Serginho, Nelson Dida and Ronaldo on the sidelines. Arsenal made the trip without Eduardo, Tomas Rosicky and Kolo Toure', but Manuel Almunia returned between the posts.

Alexander Hleb blasted well over from distance, but the first real chance on seven minutes saw Pato dribbled past four Arsenal defenders and his left-foot strike was deflected out for a corner off Sagna.

From the resulting spot-kick the ball squirmed all the way through and Cesc Fabregas required a goalline clearance at the near post. The move continued and a cross was pushed off the head of Kakha Kaladze from seven yards.

Almunia rushed out to clear from Pato outside the box and on the counter Abou Diaby curled past the far post. It was mostly Milan in the opening stages and Inzaghi couldn't get enough power on his volley to truly trouble Almunia.

The Rossoneri had a fantastic chance on 19 minutes with Kaka sprinting away from Fabregas and crossing for the unmarked Pato at the back post, but the youngster hesitated and chipped a weak effort straight at Almunia.

Moments later Inzaghi was sent clear on goal by a Philippe Senderos header, but Gael Clichy dived in with a crucial clearance. From the corner Inzaghi's free header was off target.

Oddo held up the ball for Kaka to cut in from the right channel and hit a low snapshot inches past the base of the near post. Alessandro Nesta was struggling with a right thigh injury and passed straight to Emmanuel Adebayor, his strike fingertipped over the bar by Zeljko Kalac.

Hleb was harshly booked for simulation as he fell under a Nesta challenge just outside the box. Arsenal started to come out of their shell and Fabregas cracked a right-foot shot from the D against the bar with Kalac beaten.

Adebayor lost his footing in the box and allowed Gennaro Gattuso to clear, then the Arsenal striker scuffed from another good position. Kaka was clearly not 100 per cent fit yet after his injury worries and opted to pass to Pato rather than aim one of his trademark runs straight at the defence in acres of space.

Milan started the second half in similarly shaky fashion, as a corner came all the way to the back post for Senderos to fire straight at a grateful Kalac.

Pato drilled well wide from distance, but Andrea Pirlo gave the ball away to Adebayor foolishly in the D and Milan were fortunate Emmanuel Eboue' fired wide with only Kalac to beat.

The Rossoneri fought back as a dipping Pirlo free kick bounced just in front of Almunia and he pushed it round the upright with his forearm. Kaka went on a slalom dragging two Gunners behind him and fired wide of the near post, while Pato also shot off target.

Alberto Gilardino replaced Inzaghi and Theo Walcott came on for Eboue', as both sides tried to inject some fresh legs into attack with 20 minutes remaining. A corner was cleared to Oddo, whose snapshot hit Gilardino in front of Almunia.

There was absolute chaos in the Milan box, though. A free kick ricocheted around the area and Kalac used his legs to block Walcott's shot, eventually managing to smother it at the feet of Adebayor.

Pato didn't realise he was on side and a good counter was wasted, but soon after he skipped past Clichy and flashed a left-foot shot across the face of goal with a deflection, though the corner was not given.

Pato attempted an audacious curling shot from the edge of the area and it was easy for Almunia when he should perhaps have passed to Gilardino.

It needed a moment out of nowhere to break the deadlock in this tie and it came from Fabregas. He unleashed a sudden snapshot from 25 yards that may have taken a deflection off Nesta's elbow. on its way past Kalac at the near post.

This meant Milan needed two goals in the last five minutes to qualify, but their heads were down now and Arsenal found it easy to get a second on the counter. Kaladze failed to stop Walcott down the right and he crossed for a simple Adebayor tap-in.

Milan: Kalac; Oddo, Nesta, Kaladze, Maldini; Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Kaka; Inzaghi (Gilardino 69), Pato

Arsenal: Almunia; Sagna, Gallas, Senderos, Clichy; Eboue’ (Walcott 70), Flamini, Fabregas, Diaby; Hleb (Gilberto 89); Adebayor

Ref: Plautz (Aus)

Kaka, Pato on Brazil's squad for friendly

Kaka and teenage striker Alexandre Pato were among 22 selected by Brazil coach Dunga on Tuesday for a friendly on March 26 against Sweden in London.

Kaka and Pato both play for AC Milan, which was eliminated from the Champions League last week.

Following is the complete roster with club team in parentheses:

Goalkeepers: Diego Alves (Almeria), Julio Cesar (Inter Milan).

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Sevilla), Alex Costa (Chelsea), Juan (Roma), Lucio (Bayern Munich), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Rafinha (Schalke), Leo (Gremio).

Midfielders: Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Hernanes (Sao Paulo), Josue (Wolfsburg), Kaka (AC Milan), Lucas (Liverpool), Richarlyson (Sao Paulo), Diego (Werder Bremen), Julio Baptista (Real Madrid).

