Bellazon

Robin Wright
Thumbnail

CarMELita

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Naomi Watts and Robin Wright film a wedding scene for their film "The Grandmothers" at a tiny, quaint chapel along the north coast.

gallery_enlarged-120315H14_1_WRIGHT_B-GR_01.jpg th_a36838187216283.jpg/monthly_04_2012/post-43368-0-1593850189-1691_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="gallery_enlarged-120315H14_WATTS_B-GR_04.jpg">

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Wright

post-43368-0-1446080431-08575_thumb.jpg post-43368-0-1446080431-15805_thumb.jpg

The actress, mom and supporting star of this month’s much-anticipated thriller, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, has come full circle — and she’s loving it.

Robin Wright likes to play dress-up. At least that’s what she’s telling me while we’re sitting together in her Santa Monica, Calif., bedroom discussing her favorite movie roles. For about the fourth time in two days, our plans to meet (most recently at the Marmalade Cafe, a tiny eatery and catering shop along the city’s upscale Montana Avenue) had been postponed, altered or thwarted until at last I found myself ascending the steep driveway toward her house, a two-story Spanish-style dwelling on a twisty residential canyon road. Her assistant, Nini, and a Chihuahua mix named Violet (who belongs to a friend) greet me at the door, and moments later I’m upstairs in Wright’s airy sleeping quarters — just her, me and the humming and buzzing of nearby construction.

“Hi,” says Wright, walking out from what looks to be a walk-in closet and shaking my hand warmly. “Thanks so much for meeting me here.”

“Hi,” says Wright, walking out from what looks to be a walk-in closet and shaking my hand warmly. “Thanks so much for meeting me here.”

I immediately notice that the long blond locks I’d been expecting are now cropped closely to her neck, her brow-length bangs held back with a bobby pin. She’s wearing stretchy blue leggings, a pair of New Balance sneakers and a faded, oversize red hoodie (“I put this on [this] morning because I’ve been planning on going running all day,” she later says), which only accentuates her tiny frame. And her face is completely makeup-free, refreshing in a town where natural is typically a description associated only with health bars.

“Can I get you something to drink?” she asks. “Water?”

I nod yes and she’s off down the stairs, returning a few seconds later with a filled pitcher and two drinking glasses.

Whatever I’d been expecting before arriving at Wright’s home — a slew of bodyguards, maybe, or a bustling room filled with an ­ever-changing rotation of stylists and friends — it definitely wasn’t that I’d be spending the next hour sitting beside one of Hollywood’s most talented actresses, having a casual and private conversation in such a laid-back setting. Through the years, the 45-year-old beauty has shared the screen with so many of film’s most incredible leading men (and women) that the list reads something like a celebrity-awards-show seating chart: Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Morgan Freeman, Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, the late Paul Newman, Russell Crowe, John Travolta, Winona ­Ryder and her ex-husband Sean Penn, to name a few. Yet, as far as leading actresses go, she slips under many audiences’ radars. But that’s about to change. Along with having played the lead role of Mary Surratt in last year’s Robert Redford–directed historical drama, The Conspirator, Wright can be seen in the upcoming crime drama Rampart; she played Brad Pitt’s ex in Moneyball; and, this month, she stars as feisty editor Erika Berger in the eagerly awaited The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the first film in a trilogy based on Swedish author Stieg ­Larsson’s Millenium series. The movie centers on ­Lisbeth Salander, an eccentric and emotionally damaged computer hacker who helps disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist solve a cold case and restore his reputation. Since the first book was published in 2005, the late author’s Millenium novels have sold more than 27 million copies worldwide, and the film — a career boost for Wright, who stars as the friend and occasional lover of Blomkvist, played by Daniel Craig — is one of the year’s most anticipated releases. In a word, Robin Wright is hot.

“I’m so sorry for all the running around earlier,” says Wright, settling into a red plush chair across from the small table where I’m sitting. “My entire family is in town, and logistically, it’s been ­challenging, to say the least.” (This explains all the last-minute scheduling changes and elusive emails I received from Nini, saying things like, “We will not know a location until tomorrow morning … stay tuned.” I had begun to think it was some sort of paparazzi-evasion tactic.) Most of Wright’s extended family is in Texas, and, if there’s anything I’ve learned through my research on Wright, it’s that family comes first.

“[All] week I’ve been blowing off the stuff I should do because my daughter, Dylan’s, in town from New York,” she says, “and my son, Hopper, just graduated from high school yesterday.” Wright’s blue eyes light up as she says this, and a wide smile spreads across her face, leaving her beaming. Dylan Frances, 20, and Hopper Jack, 18, are Wright’s only two children, both the offspring of her nearly 20-year relationship with Penn. The two were married for well over a decade before finally calling it quits in August 2009. Now, she says, they are totally amicable.

“I’m so sorry for all the running around earlier,” says Wright, settling into a red plush chair across from the small table where I’m sitting. “My entire family is in town, and logistically, it’s been ­challenging, to say the least.” (This explains all the last-minute scheduling changes and elusive emails I received from Nini, saying things like, “We will not know a location until tomorrow morning … stay tuned.” I had begun to think it was some sort of paparazzi-evasion tactic.) Most of Wright’s extended family is in Texas, and, if there’s anything I’ve learned through my research on Wright, it’s that family comes first.

