Bellazon

Guti
Thumbnail

Nicole

Besiktas Midfielder Guti Insists He & Raul Deserved Better Real Madrid Send Off

Former Real Madrid star Guti believes he and team-mate Raul deserved better send off leaving the club but insisted he didn't want to stay.

Former Real Madrid midfielder Guti has declared that he expected a greater send off from the Spanish giants after completing his summer switch to Turkish outfit Besiktas.

The 33-year-old veteran, who spent 15 years in los Merengues first team, said he had no contact with incoming coach Jose Mourinho prior to leaving the Santiago Bernabeu, but was disappointed that he and former team-mate Raul, now at Schalke, did not get the departure they deserved.

"You always want your departure to be special because I spent a long time here, but after not having it announced until the end of the season, the way it happened was normal. Is it true that both Raul and I needed something more. After all the time we spent here, our departures happened very fast," he told Onda Madrid radio before declaring he had no intention of staying at Madrid beyond the summer.

"I had taken a decision a long time ago and I showed that I am clear in my ideas. I did not talk about anything with Mourinho at any time. There was no contact, because since the day I announced it, the club knew that I wanted to go. It would be ridiculous to waste time with a team that I did not want to be in."

post-34297-0-1446082829-49412_thumb.jpg

Guti talks to Marca…

… to make sure people in Madrid have not forgotten him!

Q: How is your Turkish?

A: Non-existent. It’s very complicated. I’ve learned a couple of words to be able to understand my teammates on the field, but most everything has to be in English, the dominant language among the team because there are a lot of foreign players.

Q: Raúl has admitted that he’s feeling strange. Is the same thing happening to you?

A: Yes, I’m also feeling strange. I feel like a youth player that has been called up to the first team. But it’s just a matter of adapting as quickly as possible.

Q: Have you seen Raúl in the jersey of Schalke 04?

A: (Laughs). Yes, the other day I saw a picture of him on the Internet and it had a profound impact on me. But life continues, there are new stages, and that of Real Madrid has ended for Raúl and for me.

Q: I’m sure you talked with him. What have you told each other?

A: We’ve given each other a lot of moral support. It was hard for both of us to leave Madrid after so much time and when it appeared that we would both end our careers there. The truth is, I’m happy for him, because it appears that things are going well and I hope the same goes for me in Turkey. We’ve both chosen the same road: leaving Madrid to be able to continue enjoying football.

Q: You know that Raúl became emotional when he saw you say good-bye, right?

A: Yes, right after the act, he called me and told me that he had become emotional. The truth is that those are feelings built up during many years and it’s difficult to suppress them. A club like Real Madrid has a big impact on you and more for us, because we were there for so long.

Q: Have you said good-bye to Madrid forever?

A: No, it’s a ‘see you later.’ I would like to return to Real Madrid… I wouldn’t want to be president, but perhaps sporting director. Or something related to the youth teams to be able to help the younger players.

Q: They say that Canales is the new Guti.

A: I’ve seen him and the truth is that he’s very similar to me, both in his physical appearance as well as his playing style. I hope he triumphs in Madrid because he’s a kid with the conditions and the desire to triumph. He’s young and has very clear ideas. They’ve done right by bringing him over this season, because the sooner he begins to play with the team, the better.

Q: Xabi Alonso has taken over your 14.

A: I’ve seen that, but that’s nothing strange because that was his number at Liverpool. I told him at the end of last season: “I’m leaving you the 14, take good care of it for me.” [i don't know why, but that phrase makes me sad.] He has a lot of responsibility, but he’s a worthy successor. Champion of Europe, champion of the world, what more could you want?

Grp L: Besiktas 1-0 CSKA Sofia

Fabian Ernst's last-minute header earned Besiktas a 1-0 home victory to open their Europa League campaign against CSKA Sofia.

Bernd Schuster's Turkish side struggled to create much for large parts but they clicked into life after the introduction of Ricardo Quaresma on the hour and it was his tricky run which brought the foul from which his side scored.

Jose Maria Guti floated in the ensuing set-piece from the right wing and Ernst rose highest to claim the points.

A fairly tame opening half had shown some early signs of promise with Besiktas duo Rodrigo Tabata and Filip Holosko both shooting narrowly wide in the first 10 minutes.

At the other end William Tiero lobbed a shot from 12 yards over the crossbar before a far more speculative 25-yard effort from Marquinhos also drifted over.

But after the early activity there was little else to highlight the opening period.

The match needed a lift after half-time but neither side looked like conjuring a passage of play to decide the contest.

Mert Nobre shot harmlessly over from the edge of the area for the hosts shortly after the resumption while CSKA striker Gregory Nelson was similarly wasteful.

On the hour Schuster finally decided to inject the trickery of winger Quaresma, who was his side's leading scorer in qualifying, in place of Holosko.

The Portuguese had been a doubt for the game due to injury and while Schuster may have preferred to rest him for this weekend's derby with Fenerbahce his side needed a creative outlet.

Quaresma's first action was to swing in a cross which CSKA goalkeeper Rais M'Bohli held well.

Besiktas started to string chances together but Tabata was unable to beat M'Bohli from 12 yards as the Algeria international kept his side level with a good save.

The home side's pressure intensified further with Hilbert shooting over before a long-range effort from Quaresma was cleared by Todor Yanchev.

Cillian Sheridan miscued a rare chance for the visitors high over the crossbar, but most of the action was at the other end as Besiktas laid siege to the away goal in the final 10 minutes.

The pressure finally told in the 90th minute when Quaresma was brought down by Yanchev and Ernst made the decisive touch from Guti's free-kick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...