Forwards: Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Rafael Sobis (Real Betis), Robinho (Real Madrid), Thiago Neves (Fluminese) and Luis Fabiano (Sevilla).

Pato Delighted With Life At Milan

Teenage sensation Alexandre Pato has spoken of his happiness with life at Milan.

The Brazilian joined the Rossoneri last summer from Internacional, and has made a sensational start to his Serie A career, scoring six goals in 10 games since making his debut in January.

“I chose Milan because they are a great team and everybody told me that I couldn’t choose a better club,” Pato explained.

“This side is like a family. There are lots of Brazilians here and so many people to keep me calm.

“Marcos Cafu is always around me and talking to me and is a reference point for any Brazilian who arrives at Milan.

“My compatriots are great examples for me from Ronaldo to Emerson and Kaka to Serginho – they have won so much and I admire them lots.

“Personally, I still have lots of things to improve, including my Italian, which I am studying hard every day,” he continued.

Pato’s fine form has seen him rewarded with a call-up to the Brazil national team for their friendly against Sweden at the Emirates Stadium in London on March 26.

“I am Brazilian and it’s very important to me to wear the Selecao jersey. I am very happy to be picked and also delighted that Kaka will be there,” Pato concluded.

PARTICULAR SIGNS: PATO

Alexandre Pato was the guest at Milan Channel close to the Rossoneri fans: “At Milan I’m fine, it’s like a family and I feel at home. Ronaldo is the greatest" – PATO'S DECLARATIONS -

Alexandre Pato was the guest of Segni Particolari (Particular Signs). These are some of his declarations:

First thing, the Brazilian national team: “I’m Brazilian and for me playing with the shirt of my national team is very important. I’m happy for the call-up (friendly game of the 26th of March against Sweden, in program in London, at the Emirates Stadium) and I’m happy that Kaka will be there too.

“Cafu is always with me, he talks to me, he gives me suggestions and he's a reference point for the Brazilians who arrive at Milan. The Brazilian players of Milan are great examples for me, from Ronaldo to Emerson, from Dida to Cafu, from Kaka to Serginho: they have won a lot, with Milan and with the national team, and I admire them a lot.”

Pato has been praised straight away for his great performances during training, which were spontaneous: “I try to be calm on and off the pitch, and I try to do the best thing for me and the team.”

Many teams wanted Pato before he signed for Milan: “I did not have many doubts, I spoke with my dad, with the persons who are close to me, and I chose Milan because it is a great team, a serious club. Everyone told me that I would not find a better place, and then there are many Brazilians. For me, Milan is a family and a home. There are many people who give me serenity and tranquillity.”

Other declarations: “I still have a lot to improve, and each day I work for this. Also the Italian language! It’s getting better, but I study every day.

“The goals I like best from the ones I scored so far at Milan are those I scored against Napoli and Fiorentina.

“The best player ever? Ronaldo.”

ROMA-MILAN

GOALKEEPERS: Dida, Fiori, Kalac;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Digao, Favalli, Kaladze, Maldini, Oddo, Simic;

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Emerson, Gattuso, Kaka, Pirlo, Seedorf;

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Pato, Paloschi.

Seedorf issues Pato warning

Clarence Seedorf has warned Milan’s fans not to put too much pressure on Alexandre Pato and reiterated the importance of securing fourth place.

Teen sensation Pato has made a lightning start to life in Italy and is already a crucial figure at San Siro, but there are fears that he has too great a burden on his young shoulders.

“He is a fantastic talent, but we already knew that,” the Dutch midfielder told Sky Sport Italia.

“I have always tried to calm the hysteria, but not because I don’t want him to be praised.

“Look at what happened to Adriano – he became the Emperor of Inter at 22-years-old, but he didn’t have the moral or mental capacity to be a leader and now look at where he is.”

This weekend sees a huge clash between Roma and Milan and a win is vital for the world champions’ bid to take part in next season’s Champions League.

“We are proud of what we have achieved, but now we are obviously thinking about finishing fourth and building a future,” Seedorf stressed.

“From next season we want to be competitive in Europe and also in the other competitions.

“When you are in the top few you always have a chance and our winning cycle won’t be over. But there won’t be a future if we aren’t in the Champions League.”

AS Roma 2:1 AC Milan - match report

Scorers: Kaka 56', Giuly 78', Vucinic 81'

Ludovic Giuly and Mirko Vucinic overturned Kaka's goal in three minutes for Roma's 2-1 victory over Milan.

