Bellazon

Liza Minnelli
Thumbnail

srepac

:wave: From Wikipedia

Liza May Minnelli (born March 12, 1946 in Los Angeles, California) is an Academy Award-winning and Tony Award-winning American actress and singer. She is the daughter of legendary actress and singer Judy Garland and her second husband, film director Vincente Minnelli.

Minnelli came from a well-known artistic family; her maternal lineage had entertainers in the family going back six generations.[1] Her famous mother had success in film and in music, and her aunts had been part of a singing group, "The Gumm Sisters," with her mother. Her father was a noted film director. Minnelli's first film appearance was at the age of three in the final scene of the 1949 musical In the Good Old Summertime, starring her mother and Van Johnson.

Minnelli started performing at age 16, in 1963, in an Off-Broadway revival of the musical Best Foot Forward, for which she received good notices. The next year, her mother invited Minnelli to perform with her at the London Palladium. The audience loved her, launching her musical career. She returned to Broadway at 19, and won a 1965 Tony Award for Flora the Red Menace.

Although Minnelli and her mother shared a warm personal relationship, Garland recognized Minnelli's talent and felt a sense of competition. Minnelli recalled a time where she was singing on stage: "I was onstage with my mother, but suddenly, she wasn't Mamma ... she was Judy Garland."[2] As a teenager with two younger siblings, Minnelli bore the brunt of Garland's substance abuse issues and instability, and often had to take responsibility for her mother and siblings.

Her first film appearance was as the love-interest in Albert Finney's only film as director and star, 'Charlie Bubbles (1967).

She also appeared in The Sterile Cuckoo (1969), as Pookie Adams, a needy, eccentric teenager. She played another eccentric character the following year in Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon.

In 1972, Minnelli appeared in perhaps her best-known film role, as Sally Bowles in the movie version of Cabaret. Minnelli's belting vocal style was featured in the song "Cabaret" from the film.

She finally got the chance to work with her father, legendary director Vincente Minnelli, in the 1976 fantasy-musical A Matter of Time, co-starring Ingrid Bergman. The film was neither a commercial nor a critical success.

Her appearance opposite Robert DeNiro in the 1977 film, New York, New York, gave Minnelli her signature song, "Theme from New York, New York". Frank Sinatra released a successful cover version (for his Trilogy: Past Present Future album) two years later.

Minnelli's appearance in The Sterile Cuckoo garnered the young actress her first Academy Award nomination.

In 1972, Minnelli won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in Cabaret.

Minnelli also won an Emmy Award for the 1972 TV special Liza with a 'Z', a 1990 Grammy Legend Award, and Golden Globe Awards for both Cabaret and the TV movie A Time to Live.

Minnelli has received a tree for the Tony Awards: a tony for Best Actress in a Musical in 1965 for "Flora the Red Menace" (and for it still holds the record as the youngest person to receive a Tony for lead in a play), a special Tony in 1974, and a second Tony, for The Act in 1978. She was nominated in 1984 for The Rink but lost to her costar, Chita Rivera.

Minnelli has one Oscar, Tony and Emmy, along with a special Grammy. She has the distinction of being one of the few Academy Award winners whose parents were both Academy Award nominees, and she is the only winner of that award whose parents were both winners of it as well.

thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

“When I was a kid growing up in Pittsburgh, I saved my pennies, wolfed down my salt and pepper soup, and ran downtown to see every Judy Garland movie. That’s why it’s so great to be good friends with her daughters, Liza Minnelli and Lorna Luft. Liza and Lorna are the best sister act since Jackie and Lee. Liza looks more like Judy, but Lorna sounds more like her. They both talk a mile a minute, jump around a lot, and pour out emotions all over the place. They both have so much energy, they get me to do things that I normally wouldn’t.” (A. Warhol, Exposures, London, 1979, p. 182)

NYR_2807_0062.jpg

• 7 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...