Bellazon

Cristiano Ronaldo
Thumbnail

persuazn

Let’s talk about the present now. This upcoming month is going to be very important for Real Madrid. How are you and your teammates facing it? You’re one of the heavyweights on the team.

Yes, it’s a very important month for us and for the madridistas – madrileños? – madridistas. I think we have to be positive, confident… because it’s simply football. We have to face it like we do the good situations in life, and allow people to enjoy it. The truth is I’m happy. I think this is the first time that we’ve played so many games against one team, for example, Barça… we have to enjoy it, it’s great, and people are going to like it, and us too. It’s good for football.

It’s impressive how the team played in the quarterfinals (of the CL), with a 4-0 win at home and then a very serious game in England, with a team that played well, but couldn’t match Real Madrid. That also gives you all confidence.

Confidence comes from being in a good moment, from the team being more mature. We’re united for the last stages, which will be an all or nothing situation. That’s the reality. But we’re prepared.

Is Real Madrid, as a team, in its best moment of the season?

We have to be, and we are.

You believe we are?

Yes, as I said, the last stages will go well for us. I feel that the team is feeling good, that it’s very confident, many players are still very fresh, and we’re going to end the season well.

Let’s go game by game. The first one is at home, for the Liga. None of you are giving up the Liga.

(Shakes his head) We have to focus exclusively on Saturday’s game. We have to win. And we’re playing at home, and we have pressure them. If we win, there’s still a chance, we can’t throw the towel to the ground (give up). We have to think only about this game, what will come later will come. This Saturday, we have to concentrate on this game, we’re going to play well and we’re going to win.

The public will be very important, I remember you telling me after the game against Tottenham that the Bernabéu really pushed the team.

They were great, I loved the way the Bernabéu was against Tottenham. I would like to use this opportunity to tell those who will come to the stadium to enjoy themselves, and to support us, even if we’re not playing well. That will give us more confidence, more tranquility and help us to concentrate. I don’t believe anyone likes to play under pressure, but if we’re united, confident, the players and the fans together, it will be much easier. That’s why I ask that the Bernabéu support us and motivate us on Saturday, because everyone – players and fans – will benefit from that.

The next game after the one on Saturday is the final of the Copa del Rey. It’s said that finals aren’t to be played, but to be won.

Yes, it will be great, a final to win. But right now we can only focus on Saturday’s game. After that, the next game, the Copa del Rey final. Then the semifinals of the Champions League. But right now, we have to win on Saturday and pressure Barcelona. If we win that game, it will give us confidence for the Copa del Rey. It can build up like that. In the final, may the best team win.

I ask everyone who passes by here if they imagine themselves celebrating a title in Cibeles. I asked the míster Mourinho about Cibeles, and he said that when he goes by the Paseo de la Castellana, he looks at Cibeles out of the corner of his eye and he imagines his players celebrating a title there, but not himself, because he’s not into that kind of thing. Do you see yourself celebrating a title at Cibeles this season?

The truth is that I never pass by the Plaza de Cibeles. I’ve gone by there very few times. And when I did pass by, I didn’t get a good look, and I get distracted easily too. But I of course want to win. Madrid can’t go two years without winning a title. They can’t. A club as great as this one can’t. I’m convinced that we’re going to win this year and (Cris can’t get the word “convencido” out) and after that, the celebration in Cibeles will be another thing, but it will of course be very important.

You are convinced, and you have a lot of confidence in yourself, but how about your teammates?

I see them as very positive, which I like very much, with music and everything, they’re extroverted… It’s a good sign.

So it’s the ideal attitude for this home stretch.

Yes, I would say so.

I want to tell you something that I appreciate about you, which I suppose many others appreciate as well, which is that you are always very straightforward, that you never allow falseness around you. And that’s something el madridismo values. We’re very content that such as good person like yourself wears the shirt of Real Madrid. Thank you for being here and lots of luck.

Here’s the interview in English that Cristiano did with RMTV. I wonder how often he gets to speak English now? I assume that he and Irina communicate in English, but I also bet that when they are together, the thing they do the least of is talk…

Cristiano, thanks for joining us as part of the Real… series. Real Madrid are flying this season. They’re in the semifinals of the Champions League and in the final of the Copa del Rey. What’s been the key this season?

I think the key’s been the whole team. We’re in a good moment. We’ve changed a lot since last season: we have a new coach, new players and a new mentality. It’s a winner’s mentality, which is what Real Madrid have been looking for. We’re in good shape and playing very well. The team is mature and we know each other better, which is very important. We just enjoy ourselves. I think the key to the team is that we enjoy every game. I think the last stretch of the season will be interesting.

