Bellazon

Gonzalo Higuaín
Thumbnail

Chic_Raul_ista

Higuaín to Realmadrid.com

"We know the game against Murcia will be difficult"

Gonzalo Higuaín has always said he is "very happy for being at the best club in the world." The Argentine does his best every day to earn continuity on the team.

Is it hard to prepare for a game when there are so many international fixtures during the week?

It isn't easy to focus; we always try to give 100% to have the best possible return to the League. We want to showcase our personality in the next match and in order to do that it is essential to train at a maximum level.

How does the dressing room feel?

Very well. We are all very happy because we are leaders in the League and the Champiuons League. There is no reason to feel sad. We have to take advantage of these good moments because they don't happen very often during an entire campaign.

Real Madrid's run in the League so far has been exceptional.

It's been a long time since the team had a start like this. Twenty-eight points in eight matchdays is a great figure. We have to enjoy it, but we must always keep our feet on the ground.

Murcia were promoted this season.

Every game against a small or recently promoted side is hard; our match against Almería proves it. We have to think the fixture against Murcia will be difficult and that we will have to fight hard to take three points.

It will be away from the Bernabéu, where you still haven't lost...

We are strong at home, but we are also doing well away from Madrid. That's why we must remain calm and focus on the game in Murcia. I hope the internationals don't return niggled or injured.

How do you feel on a personal level?

I'm happy. I would like to play much more, but I feel well. I know we are all going to have many chances and we have to make good use of them.

You get more chances as a winger than as a striker...

I like to play wherever they tell me to, but I admit the closest to the goal I am, the better. If the coach decides to play me down the wing, then I will do my best to take that chance and use it well.

Things have changed a lot since last season...

I arrived at a heavily criticised Real Madrid; I've even seen the crowd protesting. I've never regretted joining the best club in the world. Everything changed in six months and, now that we've won the League, we have a great season ahead of us.

You must be dying to score an important goal like the one you netted against Espanyol last year...

It was incredible. It was a match I will never forget. We were losing 3-1 at half-time and we all looked at each other and decided that couldn't be, so we went on to turn the score around. I scored in added time. All I remember is that I was close to the area, that I received the ball, gave it to Reyes, he gave it back to me and I defeated Kameni. I will never forget it. I guess you could say that is the best goal I've scored in Spain so far and one of the most beautiful strikes I've netted in my life.

Have you completely adapted to Spanish football?

Football here is very different to that of Argentina; it's faster and you have to make up your mind quicker. I think I've adapted well, especially thanks to those who love me.

Gago and Robinho...

Gago proved to be excellent when he was at Boca Juniors and he's been playing very well lately. I'm sure he will prove all his worth if he gets more playing time. I hope Robinho continues with the great run he's having.

What do you dream of?

My dreams have been coming true little by little. I wish to win the Champions League, but I still have a long time ahead of me in which to do that. I will work very hard.

Higuaín: I Have No Regrets About Joining Madrid

Gonzalo Higuaín is delighted with the turnaround at Real Madrid in the few months that he has been at the club, but is still hoping to be able to play more often.

The Argentinian forward believes that clinching the title in such dramatic circumstances last term changed the whole outlook of the club.

Now Madrid are back on top of the table and are set to qualify for the next stage of the Champions League and Higuaín has not regrets about moving to the Bernabéu.

"I arrived at a heavily criticised Real Madrid; I've even seen the crowd protesting," he told the club's official website.

"I've never regretted joining the best club in the world. Everything changed in six months and, now that we've won the League, we have a great season ahead of us.

"We are all very happy because we are leaders in the League and the Champiuons League. There is no reason to feel sad. We have to take advantage of these good moments because they don't happen very often during an entire campaign.

"I would like to play much more, but I feel fine. I know we are all going to have many chances and we have to make good use of them."

This weekend Madrid travel to Real Murcia and have only two days to prepare with the entire squad after the international break.

"It isn't easy to focus, but we always try to give 100 per cent to return to league action as strongly as possible," Higuaín continued. "We want to show what we can do in the next match and in order to do that it is essential to train hard.

"Every game against a small or recently promoted side is hard; our match against Almería proved that. We have to think the fixture against Murcia will be difficult and that we will have to fight hard to take three points.

"We are strong at home, but we are also doing well away from Madrid. That's why we must remain calm and focus on the game in Murcia. I hope the internationals don't return niggled or injured."

1- MURCIA: Notario; De Coz, Ochoa, Arzo, Peña; De Lucas, Movilla, Abel (Bruno, 90’), Richi; Baiano (Goitom, 73’) e Iñigo (Alonso, 80’).

1- REAL MADRID: Casillas; Ramos, Cannavaro, Pepe, Marcelo; Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robinho (Robben, 75’); Raúl (Higuaín, 75’) and Van Nistelrooy.

GOALS:

0-1, min.6: Robinho header.

1-1, min.48: De Lucas header.

REFEREE: Daudén Ibáñez. Booked De Lucas (28’), Baiano (33’), Pepe (51’), Movilla (69’), Van Nistelrooy (82’) and Abel (85’). Sent off Guti (82’).

NOTES: Matchday 13 of the Spanish League played at the Nueva Condomina. Attendance: 32,000.

Higuaín press conference

"We couldn't win, not because we were over-confident, but because of our rival's chances"

Gonzalo Higuaín offered Sunday's press conference and discussed how the team feels after last night's draw in La Nueva Condomina. The Argentine played the last 15 minutes of the match and continues working hard in his attempt to earn a starting role.

How does the team feel after yesterday's match?

We wanted to win, but couldn't keep the score in our favour. We didn't lose and we continue fighting to maintain a foothold on the top spot. Whether we remain top depends on Villarreal, so let's hope their result benefits us.

Was the team over-confident last night?

We couldn't win, not because we were over-confident, but because of our rival's chances. Winning was important to us, but we're still strong and making progress.

Do you think the referees are too permissive with Real Madrid's opponents?

I won't comment on the referees. I am only concerned about my team. They may be dead on or make mistakes, but talking about them isn't my job.

After a stoppage for internationals, should Schuster play those who weren't called up and well-rested?

That's the coach's decision. We work day in and day out to earn a spot in the starting eleven. I respect his decisions.

Did Guti apologize to the team for leaving you with ten men?

We all know what a standout player Guti is. He doesn't have to apologise. What happened happened and we understand. Let's just hope it doesn't happen again.

Werder Bremen vs. Real Madrid

Goalkeepers: Casillas, Codina & Dudek.

Defenders: Pepe, Ramos, Cannavaro, Marcelo, Metzelder & Torres.

Midfielders: Diarra, Gago, Guti, Baptista & Robben.

Forwards: Higuain, Saviola, Robinho, Van Nistelrooy & Raul.

3 - Werder Bremen: Vander; Fritz (Tosic, 5’), Mertesacker, Naldo, Pasanen; Franjes, Baumann, Hunt (Harnik, 76’), Jesen; Sanogo (Carlos Alberto, 87’) & Rosenberg.

1 - Real Madrid: Casillas; Ramos, Metzelder, Pepe, Marcelo; Diarra, Guti, Gago (Higuaín, 60’), Robinho (Robben, 24’); Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.

Referee: Pieter Vink. Booked Hunt (10’), Pepe (61’) and Diarra (87’).

Goals:

1-0: (4’): Rosenberg.

1-1: (14’): Robinho.

2-1: (39’): Sanogo.

3-1: (57’): Hunt.

3-2: (70’): Van Nistelrooy.

Highlights: Matchday 5 of the Champions League. Venue: Weserstadion. Attendance: 42,000.