Bellazon

SALEM

Prettyphile

post-1004-0-1445988298-52161_thumb.jpg

Set in the volatile world of 17th century Massachusetts, 'Salem' explores what really fueled the town's infamous witch trials and dares to uncover the dark,

supernatural truth hiding behind the veil of this infamous period in American history. In Salem, witches are real, but they are not who or what they seem

Opening song by Marilyn Manson

“Salem” isn’t pandering to teens or playing it safe, they’re going all-in on being a softer version of an HBO series. I’d say the perfect comparison would be an FX series as “Salem” carries a similar tone in terms of blood, sex and violence as “American Horror Story.” I might even go as far as to say the sex is about as risqué as I’ve seen on the softer side of cable.

The settings and design were also strong, although it felt a bit constricted in terms of scope. I can only assume we’ll venture out of Salem in future episodes.

Something I’ve noticed here on Bloody is the obsession with “Bates Motel” mommy Vera Farmiga. I can assure those of you who fixated on Vera that you’ll be mesmerized by Janet Montgomery, the series lead. Much like Jessica Lange’s character in all of the “American Horror Story” seasons, it’s a bit unclear if Montgomery is good or bad; either way she carries a crazy strong presence that’s captivating.Another interesting note is that, between the gore and action, I could see shades of Sam Raimi.

post-1004-0-1445988298-5362_thumb.jpg

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2963254/?ref_=ttmd_md_nm

First episode is kinda slow, but I promise if you just keep watching it's well worth with it. Great show, good acting, beautiful setting, great writing...

9/10

post-1004-0-1445988298-58515_thumb.jpg

Torrent this show asap: http://kickass.to/usearch/Salem/

12 Episodes and it's been picked up for a second season!

Review that nails it:

Creative Twist on the Salem Witch Trials - GREAT SHOW

This show is excellent. I have absolutely no complaints except that I wish I could see it more than just once per week! Waiting until Sunday evening is torture! The way they've spun the story of the Salem witch trials is quite intriguing. Imagine if it really were the witches running things? Ha! Great depiction of the Puritans and their harsh ways. The torture they inflicted on their victims. The cast of characters are great too. Mary Sibley being portrayed by Janet Montgomery was just perfect! She did an amazing job. Looking at Shane West play Captain John Alden is not a bad thing either. I hope they renew this show for a second season. Mixing fact and fiction make it so much more exciting! Enjoy the show!

"I might even go as far as to say the sex is about as risqué as I’ve seen on the softer side of cable."

:| Well, I guess witches need love too. I remember Zoe on American Horror Story had the vagina that killed people, but can't say that I've seen too many witch sex scenes on television. It will be interesting to see how they portray these events though and the theme song is good. 

Salem Renewed for Season 2 at WGN America
The witches of Salem must’ve cast a spell on WGN America, because the network on Monday renewed the spooky series for a second season.
The period drama, WGN America’s first original, scripted drama, received a 13-episode Season 2 slated to air in 2015.

Salem‘s premiere drew 1.5 million total viewers, 650,000 of them in the coveted 18-34 demo, and earned the prestige of being the network’s most-watched telecast in seven years.
“[Co-creators/executive producers] Brannon Braga, Adam Simon, the talented cast and our great partners at Fox 21 have opened up an intriguing world that has captivated viewers,” Matt Cherniss, WGN America/Tribune Studios president and general manger, said in a statement. “We look forward to bringing more great storytelling, scares and surprises to viewers as the saga unfolds.”

The enchanting drama’s inaugural season airs Sundays at 10/9c.

Woah, I never would of picked you to be into shows like Salem. That's awesome!

I love horror :p . I read Red Dragon and Salem's Lot when I was 12 :ninja: and have been hooked since. Plus I'm glad to see the teen vampires dieing down and the witches having a resurgence lately. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I almost stopped watching after 6 episodes because i was bored to death and then it became more interesting and the last 3 episodes were epics! Mercy is pure evil :heart:

Mary should stop crying on very single episode! you are a witch for Satan sake! Get your shit together!

&

Anne going  "Carrie" crazy on last episode was... I don't what it was!? :rofl:

Xena the Warrior Princess :chicken:

Oh my witch!

• 3 weeks later...

WGN America has released the very first trailer from the all-new season of their breakout hit supernatural thriller “Salem,” returning on Sunday, April 5 at 10pm ET/9pm CT.

The haunting trailer features a first look at new recurring guest stars Lucy Lawless (“Xena: Warrior Princess”, “Spartacus”) and Stuart Townsend (“Betrayal,” “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen”) who have joined the series for season two. Lawless joins the cast as “Countess Marburg,” one of the last remaining survivors of the legendary line of ancient German witches and Townsend portrays English aristocrat “Samuel Wainwright” – a doctor looking to uncover the secrets of “Salem” and keep his own from those who would seek to discover them.

“Salem”, a bold re-imagination of the infamous 17th-century witch trials, returns for season two at the dawn of a Witch War. As the disease and devastation unleashed by a deadly supernatural ritual spread through the war-torn village, Salem’s most powerful witch, Mary Sibley, must face off against adversaries old and new who are vying for her throne.

“Salem” is a gripping one-hour drama that boldly re-imagines the infamous 17th century witch trials in colonial Massachusetts. The series stars Janet Montgomery, Shane West (“Nikita,” “ER”), Seth Gabel (“Arrow,” “Fringe”), Ashley Madekwe, Tamzin Merchant (“Jane Eyre”), Elise Eberle (“The Astronaut Farmer”) and Iddo Goldberg (“Mob City”).

• 1 year later...