What’s it like to work under Mourinho?

I think he’s been a very important person this season and he is one of the key people at the club because he’s changed the mentality of many players and he’s a coach who’s won many things wherever he’s been: England, Spain, Portugal. His titles speak for themselves; he’s won everywhere. Mr. Mourinho has brought his mentality, power and character to Madrid. It is very good to work with him. I feel very proud to work with him, not just because he’s Portuguese, but because he’s the best coach. We are all happy to work with him.

You’re known for your competitiveness worldwide in football. It seems to have come from a young age. Your friends from Madeira say you used to cry when you lost as a child. Obviously you don’t cry now when you lose, but you can see how much it matters to you.

It is very important to me. I’ve always been a very competitive player. Not just in games; I’m like that even in training. Also at home with my sisters, my mom, my nephews… I always try to compete hard and try to win. I’m like that. I’ve never changed, because I like what I do. I like my life. I’m a happy person. Competitiveness is part of my life, be it in Madeira, in Madrid, in England. I always want to win. I’m always a competitive person. It’s part of me.

You had to grow up very quickly because you joined Sporting at a young very age. You were away from your mother, whom you are very close to as well. Did that make you grow up very quickly?

Definitely yes. You have to grow quickly when you leave your family at a young age. As you can imagine, it wasn’t easy going to Lisbon when I was 12 years old. It was very difficult, maybe the worst time of my life in terms of football. So this is why I grew up very quickly. The conditions I had there without my parents were very different than those when you’re living at home. I grew up very quickly, but it’s part of the life and I really appreciate it because, at this moment in my life, I feel mature and ready for everything. So, thank God, what I went through before helped me to grow.

Your transfer fee when you signed for Real Madrid made headlines all over the world. What was it like to finally be at the club you dreamed of playing for? Are you relishing the challenge of playing for Real Madrid?

This is what I say many times: to play for Real Madrid has always been my dream. The dream has come true, not just for me, but for my parents too. My mother loves Madrid. My dream was to play for Real after Manchester, so I’m really, really happy. I will try to win what I won at Manchester here at Real. I think Madrid have to win every title. We didn’t win anything last year, but I’m really confident this season we’re going to win something. I think I’m at the right club. I feel very happy here and I want to stay many years.

You are a very important member of the squad. Your goal scoring has been phenomenal, even by your standards.

It’s very important and I’m really, really happy with the goals I’ve scored this season. I’ve worked hard for that, but I have to mention my teammates because they’ve helped me a lot to achieve this. I have to carry on. There are 10, 11, 12 games left in the season, so I want to score a few more important goals and to win some titles. I’m on my way and I want to keep these numbers up.

You’ve mentioned your teammates. Lots of people are interested about how you get on with some players in particular. One’s Kaká, who arrived at the same time as you did, and another is Marcelo, whom you’re always seen laughing and joking with. Could you tell us a little about your relationship with those two?

It’s a brilliant relationship. When people speak your language it’s easier to speak with them. Kaká, Marcelo, Pepe… It’s the same with the Spanish players because “I speak kind of well the Spanish, the English…” I have say, I have to tell the truth, the dressing room is fantastic, the atmosphere there is brilliant. So, my relationship with almost every player is brilliant, but I’m more close with the guys who speak Portuguese. I have to say Marcelo is the funniest player at the club. He’s always joking, playing music, dancing, he does all that, he motivates all the players… he’s brilliant. I have to say he’s the most funny player in the dressing room. Adebayor is also very funny. The dressing room is absolutely brilliant.

I’m sure those players know you better than most people. So many people think that they know Cristiano Ronaldo. Who really does know you?

The people who live with me, the people who work with me, the people who’ve been with me every day… These are the people who really know me. People can say whatever they want when they don’t know you and you have to respect their opinion. I don’t care about it because it’s part of the life. I don’t read papers and magazines. I don’t care what people say about me. The most important people to me are my family, my friends, and the people I work with, so for me this is the most important.

Thank you so much for your time.

Thank you.

Real Madrid 4-0 Getafe

Real Madrid delayed Barcelona's title celebrations at least by 24 hours after they thumped struggling neighbours Getafe.

A Cristiano Ronaldo hat-trick helped Jose Mourinho's men prevent Barca from being crowned Spanish champions for the third successive season.