“[All] week I’ve been blowing off the stuff I should do because my daughter, Dylan’s, in town from New York,” she says, “and my son, Hopper, just graduated from high school yesterday.” Wright’s blue eyes light up as she says this, and a wide smile spreads across her face, leaving her beaming. Dylan Frances, 20, and Hopper Jack, 18, are Wright’s only two children, both the offspring of her nearly 20-year relationship with Penn. The two were married for well over a decade before finally calling it quits in August 2009. Now, she says, they are totally amicable.

As we sit talking, the high-pitched zzzing of an electric saw provides a constant, albeit soft, soundtrack. “It’s so noisy here for being such a peaceful community,” says Wright, getting up from her chair and walking over to a small bedside window, where the additional clatter of hammers and backhoes is drifting in. She glances outside and shakes her head. “Go to lunch, you guys,” she says, and then comes back and curls up where she had previously been, one leg tucked beneath her body. She pours herself more water. “Those saws are driving me crazy.”

In the early 1990s, Wright landed what’s probably her best-known role: that of the emotionally damaged Jenny Curran in the Academy Award–winning Best Picture ­Forrest Gump. Seriously, mention the actress by name to some people and their faces go blank. Say Jenny from Forrest Gump and those same moviegoers will start proclaiming their love for her. With Forrest Gump’s critical and commercial success, Wright’s career catapulted to a whole new level of stardom. But rather than follow that path onward, the actress opted instead for a much less Hollywood-traditional route.

“I think it was a combination of finding the paparazzi hiding out in a bush in front of our house,” says Wright, who at this point had already been with Penn for the better part of a decade, “and that I was carjacked with the kids here in Santa Monica. I was so freaked out, and instead of processing the trauma, I packed up the house and we moved to the San Francisco area.” From 1996 until 2009, the couple raised their kids nearly 400 miles north of L.A., in the unincorporated town of Ross, Calif., population 2,415, just across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco in Marin County. “Marin is beautiful, and just so sane,” she says, and then laughs. “You know, compared to here.”

During this time, Wright continued making films — averaging one or two per year — including such notables as Unbreakable with Bruce Willis, How to Kill Your ­Neighbor’s Dog opposite Kenneth Branagh and ­Message in a Bottle with Kevin Costner, but her path was incongruent with that of a celebrity about whom Jodie Foster once stated, “if she’d wanted to, she could’ve been the best actress of her generation.” Still, Wright maintained a steady career highlighted by numerous artistic roles, all the while holding together a family in the San Francisco suburbs.

When I ask Wright how she was able to balance all of it, she tilts her head thoughtfully and says, “I don’t know how to answer that. It’s a tough question, because I look back and go: Well, it happened. Maybe I didn’t work that much? I get burned out when I see people doing too many movies and too many magazine covers, so maybe it’s a benefit.” She pauses for a moment, then continues in a tone that’s more centered and reassured. “Yes, it is a benefit to not work so much. I’m not disheartened by the way it went. It happened the way it was supposed to happen. I got to be with the kids, and now it’s good and busy. And fun.”

“Do you miss the Bay Area?” I ask.

“Not. At. All.” She shakes her head from side to side. “Been there, done that. You know?”

As the hour progresses, there’s one thought that continuously strikes me: Robin­ Wright is just really … real. She speaks purposefully, at times emphasizing specific words or pounding on one hand with the other to make a point. She’s wearing workout clothes and hanging out with me in her bedroom as though I were a friend who stopped in to say hi. And she simply radiates passion while discussing her kids, her projects and what she has lined up in the coming months.

After returning to Santa Monica­ in 2009 (she now lives only a few blocks away from where she first moved after high school), Wright embarked on a new phase of both her life and career. She hired her first-ever manager, Michael Sugar, who has helped her land such challenging roles as Erika Berger, a character who’s both strong and driven and that Sugar knew was perfect for Wright. “He went to [the film’s director] David Fincher and said, ‘Hey, would you ever think about Robin for the role?’ Once he told me I was going in to meet with Fincher, who’s the best, I sat down and watched the Swedish versions of the movies and read the books,” she says.

Wright claims that her favorite roles are ones in which she gets to play someone entirely unlike herself, like Maureen Murphy Quinn, the unstable love interest of both John Travolta and Sean Penn in the 1997 drama She’s So Lovely; or Starr, a former stripper, recovering addict and born-again Christian in 2002’s female-driven White Oleander. “Picking a role for me is gut-first,” she says, standing up briefly to close the nearby balcony door. “Do I feel something? Am I responding to it? It’s so much more enriching than when people say, ‘Oh, you’re perfect for this role because you play the tortured, quiet, introverted soulful mother well.’ Great,” she says, rolling her eyes slightly. “I can’t wait to play that again.”

