Bellazon

Miguel Torres
Thumbnail

footballfan#7

MATCH REPORT

3 - Real Madrid: Iker Casillas; Miguel Torres, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Roberto Carlos (Cicinho, min.89); Beckham, Gago, Diarra, Robinho (Guti, min. 76); Raul and Van Nistelrooy (Higuai­n, min.90).

1 - Deportivo La Coruna: Aouate; Coloccini, Andrade, Lopo, Capdevila; Estoyanoff (Bodipo, min. 62), De Guzma¡n, Sergio (Verdu, min. 78), Cristian; Juan Rodri­guez and Arizmendi (Barraga¡n, min.86).

Goals:

1-0. Min. 29: Sergio Ramos boots it in after a header by Van Nistelrooy.

1-1. Min. 55: Capdevila slots home following De Guzma¡n's near post assist.

2-1. Min. 57: Raul heads in a perfect Beckham cross.

3-1. Min. 75: Van Nistelrooy after Raul's burrowing action.

Referee: Ferna¡ndez Borbala¡n, Andalusian Refereeing Committee. Booked Beckham (24') of Real Madrid and Cristian (29'), Estoyanoff (36'), De Guzma¡n (38'), and Coloccini (84') of Deportivo.

Highlights: Attendance: 83,000, for a Santiago Bernabeu full to capacity in Matchday 36 of the Primera Liga. Raul levelled with Gento's 605 match record with Real Madrid and scored his 187th League goal.

Torres to Marca

"We're going to win the last two finals"

Miguel Torres has only missed one match since getting the nod from Fabio Capello to play for the First Team. The multi-purpose defender has played 1,477 minutes over 18 matches, all as a starter except one. He has become an important piece of this Real Madrid team that is 180 minutes away from being proclaimed League champions.

Another final won against Deportivo and Real Madrid are one step closer to the League title.

We're only two steps away from reaching our goal and of sharing our success with our fans at the Cibeles Fountain. The team is in great form, confident, and really excited about finishing off the season on such a high note after all the hard work we've put in.

The title is still in your hands. How important is it that you control your own destiny?

We depend only on ourselves, which gives us peace of mind and confidence. We have two finals left and we're going to do whatever it takes to win them. We know no one is just going to hand us the title, so we have to go out there and play hard if we want to be champions.

Capello isn't very happy about the stoppage for international qualifiers and friendlies. Do you think it might be detrimental to your chances of winning the League?

We're not going to relax even with this stoppage. The team is very focused and we'll devote all our attention to winning the League once we get all our players back.

The two remaining finals will be very challenging because Madridistas are about to see the three year title drought come to an end. What's it like in the dressing room with such a close title run?

There's no tension. We're on top of the table so it's not worth easing up on the gas and losing everything we've worked so hard to accomplish up until this point. The hardest task is behind us and all that's left is to have fun and maintain this pace. We've got two very difficult games left and our only choice is to win out in order not to depend on anyone else. We're working hard and confidence is peaking. The veterans have said that this is the hardest League they've ever competed in, and that's why each victory is so much more meaningful.

The Bernabéu picked the team up when Deportivo netted the equaliser.

The fans have been outstanding. It was absolutely amazing. The team is firing on all cylinders, so I hope we pick up where we left off after the stoppage.

After beginning the season with Castilla, have you come to terms with the fact that your right in the thick of Madrid's quest for the League title?

Playing for Madrid is the greatest thing that could ever happen to me and I'm living it up. I try to take advantage of each opportunity the coach gives me and I am giving me heart and soul to this team. Winning a title with Madrid would fulfill a lifelong dream. This team will do whatever it takes to make our fans proud.