Bellazon

Alexandre Pato
Thumbnail

alexpato&marquez

Catania 1:1 AC Milan - match report

Scorers: Pato 55 (M), Spinesi 63 ©

Alexandre Pato's opener was cancelled out in Catania, but the home side can complain at two disallowed goals.

The Sicilians had lost four on the trot, but had already defeated Milan over two legs on their way to the Coppa Italia semi-final earlier this season. Having said that, their last Serie A victory over the Rossoneri was in May 1963. Kaka was out with a knee injury and Andrea Pirlo rested.

Alexandre Pato was immediately dangerous, halted for a very tight offside position and a left-foot strike charged down. Silvestre just failed to get on the end of a set-piece at the back post.

Pato got down the right channel and sparked a promising move, but Clarence Seedorf's finish was deflected out for a corner by the desperate Mark Edusei with the goalkeeper sliding in.

Zeljko Kalac bravely plucked a Gennaro Sardo cross off Giuseppe Mascara's foot, causing pain to the little finger he dislocated just over a week ago.

Pato continued to test Ciro Polito from distance and Pippo Inzaghi nodded a Marcos Cafu cross just past the post.

In the second half Seedorf's free kick was too high to trouble Polito, while at the other end Martinez failed to make the most of a promising opportunity.

The disappointing match sprung to life thanks to 18-year-old Pato. He shook off three Catania players 25 metres out, then unleashed a right-foot snapshot that bounced just in front of Polito to slip into the far bottom corner of the net.

Inzaghi also scored on 62 minutes, but it was correctly disallowed for an offside position.

It proved decisive, as moments later substitute Gionatha Spinesi equalised for Cataia, springing the offside trap to nod in a Vargas cross from the left. Spinesi had only been on the field for four minutes and was surprisingly out of the starting XI after coming under pressure from fans for missing a penalty last week.

Catania hit the back of the net again soon after, but it was disallowed for Silvestri's soft push on Daniele Bonera. Kalac blocked a Martinez header, as the Sicilians were now pouring forward.

The Elefanti had a second goal disallowed for a tight Colucci offside position, but Milan seemed to lose all momentum after Inzaghi's attempt was ruled out.

Polito got a scare from Pato late on, but neither side was able to get past the 1-1 scoreline.

Catania: Polito; Sardo (Spinesi 59), Silvestri, Stovini, Silvestre, Varagas; Colucci, Edusei, Baiocco; Martinez (Alvarez 84), Mascara

Milan: Kalac; Cafu (Oddo 67), Bonera, Maldini, Favalli; Brocchi (Gattuso 79), Emerson, Ambrosini; Seedorf; Pato, Inzaghi (Gilardino 77)

TOO BAD!

"Too bad about the draw because we managed to go in front, then they equalised with a nice goal. Now we must think about beating Lazio." - THE DECLARATIONS OF THE ROSSONERI -

CATANIA - Here are the declarations made by the rossoneri after Catania-Milan 1-1:

DANIELE BONERA:

"Too bad because tonight it would have been fundamental to bring home the three points, we could and should have defended the lead better. We knew they would put us in difficulty near the end of the game, then they also had the crowd on their side and at a certain point we also risked losing. Then Catania made a tactical change, using Spinesi as a reference point with Mascara who played close to him. Too bad because after we went in front we could have closed the game."

ALEXANDRE PATO:

"I scored a nice goal, too bad we didn't win the game. During training the coach often asks me to shoot on goal and tonight's goal came because of this advice. Now we have to do better against Lazio, we're playing at home in front of our fans."

MASSIMO ODDO:

"The draw is the right result. Pato scored a wonderful goal, then Catania scored on their first dangerous chance and it was a nice goal as well. We are very tired, we have to recover our strengths and tonight certain players came on who don't always play. It's not easy to play so little and then do well as soon as you are called upon. The important thing is to remain close to the fourth place and take advantage of the next chances. Near the end of the match it became more difficult because of the tiredness."

FILIPPO INZAGHI:

"Too bad about the draw because we managed to go in front, then they equalised with a nice goal. On Sunday we won at the last minute, today we drew, but now we must only think about beating Lazio on Saturday night.

I didn't think the goal I scored was offside when they called it off, because I had tried to decelerate on Clarence's cross, I'm disappointed because we could have closed the game. Catania were very sealed off at the back, they had five defenders. In the first half we created some chances and gave little away, then after the equaliser we risked more. Now we have to think about Lazio because if we win on Saturday we would be on our way."

Pato: I Did It For Ronaldo

AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato dedicated his goal against Catania on Wednesday evening to injured striker Ronaldo...

The youngster's fellow Brazilian is currently laid up with a severe injury, adding a note of poignancy to Pato's dedication.

He told the media after his 30-yarder against Catania, "When I scored, I was thinking of Ronaldo."

He added, "It was a great feeling, like last year when I scored in the derby for Inter [internacional Porto Alegre]."

The 18-year-old, however, rued that his goal proved insufficient to aid his side towards three points.

"I scored, yes, but it wasn't enough to help us win," he sighed.

Pato has hit five goals in eight appearances so far in Serie A.

Galliani Pleased With Pato Progress

AC Milan Vice President Adriano Galliani says he is happy with the progress that Alexandre Pato is making, and that the right decision was made in buying him.

The 18-year-old Pato only made his debut for the Rossoneri last month, however he has already scored five goals in just seven Serie A starts, making him the club's third top-scorer for the season.

Pato was on target again last night in Milan's 1-1 draw with Catania, giving his side the lead with a powerful long-shot early in the second-half.

"Pato? He's an extraordinary lad and he scored a great goal," said Galliani.

"I'm very happy we bought this player. Ancelotti is trying to help him find his best position with a lot of good advice."

Milan's draw in Sicily means they drop two points behind Fiorentina in the all-important fourth Champions League position.

"It was a difficult match, but we knew it would be. We played quite well and then we conceded the goal," continued Galliani.

"With a third striker they put us in difficulty and this was the result. The draw was the right result, now we proceed in the battle for fourth place and think about the game against Lazio."

MILAN-LAZIO

GOALKEEPERS: Fiori, Kalac, Offredi;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Darmian, Digao, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Maldini, Oddo;

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Caraglia, Emerson, Gattuso, Gianola, Gourcuff, Seedorf;

STRIKERS: Aubameyang, Gilardino, Inzaghi, Pato, Paloschi.

AC Milan coach Ancelotti grateful to have Pato

AC Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti attempted to deflect criticism of striker Alberto Gilardino after his below-par performance in last night's 1-1 draw with Lazio.

"At the moment everyone must do more, not just him," replied Ancelotti to questions about Gilardino's disappointing display. "Fatigue at this stage of the season is a factor, but all teams suffer it and we must overcome."

Ancelotti had praise, however, for Brazilian youngster Alexandre Pato: "A great prospect, even from a position on the flanks, he provided us with good ideas. Through him, we can find important solutions.

"Alberto Paloschi? I brought him on because there were not many alternatives."

Massimo Oddo's penalty was needed to fight back from a Rolando Bianchi, on-loan from Manchester City, opener for Lazio.

MILAN-ARSENAL

GOALKEEPERS: Kalac, Fiori, Offredi

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Favalli, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Simic

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Gattuso, Emerson, Gourcuff, Pirlo, Seedorf

STRIKERS: Gilardino, Inzaghi, Paloschi, Pato, Kaka.