Bellazon

Cristiano Ronaldo
Thumbnail

persuazn

Ronaldo: I won't stay Real forever

Real Madrid playmaker Cristiano Ronaldo is already plotting his Bernabeu exit.

Ronaldo moved to Madrid for a world-record transfer fee of £80million just last summer.

However, the former Manchester United man admits he will not be spending the rest of his career with the Primera Division giants.

"Football is all about cycles," said Ronaldo. "I believe that you are in teams for cycles.

"If you have already won everything with a team you have to change and that's what happened to me with United.

"I wanted a different football and different goals and I am very happy to have taken this decision. Alex Ferguson understood my decision. I continue to talk to him.

"I spent several years wanting to play in Madrid. But I don't see myself here at 40.

"You are in teams for cycles."

Despite spending over £200million last summer following president Florentino Perez's return, Madrid and Ronaldo face the very real prospect of ending the year trophyless.

Manuel Pellegrini's men are a point behind Barcelona with four games left to play but Ronaldo has reiterated his belief that Madrid will pip the defending champions to the title.

And to that end the Portugal international hopes compatriot Jose Mourinho can do them a favour by defeating Barca in the second leg of their Champions League semi-final, with Inter Milan currently leading 3-1.

"It will be an incredible game," Ronaldo added in an interview to Cadena Cope. "It will be difficult for both of them.

"Barca has to come back and Inter have to defend the two goals.

"It's very difficult to know who I want to win, although I would prefer Barca to lose and be eliminated.

"I am from Real Madrid and I like my club and if Barcelona crash out of Europe it would be something that could affect them in the league and which we could take advantage of.

"It would be a bad year if we don't win the league because a club like this has to always win something every year.

"Not winning this year wouldn't be a failure, but it would be a lost year. But I am confident we can win the league."

Ronaldo: I won't stay Real forever

Real Madrid playmaker Cristiano Ronaldo is already plotting his Bernabeu exit.

Ronaldo moved to Madrid for a world-record transfer fee of £80million just last summer.

However, the former Manchester United man admits he will not be spending the rest of his career with the Primera Division giants.

"Football is all about cycles," said Ronaldo. "I believe that you are in teams for cycles.

"If you have already won everything with a team you have to change and that's what happened to me with United.

"I wanted a different football and different goals and I am very happy to have taken this decision. Alex Ferguson understood my decision. I continue to talk to him.

"I spent several years wanting to play in Madrid. But I don't see myself here at 40.

"You are in teams for cycles."

Despite spending over £200million last summer following president Florentino Perez's return, Madrid and Ronaldo face the very real prospect of ending the year trophyless.

Manuel Pellegrini's men are a point behind Barcelona with four games left to play but Ronaldo has reiterated his belief that Madrid will pip the defending champions to the title.

And to that end the Portugal international hopes compatriot Jose Mourinho can do them a favour by defeating Barca in the second leg of their Champions League semi-final, with Inter Milan currently leading 3-1.

"It will be an incredible game," Ronaldo added in an interview to Cadena Cope. "It will be difficult for both of them.

"Barca has to come back and Inter have to defend the two goals.

"It's very difficult to know who I want to win, although I would prefer Barca to lose and be eliminated.

"I am from Real Madrid and I like my club and if Barcelona crash out of Europe it would be something that could affect them in the league and which we could take advantage of.

"It would be a bad year if we don't win the league because a club like this has to always win something every year.

"Not winning this year wouldn't be a failure, but it would be a lost year. But I am confident we can win the league."

Real: We're lucky to have Ronaldo

Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini hailed match-winner Cristiano Ronaldo after the latter scored a last-minute winner in the 3-2 win over Osasuna.

The win kept Real in the race for the La Liga title. The Chilean coach also described the match as their worst defensive performance of the season.

Madrid, knowing a defeat would all but end their hopes of overtaking leaders Barcelona, twice trailed to Osasuna and also allowed their mid-table opponents a number of other chances in what was a shaky and tense performance by the capital club.

However, Pellegrini's men twice equalised before the break and then snatched all three points when Ronaldo headed in his second of the game in the 89th minute, moving Madrid back to within a point of leaders Barcelona with three games remaining.

That late strike was Ronaldo's 22nd goal in 26 league appearances since joining from Manchester United last summer, and Pellegrini said of the £80million man: "He's a player who makes the difference and we are fortunate he's with us."

Pellegrini also praised his side's fighting spirit, adding: "I think the team is very strong, especially on a psychological level. This is vital in the final stage of the season."

However, the Madrid coach, whose future has been the subject of much speculation recently with Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho being closely linked as a possible summer replacement, was far from happy with his team's defending.

Raul Albiol's early mistake gifted Osasuna a seventh-minute lead, and the visitors created other decent opportunities that could have seen Madrid sunk long before Ronaldo's late winner.

"I think we've had the worst game of the season in defence, we were very weak at the back," he said.

"We suffered a lot. It wasn't an easy game and Osasuna made things very difficult."

Ronaldo felt the whole side was under-par.

"In my opinion all the team were very bad. I'm speaking of those up front, those in the middle and those at the back. We cannot allow Osasuna to have caused us so much danger," he was quoted as saying in Marca.

"We need to remember we are playing for the league and we need to be more focused. It can't happen again, because on another occasion we are not going to be able to bounce back. But we had the fortune of being able to do it today.

"If you lose points at this moment you lose the title. Thank God we managed to score the third goal and win the game.

"We need to continue winning. Barcelona have a great team but the great teams also lose. We need to think that it's possible that they will drop points."

Madrid are next in action on Wednesday when they go to fourth-placed Real Mallorca, while Barca host third-bottom Tenerife on Tuesday night