Bellazon

Jessica Alba

Guest Anonymous

Jessica Alba & The Ultimate Baby Shower

In town to celebrate a local mom, the actress talked Mother's Day, her brand, and new book.

May 10, 2013

content_Jessica-Alba-Casey-Arendt-Ultimate-Baby-Shower.jpg?1368211105

Jessica Alba hosted The Ultimate Baby Shower for Chicagoan Casey Arendt at Land of Nod (900 W. North Ave., 312-475-9903) this week.

This week, Jessica Alba’s The Honest Company—an online source for safe, eco-friendly baby products—teamed up with Land of Nod and Tea Collection to give one local deserving mom the ultimate baby shower. The actress and mother to daughters Honor and Haven was in town for the shower event celebrating Chicagoan Casey Arendt, who is expecting twins in early fall.

Happy Mother’s Day! How are you celebrating?

JESSICA ALBA: I’m going to spend it with my mom and my kids. When the kids are napping, my mom and I will get a mani/pedi, [and] we usually have brunch in the morning.

You started The Honest Company after becoming a mother yourself. What was the motivation to start this company?

JA: I really created [The Honest Company] because I needed this company to exist for myself and for other families. There wasn’t one company out there that I could trust that made high-quality products—that were, obviously, non-toxic—and affordable. [There are] products that tout themselves as being the healthy option or the eco option because there’s a green leaf on [them], or the packaging is brown. I would then find out that what was inside was just as toxic as what is in any conventional product; it’s the packaging that makes it eco-friendly. But I want what’s touching my baby—and what’s touching my own dishes and laundry and everything—to be healthy.

Through The Ultimate Baby Shower contest, The Honest Company gives a deserving mom tons of things she needs for a new baby. What inspired you to do this?

JA: I came up with the idea when I was pregnant. [At a baby shower] you get so many things that are cute, but your kids grow so fast. At the end of the day, you really need diapers and wipes, and household cleaning products! If I would have gotten that as a gift I would have been so grateful. We wanted to throw showers for mothers that are deserving, that inspire us, and it was perfect to do it around Mother’s Day. Any time you can pamper another mom, I think it’s so important. It is a job that never ends, and your kids will never know how much you love them, so it’s nice to be celebrated—that’s the focus of today.

You also have a new book out, The Honest Life. Is its theme similar to the mission of The Honest Company?

JA: Yes, it really just touches on every aspect of one’s life, from putting together a home, to recipes, to shopping for food, to shopping for beauty products, and how to stay organized and fashionable. It’s [about] having a different consciousness when it comes to consuming: invest in pieces that you’re going to have for a long time versus disposable, and look for quality over quantity, and things like that.

How do you find a balance between acting, working with the company, and being a mother on top of it all?

JA: I don’t, really! My kids’ happiness and health is my priority, and as long as they’re good then everything else just sort of falls into place. There’s no perfect formula.

—Elle Eichinger

Photography by Nate Estenson

http://michiganavemag.com/channels/home-page/insights/q-and-a-jessica-alba-ultimate-baby-shower