There was a great deal at stake at the Olimpico, as the Giallorossi needed to keep up the pressure on Inter and the visitors had to maintain their race for a top four finish. Gennaro Gattuso returned from suspension, but Alessandro Nesta, Nelson Dida, Serginho, Marek Jankulovski, Ronaldo, Pippo Inzaghi and former Roma hero Marcos Cafu didn't make the trip. This meant Carlo Ancelotti - an ex-Giallorossi hero as a player - was able to field a Christmas Tree formation.

Christian Panucci performed a perfectly-timed challenge to tackle Kaka in the box, while Giuseppe Favalli had to clear for a corner when a dangerous Amantino Mancini cross found the Milan defence unprepared.

Zeljko Kalac's poor clearance was straight at Simone Perrotta and risked giving away a goal, but 30 seconds later Alexandre Pato's chipped cross was just too high for Clarence Seedorf.

The first real chance was on 25 minutes when De Rossi's cross was flicked on by Totti and Mancini's acrobatic scissor-kick was over the bar. Moments later Milan threatened too, as Seedorf went past two defenders and Alexandre Doni plucked Kaka's header out of the air.

Totti found space from nine yards on a chipped Rodrigo Taddei pass over the defence, but flashed his shot across the face of goal.

Seedorf dribbled past four defenders to enter the area, but eventually Taddei managed to cut off his path as the last man with a crucial intervention. Kaka nodded a Favalli cross wide of the far post.

Totti rolled back for the unmarked David Pizarro, but his scuffed shot and a Juan attempted deflection were off target.

Max Tonetto's cross from the left was a couple of inches too high for Totti to connect a header from six yards in first half stoppages. At the half-time whistle Totti and Luciano Spalletti were furious, as a corner was halted for an irregularity.

Straight after the restart Seedorf slipped a pass through the crowd of defenders for Kaka, but the Brazilian had a powerful effort parried from seven yards by one strong Doni hand.

Moments later Doni was again called into action with a low one-handed save at the near post on Seedorf, as Milan were far more aggressive in the second half.

Milan were piling on the pressure and opened the scoring on 56 minutes. Massimo Oddo had acres of space down the right channel to run onto Andrea Pirlo's pass and crossed for Kaka to smash under the bar from eight yards with the inside of his left foot.

Totti had a great chance to equalise, but the move was halted for an evident handling offence.

The Rossoneri really should have been 2-0 up on the hour mark. Seedorf combined brilliantly with Pato and the Dutchman squirmed past Doni, but lost his footing from that challenge and Cicinho was able to get back for a goalline clearance.

Ludovic Giuly and Mirko Vucinic were introduced to spice up the Roma attack, but Milan kept pushing and Pirlo's pass over the defence found Kaka totally unmarked for a half-volley that Doni palmed over the bar.

Zeljko Kalac smothered a Vucinic snapshot, but on the counter Pato skipped past Juan and jumped over Doni, earning only a booking for simulation. Emerson replaced Seedorf and was greeted with jeers by the Roma crowd, as he had left the club controversially to join rivals Juventus.

Totti's backheel sent Vucinic clear and he fired over, while Pato selfishly went for goal.

Roma equalised in chaotic circumstances 12 minutes from time. The ball ricocheted around and Perrotta eventually managed to thread a pass through for the utterly unmarked Giuly to volley in from eight yards.

Paolo Maldini's challenge prevented Perrotta from giving them the lead 60 seconds later, but Vucinic turned the game around completely! He sprung the offside trap on a De Rossi ball from the right to slide an angled drive past Kalac.

It wasn't over yet and Totti's lob was just too wide and it was end to end stuff in these final minutes. There was more bad news for the Rossoneri, as Kaka pulled up with lower back pain, something that has been troubling him for some time.

Kalac saved from Giuly and Totti didn't get enough power to a header from Vucinic's cross, but in stoppages Milan players were queuing up and couldn't make contact with Oddo and Pirlo crosses, as Alberto Gilardino took it off Alberto Paloschi's head. The last kick of the game was a Pirlo free kick over the bar.

Roma: Doni; Cicinho, Panucci, Juan, Tonetto; De Rossi, Pizarro (Giuly 62); Taddei (Aquilani 72), Perrotta, Mancini (Vucinic 56); Totti

Milan: Kalac; Oddo, Maldini, Kaladze, Favalli; Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini (Gilardino 85); Kaka (Paloschi 87), Seedorf (Emerson 72); Pato

Player Ratings: Roma 2-1 Milan

Late goals from Ludovic Giuly and Mirko Vucinic cancelled out Kaká's opener to give Roma a 2-1 victory over AC Milan at the Stadio Olimpico

Kalac 3.5 – Hard to be positive here. Looked nervous throughout, didn’t command his box, was dodgy with clearances and probably shouldn’t have let Vucinic beat him at his near post.

