Bellazon

Guti
Thumbnail

Nicole

Guti: Happier to give a pass

Real Madrid play-maker Guti has revealed that he is perfectly happy to pass the ball rather than to score.

Last weekend, Guti elected to backheel the ball to Karim Benzema even though he was one-on-one with the Deportivo goalkeeper.

"It's amazing how people are talking about it," Guti told Realmadrid.com. "I didn't score a single goal at the Riazor. I always knew what to do. I didn't hesitate. I knew Benzema was coming up behind me. I could see him from the corner of my eye. I did what I thought was the most useful option for the team to score."

Some of his team-mates have told Guti that he was 'crazy' not to take a shot.

"Many of my team-mates said I should have tried to score," admitted the 33-year-old. "[Raul] Albiol said I was crazy. But that's my style. It comes naturally to me. It makes me happier to give a pass like that than to score a goal."

Benzema's goal helped Real claim their first victory at Depor's Riazor in 18 years and Guti is hoping the team can push on and make a charge towards the league title.

"I think this victory will do us a lot of good because it seemed we were cursed at that stadium. The league is far from over and Barcelona don't seem to drop any points. We can't afford to make any mistakes."