Both on-screen and off, though, it’s the emotional risk-taking that seems to attract her most. She tells me that son Hopper is leaving in a few days for Haiti, where he’s going to be working for his dad’s organization, J/P HRO, which dedicates its efforts to helping save lives and build better futures for the Haitian people. With her son’s transition (“He graduated high school!” she whispers again), that leaves Wright open to embark on her own human rights mission: helping to spread the word about, document and assist female victims of rape and mutilation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. One of her first stops? Europe, to speak on a panel as part of the Enough Project, which aims to end genocide and crimes against humanity in Sudan, Congo and other parts of Africa. While there, she also hopes to make connections with veterans, doctors and documentarians that may lead to producing her own documentary exposing the African country’s ongoing horrors against women. This desire to immerse herself in cultural aid has always been a part of her. In a 2006 interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, Wright said that she never meant to be an actress — she instead dreamed of being an aid worker for a humanitarian organization. After being a mom for 20 years, now’s her chance.

“Hopper’s leaving, and I don’t have anything planned at the moment until next year — I’ve got at least three months to go and explore. I don’t have to be back by Tuesday,” she muses. Then, smiling, she looks at me and says, “It’s like I just graduated college and am like, ‘OK. Now what are you going to do?’

http://www.americanw...e-dragon-tattoo

• 2 months later...

Robin Wright for 'Wanted Man'

post-43368-0-1446080432-22275_thumb.jpg

Robin Wright is in talks to star in a feature adaptation of the John le Carre tome "A Most Wanted Man."

"The American" helmer Anton Corbijn is directing from a script by Andrew Bovell. Original story revolved around a Chechnian Muslim who illegally immigrates to Hamburg, Germany, where he gets caught up in the international war on terror.

Andrea Calderwood, Simon Cornwell, Stephen Cornwell, Gail Egan and Malte Grunert will produce through Amusement Park Films, Demarest Films, Film4, the Ink Factory and Potboiler Prods.

Le Carre novels have been hot properties for Hollywood in recent years. Besides its 2011 film "Tinker Tailor Solder Spy," starring Gary Oldman, Focus Features also saw nice results from 2005's "The Constant Gardener," which received a supporting actress Oscar for Rachel Weisz and three other nominations.

The CAA-repped Wright was most recently seen in Sony's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Robin Wright's Netflix Series HOUSE OF CARDS Available Feb. 1, 2013

The Netflix original series, from Media Rights Capital, HOUSE OF CARDS, starring Academy Award ® winner Kevin Spacey (Horrible Bosses, American Beauty), Golden Globe ® nominee Robin Wright (who is also a three-time Daytime Emmy Awards nominee for her work in SANTA BARBARA) and Kate Mara (AMERICAN HORROR STORY) will be available for members to watch instantly beginning February 1, 2013 .

All 13-episodes of the drama series's first season will be available to Netflix members in territories where Netflix is available - North America, the UK, Ireland, Latin America and Scandinavia.

"HOUSE OF CARDS combines the best of filmmaking with the best of television. Beau Willimon's compelling narrative, David Fincher's unparalleled craftsmanship, indelible performances by Kevin Spacey and the rest of the cast unite to create a gripping story and new kind of viewing experience for Netflix members," said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer, Netflix. "In offering the entire season at once, Netflix is giving viewers complete control over how and when they watch the show."

From director David Fincher (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network), award-winning playwright and Academy Award® nominated screenwriter Beau Willimon ("Farragut North," "The Ides of March") and Academy Award® winner Eric Roth (Forrest Gump, Munich), HOUSE OF CARDS is based on the BBC miniseries of the same name. This wicked political drama slithers beneath the curtain and through the back halls of greed, sex, love and corruption in modern Washington D.C.

An uncompromising exploration of power, ambition and the American way, the series orbits Francis Underwood (Spacey), the House Majority Whip. Underwood is the politician's politician – masterful, beguiling, charismatic and ruthless. He and his equally ambitious wife Claire (Wright) stop at nothing to ensure their ascendancy. In addition to Spacey, Wright and Mara, the series also stars Corey Stoll, Kristen Connolly, Michael Kelly and Sakina Jaffrey.

Fincher directed the first two episodes of the series, which were written by Willimon. James Foley, Joel Schumacher, Charles McDougall (THE GOOD WIFE), Carl Franklin and Alan Coulter (THE SOPRANOS) also serve as directors on "House of Cards."

The drama's second season is due to begin production in spring 2013.

HOUSE OF CARDS is executive produced by Fincher, Willimon, Joshua Donen, Eric Roth, Kevin Spacey, Dana Brunetti, Andrew Davies, Michael Dobbs and John Melfi. The one-hour drama is produced by Donen/Fincher/Roth and Trigger Street Productions, Inc. in association with Media Rights Capital for Netflix.

and Poster

post-43368-0-1446080453-76173_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello all - i was so hopeful that one of you had already posted the original photo that i used to draw this image of robin. but i've been through all the pages in this forum and didn't find it. does anyone know/have the original to this image??? i think it was from tatler magazine. but i honestly don't remember.

any help would be so appreciated! thanks in advance!

3630039206_f3b9b6a498_o.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...