Bellazon

Guti
Thumbnail

Nicole

Guti press conference

"It's an advantage to know we will depend on nobody if we carry on winning"

Real Madrid's second captain gave a long press conference in which he talked about the team and pointed out that it must continue working along the same lines in order to win a title.

Do you feel, after winning so many games at important stadiums, that you are the only team capable of 'losing' the League title?

It's still too soon to talk about winning the League because there are many games left. The lead we have isn't sufficiently large for us to say that losing the title would be entirely up to us. We are in good form and strong at home, but Barcelona had the same lead over us last year and we ended up winning the championship.

But there isn't much optimism at Barcelona...

Because they depend on us; winning all the time isn't enough for them. It is an advantage for us to know we will depend on nobody if we carry on winning. There are still many games left.

Does all this talk about the records you are breaking motivate you?

Our motivation is to win titles. There is no greater motivation than that. We don't talk about records, but titles. Both things are great, but I prefer the latter because the former are just figures and a Club as great as Real Madrid lives for winning titles.

How did you feel at the Calderón?

Comfortable, as I did when I wasn't a starter. We played a good game against the complicated rival Atletico are.

You now have to convince Schuster in order to play more...

I hope to continue playing, but it's up to him. I am available for whatever he wants. I have no qualms. We are all here to bring something to the team. The squad is large enough to guarantee victories regardless of who plays.

Is the brightness of his shirt Casillas' secret?

It's actually quite ugly, but he's the one who chose it, so we can't do anything about it... (Laughs). I don't think strikers miss because of his shirt.

Have you thought much about your red card against Murcia?

I think the fact that I'm benched most of the time has nothing to do with that. I was careless and I said so when it happened. Julio played very well and he scored goals. He has to use his chances well in order to continue playing.

Is it good for the team having Schuster give chances to hard workers?

Our squad is very large and we now have several injured players. The truth is anyone can play; no one has a position assured. That gives ground for more competition and better results in games.

How is the atmosphere in the dressing room?

It is very good. There are young players who recently joined the team and want to do things well. That shows on the pitch; it gives us our spark and allows us to win matches.

How's your relationship with Bernd Schuster?

I get along with him well. He was a quality player, so he likes his team to play good football and he makes that clear to us. He has good personal relationships with the players. He doesn't favour anyone in particular, so anyone 100% in form can play. We are grateful for that. The most important thing is to keep winning. The fact that we do must mean we get along with him well.

Has Schuster shown that he doesn't like to lose?

That was obvious when he was a player and it still is today. No-one likes to lose. He is not very expressive and doesn't raise his voice, but he says things when they must be said and always with respect.

What have you learned in the six games in which you haven't been a starter?

This isn't new to me. The only thing I know is that I've always wanted to be a starter again, so I worked hard on a daily basis knowing that other teammates of mine were also doing a terrific job. It's hard to find a spot, but the coach gave me a chance and I hope it continues this way. Not playing always affects a player, but we are professionals. We want to play because we know we can help the team.

Do you captains wonder why there are so many injuries in defence?

You should ask the doctors that because they will know. These are streaks teams go by, and we've had our share in past campaigns. It seems our injuries are mainly being sustained in defence this year, making it hard for the coach to have a regular defensive line-up, but this is one of the reasons behind having a large squad.

No-one is talking much about the forthcoming match against Villarreal because of the victory at the Calderón. Do you fear this may distract the team's attention too?

We know they are a great side that has nothing to do with the team we faced in the first part of the season. They have excellent players, amongst which are some unbalancing strikers capable of scoring at any minute. Our recent matches against them in Madrid were very tight and difficult to win.

Schuster said it wasn't that bad to be eliminated from the King's Cup. Do you think the same?

You have to look at the bright side of a match in whch you are eliminated. No-one liked it, especially after playing so well and having so many chances. We now have more days off and less games to be fresher for our League clashes. Nevertheless, being eliminated was a hard blow to all of us.

Do you think the League will be fought out by Barcelona and Real Madrid?

I think so because both sides have a great point difference over the rest, but there will be times in which neither of us win any games, allowing others to fight hard for the title too.