Bellazon

The Hateful Eight (2015)

Michael*

The film is still being cast and Tarantino is yet to start shooting, but the first teaser has been leaked (it was shown in selected American cinemas last week before screenings of 'Sin City: A Dame To Kill For'), hence the starting of the topic. :hehe:

Official synopsis reads: The Hateful Eight follows the steadily ratcheting tension that develops after a blizzard when a pitiless and mistrustful group are trapped together by circumstance. Stuck together on a stagecoach the eight, including a competing pair of bounty hunters, a renegade Confederate soldier, and a female prisoner, hole up in a saloon in the middle of nowhere.

• 1 year later...

h8051215BZNimage1.jpg h8051215BZNimage2.jpg h8051215BZNimage3.jpg

While racing toward the town of Red Rock in post-Civil War Wyoming, bounty hunter John "The Hangman" Ruth (Kurt Russell) and his fugitive prisoner (Jennifer Jason Leigh) encounter another bounty hunter (Samuel L. Jackson) and a man who claims to be a sheriff. Hoping to find shelter from a blizzard, the group travels to a stagecoach stopover located on a mountain pass. Greeted there by four strangers, the eight travelers soon learn that they may not make it to their destination after all.

Release date: December 25, 2015 (USA)

Director: Quentin Tarantino

Screenplay: Quentin Tarantino

Music composed by: Ennio Morricone

Cinematography: Robert Richardson

Cast:

Samuel L. Jackson

Kurt Russell    

Jennifer Jason Leigh 

Walton Goggins    

Demián Bichir    

Tim Roth    

Michael Madsen    

Bruce Dern    

James Parks    

Channing Tatum

Zoe Bell

h8051215BZNimage4.jpg h8051215BZNimage5.jpg h8051215BZNimage6.jpg h8051215BZNimage7.jpg h8051215BZNimage8.jpg h8051215BZNimage9.jpg h8051215BZNimage10.jpg h8051215BZNimage11.jpg h8051215BZNimage12.jpg h8051215BZNimage13.jpg h8051215BZNimage14.jpg h8051215BZNimage15.jpg h8051215BZNimage16.jpg h8051215BZNimage17.jpg h8051215BZNimage18.jpg h8051215BZNimage19.jpg h8051215BZNimage20.jpg h8051215BZNimage21.jpg h8051215BZNimage22.jpg

• 1 month later...

Anyone end up giving this a watch?

I was really disappointed by it, if I'm honest. At the heart of it there just isn't enough story to support the length of the film, so it comes across as extremely excessive, and at times just plain boring. You know how Tarantino films always have those 25-30 minute scenes which are pretty much all dialogue? Imagine that stretched across three long hours.

I saw this one and I agree 100% with you. I adore Tarantino and this is by far my least favorite movie of him, it was just too long and unnecesary, the story is weak and honestly it does get way too boring at times and nothing really happens and you're just ready for it to be over.

Great acting tho, the cast was brilliant. Shame it was wasted with the wak storyline.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I liked it a lot. It is a very different movie if you are a fan of the American western though.

Besides the oft-mentioned influences (The Thing, The Petrified Forest), this movie borrowed from countless classic American westerns:

The Tall T, Man of the West, The Tall Men, ...

As well as some Spaghetti westerns like "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2016 at 3:27 PM, Skinnyminny said:

this movie was some racist load of bullshit.

i rate the script 4/10 and the acting 5 and the ost 5 directing 5.

its pretty average movie but its racist so i would lower it to 4/10

The movie didn't exactly hit the spot for me either, but I would take issue with the rest. If a story is inhabited by racist and misogynistic characters, which this one certainly was, that doesn't automatically mean that it glorifies those things.

And as jarring as the repeated use of certain language in his dialogue can be, I've never gotten the impression that Tarantino was himself a racist. At a time when many prominent black actors are understandably pointing to a lack of diversity in mainstream cinema, here's a mainstream filmmaker who consistently promotes diversity in his films and regularly writes strong black characters in leading roles.