Bellazon

Guti
Thumbnail

Nicole

• 3 weeks later...

"Schuster is anxious to prove he can coach a great club like Real Madrid"

Real Madrid's second captain, José María Gutiérrez “Guti”, was the first to analyse the team's pre-season work so far.

Jose Mª Gutiérrez “Guti” talked to the media in the Press Room of the Schloss Pischlarn Hotel. The playmaker believes Barcleona will be the hardest team to beat next season.

Judging from Schuster's scheme it seems your position has been strengthened.

Schuster's Getafe played both with an attacking and a defensive midfielder. Judging from that, it seems my position has been strengthened. Many players from the youth system have been promoted to the first team and they want to stay, so things won't be easy for any of us. I am confident with what I can bring to the team.

The team's working method has already changed...

Yes. Last year we mainly focused on physical work, leaving ball work somewhat aside. Each coach is different and we have now started the pre-season focusing mainly on ball work, but I'm sure we will do a lot of physical exercises in time. Football players are more comfortable when they practice both aspects of the game.

1600d07288xgutirp2p.jpg

It seems obvious Schuster likes quality football...

He likes his teams to play well, but he also likes to have a strong defence; he tightly blends both aspects together. Nevertheless, despite the fact that we all want to play great football, the most important thing is to win, and to do that we must have decisive players and we must avoid conceding many goals. I also believe Real Madrid have to play good football, but we also have to win; it is no use playing well if we don't win because it then seems we aren't doing a good job. We are always obliged to be at the very top of our game.

How has the squad taken Capello's departure?

Alright. We were very happy with his work, but it's up to the Board to decide what to do with these matters and they preferred Schuster for the job. The squad is very happy with our new coach because he is very excited and anxious to prove he is capable of coaching an important team like Real Madrid. We must all do our part to help. We haven't worked much yet and we must use this time to get to know each other better.

Do you think the team needs more signings to be made?

The team has a good squad and there are some players who aren't here with us that have a lot to give, such as Julio Baptista. There are many players on the squad and we will all enjoy several minutes of playing time this season. Nevertheless, I will welcome any new signings, even if they are for my position, but I personally feel we have enough players as it is.

How do you feel when you hear the names of many players who play in your position that may join the team?

I feel well. If they come it would mean the team has more chances of using a rotation system. I have no problems with this because I believe I can bring a lot to the team and I will make things difficult for any newcomer.

Is the squad balanced?

Yes. We are a strong team with players capable of playing for many minutes during one game. The important thing is that the Club is signing players we need as opposed to signing stars. This is what we need in order to be strong challengers for every title.

1600d07288xgutirp1p.jpg

What do you think of Barcelona?

They were a great team last season and I think they are making excellent signings. They are strengthening every position, but we are the current League champions and they are the ones who have to become stronger.

Who has a better squad?They are basically equally good. They have many stars and we have a good team. They will be our strongest opponent.

Do you think Barcelona are now the galacticos

Maybe. We won many titles during that period and I'm sure they will do very well if the coach manages them well. But a team isn't simply made with famous names. For us it is very important to have players who know what it means to wear a Real Madrid shirt.

Is the team still hungry for titles after winning the League?

We're still hungry. Us veterans are dying to win more titles and the newcomers want this too. We hope this mixture of young and veteran players ends up being fruitful at Real Madrid. There's less tension now that we've won the League, but we know that not winning a title this season will be a disaster.

Is your goal to win the Champions League?

The three main competitions are our main goal. We've just started and we must do our best to win as much as we can, especially after the great efforts made by the Club.

We Should Keep Baptista, Claims Guti

Guti believes that Real Madrid should hang on to Julio Baptista and does not feel threatened by reports that the club are looking to sign a new player for his position.

The 30-year-old playmaker knows that new coach Bernd Schuster will employ a squad rotation system next term and is confident that he will have a major part to play.

Madrid travelled to their pre-seaon training camp in Irdning in Austria over the weekend without Baptista, but Guti hopes that he will remain at the club.

After playing in the Copa América, the Brazilian has been given extra holiday, but is reported to be the target for several clubs keen on signing him.

"We have a good squad here and there are some players who are not here with us that have a lot to give, such as Julio Baptista," Guti said.

"There are many players on the squad and we will all enjoy several minutes of playing time this season. Nevertheless, I will welcome any new signings, even if they are for my position, but I personally feel we have enough players as it is.

