Bellazon

Most over rated male athlete

68wolff

Who do you think is the most over rated male athlete in sports, past or present.

Tony Romo - What has he really done since he's been a pro, not anything I can remember. Besides chocking when the game is on the line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Allen Iverson, no doubt about it. I mean, you really can't be considered a all-time great even at your position if you no championship to show for it, right?

Not true, some of the greatest players ever don't have a championship. Example, Ken Griffey Jr is one of the best baseball players ever, but no World Series Championship, another is Dan Marino, great quarterback but no Super Bowl.

Allen Iverson, no doubt about it. I mean, you really can't be considered a all-time great even at your position if you no championship to show for it, right?

Not true, some of the greatest players ever don't have a championship. Example, Ken Griffey Jr is one of the best baseball players ever, but no World Series Championship, another is Dan Marino, great quarterback but no Super Bowl.

He just likes to hate on AI

He carried a crap team all the way to the championships all by his little batterd self. He deserves all the praise he gets. In fact, as funny as that whole 'practice' video is, if he were eloquent enough to make his point, you'd see he was speaking truth: How the hell can him practicing make his teamates better! :D

Team sports, 68. I mean, basketball is a team sport, too, but one player is basketball has more of a impact on a team than in baseball or football. Ken Griffey Jr unfortunately was never on a team with good enough pitching to get to a World series. Dan Marino was never on team with good enough defense to win a Super Bowl. On the other hand, can you imagine what the Bulls would be like with no Jordan, or the Showtime Lakers with no Magic?! :ermm:

Team sports, 68. I mean, basketball is a team sport, too, but one player is basketball has more of a impact on a team than in baseball or football. Ken Griffey Jr unfortunately was never on a team with good enough pitching to get to a World series. Dan Marino was never on team with good enough defense to win a Super Bowl. On the other hand, can you imagine what the Bulls would be like with no Jordan, or the Showtime Lakers with no Magic?! :ermm:

Yes, but Jordan's Bulls had other great players, who ever able to work with Jordan as did Magic. Iverson's entire team was complete shit; he carried a team as far as he could.

And I do hope you're not ignoring my opinion because I'm a chick...

Let me clarify as to Griffey and Marino, this was only in reference to the comment about being a great player and having a championship as to it doesn't take a championship to make a great player, it's not just what you do on the field, court, etc that make one great, it's also what you did for your and with your team.

AnaBBarrosFan:

Your right Jordan had good players with him on the championship teams, and that's the key word with that, team. It took a team to win the big one and not just one player.

As for Iverson, yes he was the big star of the team that one year, but what has he done since or before that year. One good year does not make a great player, any one can have one great year.

Jordan, Griffey, and Marino had multiple great years both as individual players and team players. That's what makes one a great player.

Iverson did not only have one good year :| and that team was not complete shit either. It had the 6th man of the year (Aaron McKie) and the defensive player of the year (Mutumbo). They lost the in the Finals because the Lakers were a powerhouse team. the West was much stronger than the East back then too.

Yes, but Jordan's Bulls had other great players, who ever able to work with Jordan as did Magic. Iverson's entire team was complete shit; he carried a team as far as he could.

And I do hope you're not ignoring my opinion because I'm a chick...

True Jordan and Magic had great supporting casts, but one of the reasons why those other players were great is because they played with JORDAN AND MAGIC!!! Scottie Pippen couldn't win a championship without Jordan. He tried, but couldn't do it. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar won a championship before, but he won more when Magic entered the picture. And "Big Game" James Worthy won all of his championship with Magic there.

And I'm not a sexist. Your gender has nothing to do with your sports IQ. :flower:

I think we got a little off topic, as much fun is to debate these great players all day, but the topic was about who we think is the most over rated player and why

Point taken. When it comes to football, I agree that Tony Romo is the most overrated. Matter of fact, I think at one time he was actually more famous for being Jessica Simpson's boyfriend that being an NFL Quarterback. Everybody in NY seems to hate on A-Rod, and I don't know why. It's a possibility that he may be overrated because now we know he was a steroid user, but so has Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, and many other guys, but they don't go through the same criticism. Right now I'd have to say the most overrated player in baseball is Stephen Strausberg. He debut was impressive, but then again, it was against the Pirates. He is facing the Indians next, but that should be a another easy win. Wait until he faces some winning teams, then let's see how good he is. Remember, there have been other pitchers before that people thought were gonna be great and then fell by the wayside. Anybody remember TODD VAN POPPEL?!

• 1 month later...

He's done nothing, and probably never will, especially when you throw almost twice as manny int's than you do td's, good college QB, but that's all.

Another to add to the list for me is Tim Tebow, great with Florida, but I can't see him being anything more than a #2 starter at best. I say this becuase you can't bring that college QB running game to the NFL, it's a good way to get hurt.