Bellazon

Alexandre Pato
Thumbnail

alexpato&marquez

Pato: Praise Isn't Pressure

Alexandre Pato told UEFA.com that the praise lavished hon him by the AC Milan hierarchy prior to his January debut did not put him under pressure. Indeed, he welcomed it...

The 18-year-old forward arrived in Milan at the end of 2007 from Internacional, making his debut after clearing European Union regulations in January.

Amidst words of extreme praise from the likes of club president Silvio Berlusconi and general manager Adriano Galliani, the youngster may well have succumbed to pressure, but instead he's started off in fine form.

He told UEFA.com, "I was happy to listen to people saying I was a great player.

"I thank them for looking after me, on and off the pitch, and for being my friends. It makes you want to do your best for them."

Too Much Too Young?

Indeed, it wasn't the first time that massive things had been expected of him after a culture change.

"I left home when I was eleven to play for Internacional, which was quite young," he said with more than a hint of understatement.

"Then, when I was 17, I left Brazil to come to Italy. I was really happy to join a great club like Milan who have welcomed me with open arms. My heart told me: 'Do your best because they are your friends and want to help you.'

"There are eight Brazilian players including me and they have supported me from the start. They still do."

The 18-year-old insists that he's settled in with no problems thanks largely to his compatriots and former idols.

"These are the players I played with on Playstation and watched on television," he admitted.

"They all surprised me when I arrived as they were all humble and friendly, giving me the support I needed. Now I want to do my best and help the team more and more."

One of these players, Kaka, offered nothing but praise for his young countryman.

"Pato is doing brilliantly for a young man of 18 who is just beginning his career at a big European club," he said.

"He has a massive future. I haven't given him any particular advice, I have just said he should follow what he has in his own mind. So many people tell you so many things, but you've got to follow your instincts, do things your way.

"I think you can learn a lot from what people tell you, but you learn even more from your own experience."

Experience

Pato has managed to hit more than a few goals already, such as against Napoli early on in his Milan career.

"I was delighted as I managed to do my best and score," he said.

"I was also pleased to play with so many stars and my idol Ronaldo.

"Our Champions League defeat? Playing in the UEFA Champions League was always a dream of mine. My friends used to play the official UEFA anthem to me, to give me an idea of how it would feel to be there.

"My objective now is to work hard and win trophies for Milan. I want to become a great player in Italy and to be recognised all over the world."

TORINO-MILAN

GOALKEEPERS: Dida, Fiori, Kalac,

DEFENDERS:Digao, Favalli, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Simic,

MIDFIELDERS:Ambrosini, Brocchi, Emerson, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Pirlo, Seedorf,

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Paloschi, Pato.

Pato fulfils great expectations

The best things in life are worth waiting for, and for AC Milan fans, a first glimpse of Pato in a Rossoneri shirt counts among them. The anticipation surrounding the 18-year-old's debut was huge and he did not disappoint with a goal in a 5-2 victory against SSC Napoli on 13 January. He has scored another five in ten Serie A matches since, with the pick of the bunch coming at Calcio Catania on 27 February.

Sheva reminder

Orange boots flashing, he cut inside to create space then fired a low shot from 25 metres into the far corner. For Milan supporters, the strike was reminiscent of Andriy Shevchenko in his pomp. The two forwards may have different strengths and styles, but with Pato having inherited the Ukrainian's No7 shirt, Milan are hoping he can emulate the success Shevchenko enjoyed at San Siro.

Great expectations

Milan signed the precocious Brazilian last summer from SC Internacional but were unable to field him until January because of Italian regulations concerning non-EU minors. Even when he wasn't playing, though, expectations were sky high. "If Pato continues to do what he does in training, he will get 30 goals by June," proclaimed Milan president Silvio Berlusconi, citing the words of coach Carlo Ancelotti. Some youngsters might have crumbled under such pressure. For Pato, it served only as motivation. "I was happy to read the news and listen to people saying I was a great player," he told uefa.com. "I thank them for looking after me, on and off the pitch, and for being my friends. It makes you want to do your best for them."

Maturity

Pato's maturity, as much as his goals, has impressed Ancelotti. "I left home when I was eleven to play for Internacional, which was quite young. Then, when I was 17, I left Brazil to come to Italy. I was really happy to join a great club like Milan who have welcomed me with open arms. My heart told me: 'Do your best because they are your friends and want to help you.'" With such a big Brazilian presence at Milan, Pato quickly felt at home. "There are eight Brazilian players including me and they have supported me from the start. They still do, on and off the pitch, as they are much more experienced than me."