Oddo 6 – Awful before the break with unconvincing defending and disappointing crosses, but far more assured in the second half and gave a superb assist for the goal. Less to blame for the late mistakes than the rest of the back line.

Maldini 6.5 – Had an outstanding game, commanding at the back and ruthless going forward – only to then play a leading role in the late collapse.

Kaladze 4.5 – It’s clear the Georgian isn’t yet on top form – looked very fragile in the first half and his indecision proved costly at the end.

Favalli 5.5 – Looked fairly comfortable at the back and got forward well but things changed with the emergence of Giuly.

Gattuso 5.5 – Struggled to stamp his authority on this game.

Pirlo 6 – Wasteful with his own chances but delivered some terrific passes, not least in the build-up to the goal.

Ambrosini 5 – Clearly a loser in the battle of the midfield

Kaka 6.5 – Sloppy at times, brilliant at others. Got the goal and always carried a threat.

Seedorf 7 – Probably Milan’s best player even though he squandered a great chance to make it 2-0. Things fell apart only when he was subbed.

Pato 5.5 – Poor final balls didn’t help his cause but then he didn’t make use of what he was given either. Terrible dive.

Substitutes

72mins Emerson (NA); 85mins Gilardino (NA); 88mins Paloschi (NA)

MILAN - SAMPDORIA

GOALKEEPERS: Dida, Kalac, Fiori,

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Favalli, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Nesta, Oddo,

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Emerson, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Kakà, Pirlo, Seedorf,

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Pato, Paloschi.

AC Milan 1:2 Sampdoria - match report

Scorers: Maggio 12 (S), Delvecchio 25 (S), Paloschi 71 (M)

Milan tumbled to a shock home defeat that sees Sampdoria close to within a point and the Champions League dreams perhaps evaporate completely.

Few would have expected it at the start of the season, but this was effectively a head-to-head for UEFA Cup football. Just two points divided the teams going in. Milan were still smarting from their 2-1 loss at Roma and were without Ronaldo, Pippo Inzaghi, Marcos Cafu, Serginho and Yoann Gourcuff. Antonio Cassano continued to sit out his five-match ban and was joined by Daniele Franceschini on the naughty step.

Samp had not won here since a 3-2 result on February 2, 1997. Zeljko Kalac recovered from injury to start this game and took the sting out of an early Emiliano Bonazzoli attempt.

Milan were forced to change their tactics when Kaka limped off after just 10 minutes to make way for teenage striker Alberto Paloschi.

The Blucerchiati were more confident and took a deserved lead after 12 minutes. The Milan defence was caught napping, as the ball took two touches from Sampdoria players in the box before Christian Maggio's tap-in from five yards.

Massimo Ambrosini had penalty appeals waved away for a Maggio shirt tug and Paloschi fired wide of the near post from Clarence Seedorf's pass.

Instead, Sampdoria doubled their lead. Seedorf's backheel for Alexandre Pato was intercepted and they completed a classic counter-attack with Gennaro Delvecchio's finish.

Sergio Volpi's fierce free kick flashed across the face of goal with several Samp players flying in to get the decisive touch.

Alessandro Nesta had a rare crack at goal from 30 metres that was not too far off the target, then Seedorf was flagged offside - incorrectly - and fired wide anyway with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Maggio could so easily have made it 3-0 on the counter only to blast over the bar.

A well-timed Daniele Gastaldello tackle stopped Paloschi from scoring just inside the box. Alberto Gilardino came off the bench at half-time for a more attacking formation and with his first touch had a header deflected over from a corner. Gila also felt he deserved a penalty for a Stefano Lucchini challenge.

Milan were unlucky not to re-open the game as Pirlo's free kick smacked the base of the upright thanks to a Castellazzi fingertip save.

The Rossoneri finally got a goal back through their liveliest and most effective player - 18-year-old Paloschi - who got a glancing header to a Pato cross on 71 minutes.

Kakha Kaladze had more penalty appeals for a shirt-tug and Giuseppe Favalli's snapshot flashed past the near post.

Lucchini saw red in stoppages for a second bookable offence and Pirlo's free kick took a series of deflections in front of the goal.

Gennaro Gattuso was so nearly the San Siro hero with the captain's armband on, but Castellazzi did well to palm his shot out for a corner.

Milan: Kalac; Oddo, Nesta, Kaladze, Jankulovski (Favalli 55); Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini (Gilardino 46); Kaka (Paloschi 10), Seedorf; Pato

Sampdoria: Castellazzi; Lucchini, Gastaldello, Accardi; Maggio, Sammarco, Volpi, Palombo, Pieri (Zenoni 74); Delvecchio (Ziegler 88), Bonazzoli (Bellucci 76)

Ref: Banti

Sent off: Lucchini 91 (S)