The world's most expensive player, who scored four times in Saturday's 6-2 win at Sevilla, netted in the 24th, 58th and 90th minutes to take his tally to the season to 36 - two short of equalling the league record.

Karim Benzema also got on the scoresheet seconds after coming on as a substitute as Madrid closed the gap on leaders Barca to five points.

However, with only two games left in the season for Madrid they are know it is Barca's title to lose, and Pep Guardiola's men can clinch the championship with a point against Levante on Wednesday night.

For Getafe, the defeat leaves them still in deep relegation trouble near the foot of the table.

After a slow start, Madrid took the lead in the 26th minute through that man Ronaldo.

Mesut Ozil curled in a superb cross with the outside of his left foot and Ronaldo climbed between Getafe defenders Cata Diaz and Miguel Torres to power a downward header past Oscar Ustari.

That proved to be the only goal of the first half, although Madrid survived a scare right on the stroke of half-time when Adrian Colunga saw his goal-bound header blocked by Madrid defender Alvaro Arbeloa.

Ronaldo, who started the day two goals clear of Barcelona's Lionel Messi at the top of the scoring charts, looked keen to increase his tally at the start of the second half with two efforts on goal.

And he did make it 2-0 in the 57th minute after again being set up by Ozil.

Ustari just beat Gonzalo Higuain to a through-pass, but the loose ball fell to Ozil, who rolled the ball inside to Ronaldo, who took his time before coolly slotting into a gaping net.

Getafe had the chance to pull a goal back on the hour but the unmarked Javi Casquero completely fluffed his shot from the edge of the area.

Madrid then added a third in the 77th minute when Benzema, having just seconds earlier replaced Higuain, latched onto a Xabi Alonso pass before slamming his second touch of the ball into the roof of the net.

The hosts had chances to increase their lead in the closing stages but hat-trick hunting Ronaldo saw an effort tipped behind by Ustari, who also produced a brilliant save to deny Alonso.

Ronaldo would be celebrating his treble by the end however after the referee adjudged Mane to have fouled the Portugal international in the box.

It looked a harsh decision but Ronaldo took advantage by slotting the resulting penalty down the centre of the goal to complete a one-side win - although one that is ultimately unlikely to prevent Barca from winning the title.

Cristiano gives shirt to fan accidentally hit by ball

The Portuguese player sent the ball to the stands in the first half and apologised after the match was over

A fan was accidentally hit by the ball in the first half of the match against Getafe when Cristiano Ronaldo cleared it. After the game was over, the Portuguese player apologised personally and gave him his autrographed shirt. "I didn't mean to hit him," he said later, "I just wanted to clear the ball. I wish to apologise."

satelliteblobcolurldatad.th.jpgsatelliteblobcolurldatak.th.jpgsatelliteblobcolurldatam.th.jpgsatelliteblobcolurldata.th.jpgsatelliteblobcolurldata.th.jpg

The legendary Real Madrid former player, Hugo Sanchez, assumed that if Cristiano Ronaldo beats his goalscoring record in the Spanish League this season, he would happy with it. What Hugo Sanchez wouldn't like to see is the record falling to the hands of Barcelona's player, Lionel Messi. CR7 is only one goal away from equalising Hugo Sanchez and Zarra's 38 goal record in a single Spanish League season.

Someone said in the past that records are made to be beaten. It seems like Cristiano Ronaldo took that statement very seriously and is very close to beat one of the most outstanding Real Madrid and La Liga's historic records. CR7 scored 37 goals in the Spanish League so far and is only 1 goal away from equalising Hugo Sanchez and Zarra's 38 goal record. Ferenc Puskas record of 49 goals in a season, got beaten earlier this week, when Cristiano Ronaldo completed another hat-trick and scored his 50th goal in the 2010-2011 season.

Hugo Sanchez: "I'm not worried that someone beats my record. I've always said it, and I keep saying it, that records are made to be beaten. Everyone knows what I did in my career and I've got other records that are still up.", said Real Madrid's former player, when asked to comment about the possibility of Cristiano Ronaldo becoming La Liga's all-time goalscorer.

Hugo Sanchez said that he's happy that his record is on the verge of being surpassed by another Real Madrid player, such as CR7: "If my goals record has to be broken, then I can only wish that it will be made by a Real Madrid player, which is the case with Cristiano Ronaldo. What I wouldn't like to see happening is Lionel Messi breaking the record. The fact that Cristiano Ronaldo is attempting to beat this record, just gives it more value."