"If more new players come it would mean the team has more chances of using a rotation system. I have no problems with this because I believe I can bring a lot to the team and I will make things difficult for any newcomer.

"The team is still hungry. Us veterans are dying to win more titles and the newcomers want this too. We hope this mixture of young and veteran players ends up being fruitful at Real Madrid.

"There's less tension now that we've won the League, but we know that not winning a title this season will be a disaster."

Guti thinks that Schuster's style of playing means that he will require more midfielders to be included in the squad over the course of a long season.

"Schuster's Getafe played both with an attacking and a defensive midfielder," he continued.

"Judging from that, it seems my position has been strengthened. Many players from the youth system have been promoted to the first team and they want to stay, so things won't be easy for any of us. I am confident with what I can bring to the team.

"Last year we mainly focused on physical work, leaving ball work somewhat aside. Each coach is different and we have now started the pre-season focusing mainly on ball work, but I'm sure we will do a lot of physical exercises in time.

"Football players are more comfortable when they practice both aspects of the game.

"He likes his teams to play well, but he also likes to have a strong defence; he tightly blends both aspects together.

"Nevertheless, despite the fact that we all want to play great football, the most important thing is to win, and to do that we must have decisive players and we must avoid conceding many goals.

"I also believe Real Madrid have to play good football, but we also have to win; it is no use playing well if we don't win because it then seems we aren't doing a good job. We are always obliged to be at the very top of our game."

Guti happy with Madrid squad

Real Madrid playmaker Guti believes the Spanish champions do not need to make any more additions to their squad this summer.

Although a host of players have left the Bernabeu this summer, Madrid have also been busy drafting fresh blood in, with Pepe, Javier Saviola, Jerzy Dudek and Christoph Metzelder all new arrivals.

Roberto Soldado and Julio Baptista have also returned from their loan spells, but despite those reinforcements Real are still being linked with further signings, such as Arjen Robben, Jose Antonio Reyes, Kaka and Roysten Drenthe.

Guti, one of Real's three club captains last season, insists he would still welcome any new players into the fold, but feels that Real now have enough strength in depth without needing to make any extra signings.

"The team has a good squad and there are some players who aren't here with us (at Real's training camp in Austria) that have a lot to give, such as Julio Baptista," he said. "There are many players in the squad and we will all enjoy several minutes of playing time this season. Nevertheless, I will welcome any new signings, even if they are for my position, but I personally feel we have enough players as it is.

"We are a strong team with players capable of playing for many minutes during one game.

"The important thing is that the club is signing players we need as opposed to signing stars. This is what we need in order to be strong challengers for every title," added the 30-year-old, who insists he is not concerned about Real being linked with new signings who play a similar role to him.

"If they come it would mean the team has more chances of using a rotation system. I have no problems with this because I believe I can bring a lot to the team and I will make things difficult for any newcomer," he said.

REAL MADRID:

First half: Dudek; Ramos, Pepe, Metzelder, Torres; Diarra, Balboa, Guti, Granero, Bueno; Raúl.

Second half: Codina; Salgado, Pepe, Cannavaro, Cicinho; Higuaín, Emerson, De la Red, Adrián; Saviola, Soldado.

STOKE CITY: Simonsen; Delap, Matteo, Higgingbotton, Hill; Hoefkens, Polis Anthony, Rustale, Liam; Sidibe, Fuller. También participaron: Ryan, Adam, Dickenson, Rob, Buxton, Russel, Perugand, Parkin, Sweno, Wikingson.

GOALS:

1-0 (18'): Raúl.

2-0 (74'): Soldado from a penalty.

REFEREE: Mr. Adanitsch.

HIGHLIGHTS: First game in Real Madrid's 2007/08 preseason. Venue: ATV Irdning pitch. Attendance: 2,000.

REAL MADRID 0: Casillas; Cicinho (Pepe, min. 62), Ramos, Cannavaro, Torres; Diarra, De la Red (Granero, min.62), Balboa, Bueno (Guti, min.45); Higuaín, Raúl (Saviola, min.62)

HANNOVER 96 3: Enke; Cherundolo, Kleine, Zuraw, Tarnat; Balitsch, Yankov, Pinto, Bruggink; Huszti y Hanke. También jugaron: Krebs, Thorvaldsson, Lauth, Stajner y Schöter.