Kaká praise

Ballon d'Or winner Kaká is one of them. "Pato is doing brilliantly for a young man of 18 who is just beginning his career at a big European club," Kaká told uefa.com. "He has a massive future. I haven't given him any particular advice, I have just said he should follow what he has in his own mind. So many people tell you so many things, but you've got to follow your instincts, do things your way. I think you can learn a lot from what people tell you, but you learn even more from your own experience."

'Support'

For Pato, the warm welcome he received from the likes of Kaká and the other Milan stalwarts came as a surprise. "These are the players I played with on Playstation and watched on television," he said. "They all surprised me when I arrived as they were all humble and friendly with me, giving me the support I needed. Now I want to do my best and help the team more and more."

Arsenal disappointment

He certainly started as he meant to go on in his belated, goalscoring debut against Napoli. "I was delighted as I managed to do my best and score," he said. "I was also pleased to play with so many stars and with my idol Ronaldo." Pato's first taste of the UEFA Champions League was less sweet, with Milan being eliminated in the first knockout round by Arsenal FC. "The first leg in London was played at a quick tempo and we failed to score the away goals we needed. Then we had the deciding match here in Milan and lost it. We are still down about that."

'Dream'

Milan are now fifth in Serie A and in danger of failing to qualify for the UEFA Champions League. Having briefly experienced the élite competition, Pato is desperate to get back there. "Playing in the UEFA Champions League was always a dream of mine. My friends used to play the official UEFA anthem to me, to give me an idea of how it would feel to be there. My objective now is to work hard and win trophies for Milan. I want to become a great player in Italy and to be recognised all over the world." That surely is only a matter of time.

Torino 0:1 AC Milan - match report

Scorer: Pato 66 (M)

Alexandre Pato grabbed a decisive goal as Milan get back on track following two defeats on the trot, but relegation is becoming a real threat for the Granata.

These were desperate times for both teams after two straight losses. The Rossoneri's midweek home defeat to Sampdoria not only left them four points adrift of fourth place, but also put their UEFA Cup spot under pressure. Toro had Nikola Lazetic suspended and Matteo Sereni injured, while Kaka, Pippo Inzaghi, Ronaldo, Marcos Cafu and Serginho were sidelined.

Milan had not lost in Turin since November 2001, winning both their following visits. Torino had the first chance when Roberto Stellone held off Kakha Kaladze to thump the side-netting.

At the other end Alberto Maria Fontana beat away a deflected Andrea Pirlo free kick, then he flew to palm Clarence Seedorf's set play out from under the bar.

Another Pirlo free kick tested Fontana as he seemed to know little about the trajectory, while Seedorf's impressive scissor-kick was palmed round the near post.

Paolo Maldini dribbled down the left channel for his cross to be touched on by Alberto Gilardino, but Alexandre Pato's shot was deflected over the bar. From the resulting corner a looping Alessandro Nesta header hit the roof of the net.

Gilardino should have done better on the counter, but went for glory rather than rolling to the unmarked Pato.

Alessandro Rosina had a great chance smothered by Kakha Kaladze's perfectly timed challenge from eight yards. At the other end Fontana did well at full stretch to smother a deflected cross for Pato that came off Marco Di Loreto.

Seedorf was totally unmarked from nine yards for a right-foot sweeping shot on the volley that cracked against the underside of the crossbar from Pato's assist.

Gilardino wasted another golden opportunity when one-on-one with Fontana.

Milan finally broke the deadlock on 66 minutes. Gilardino gathered Seedorf's pass and with his back to goal managed to draw out the goalkeeper and swing across for Pato to prod the ball over the line. He was not in an offside position, as the Brazilian was clearly behind the ball.

Pato went forward and set up Seedorf, bringing a tough save out of Fontana's outstretched leg.

Toro threw on Alvaro Recoba and Nicola Ventola in a bid to get level. They went close too on 77 minutes, but Zeljko Kalac rushed out to flap the ball of Stellone's feet and Ventola fired the follow-up wide.

Torino: Fontana; Diana, Natali, Di Loreto, Pisano; Rosina, Corini (Ventola 70), Grella, P Zanetti; Stellone, Di Michele (Recoba 73)

Milan: Kalac; Oddo, Nesta, Kaladze, Maldini; Gattuso (Brocchi 66), Pirlo, Ambrosini; Seedorf; Pato, Gilardino

Ref: Saccani

Player Ratings: Torino 0-1 Milan

Carlo Garganese rates the players on show at the Stadio Olimpico this afternoon.

Kalac – 6.0: Did not have too many saves to make all game, but was largely reliable when called upon.

Oddo - 7: Oddo has been one of Milan’s most impressive players in recent weeks, and he was again up-and-down the right like a train this afternoon.

Nesta – 6.5: Sound performance from Nesta, who was a calming influence at the back.

Kaladze - 7.0: A few nervy moments, but he made one simply brilliant tackle to deny Rosina at the beginning of the second half.

Maldini – 7.5: Yet again defied his years with a wonderful performance. He was granted a standing ovation when he was replaced on 80 minutes.

Gattuso - 5: Gattuso is clearly on a downward spiral. He just does not have the energy he used to have. Time for Roberto Donadoni to axe him from the Italy starting XI.

Ambrosini – 6: Battled well in midfield, without really showing too much quality. An average game but nothing more.

Pirlo – 6: Pirlo had his spells during the match, but he still is struggling. Looks mentally tired, as well as physically.

Seedorf – 8: Linked the play between midfield and attack, and with a bit of luck could have had a hat-trick. Hit the crossbar, was twice denied by Fontana, and also helped set-up the winner.

Pato – 8: Given time this player is going to be one of, if not, the best forward in the world. Still needs to mature, but his potential is frightening. Unstoppable at times today, and scored the crucial goal.

Gilardino - 7: I feel so happy to be able to give Gilardino a positive mark. Struggled in the first half, but was pivotal after the break, created Pato’s goal, and was also denied himself by a great Fontana save.

LET'S KEEP IT UP

At the end of the victory away to the Granata, the rossoneri were satisfied with the performance and for having earned three very important points for the fourth place. THE DECLARATIONS OF THE ROSSONERI

MASSIMO ODDO:

"We needed these three points for the morale, but especially for the standings. Too bad Fiorentina managed to win with a late goal, but we don't give up. Today it was crucial to win. Now we have two consecutive home games in which we must get six points at all costs. We came on the pitch with determination, we realised our mistakes and showed our will to win. The score could have been bigger because we created many chances, but it's OK because in the end we won. Away from home we usually do better than at home, but now we have to do better in our home games too."

ALEXANDRE PATO:

"Today I scored a very important goal because it brought the three points for the team. We played a great match against a team who played well. We attacked a lot before we managed to score. On the move of the goal, Gila played a great ball and all I had to do was put it in. Both in the first half and in the second we came on the pitch with determination and the victory arrived."

Pato Enjoys 'Important Goal'

Milan's matchwinner against Torino, Alexandre Pato, was a boy enjoying his work for the day as he spoke to Milan Channel.

It was a difficult yet must win game for the Rossoneri in the race for fourth place, and a determined Torino side hardly made things easier.

In the end, it was a man of the match performance by Alexandre Pato - highlighted by his 66th minute goal - that earned Milan three points, and the Brazilian was pleased with his effort.

"Today I scored a very important goal because it brought the three points for the team," he said after the game.

"We played a great match against a team who played well. We attacked a lot before we managed to score."

"On the move that resulted in the goal, Gila [Alberto Gilardino] played a great ball through and all I had to do was poke it in," he added.

"Both in the first half and in the second we came onto the pitch with determination and the victory duly arrived.

Pato Overjoyed With Brazil Debut

Brazilian teenage sensation Alexandre Pato admitted to being overcome by emotion following his dream debut for the Selecao last night.

The 18-year-old AC Milan hot-shot showed some sublime touches during his 30 minutes against Sweden, and capped a fine performance by snatching the goal that separated Brazil and Sweden.

"My parents called crying," Pato said. "I was moved too, because everything I've been achieving in life I owe it to them, to the education they gave me, to the support they gave me in the most difficult moments.

"I'm glad I'm being able to give back everything they have done to me. There's nothing better in life than to be able to do this for your parents."

The Brazilian media broke out the superlatives following Pato's dream debut, comparing him to former Brazilian greats Pele, Zico and Rivelino.