Bellazon

Iker Casillas
Thumbnail

Rani_7

"We have fun again and we are excited about winning titles"

Iker Casillas was a guest on Spanish radio station Cadena Ser's programme El Larguero, where he talked about the current situation at the Club.

How are you feeling?

I'm feeling well and focused on the sporting aspects of the Club, which is the only thing that interests me. Despite having been criticised during the past few weeks, we are in good form. The Club is now stable from a sports point of view.

Do you think this edition of the League showcases poorer football quality?

I don't know. What I do know is that teams have better squads and are better prepared each year. I think they all give more solid performances each season. I think everyone in general has grown tired of showing off and they focus on a strong physical game more than in putting on a show.

That style suits Capello just fine.

We are more concerned about being at the top of the table than anything else. I can assure you that that's more important for us than playing well.

The team has changed in the last few games.

This has been a strange season for us so far. We have players that won't be with us next season and we have been reinforced with young footballers that are very excited about playing. Real Madrid is above any player and the coaching staff make decisions that they think will benefit the team and the Club.

People talk less about you this season.

That's a good thing. It's better for me to go unnoticed. I have focused on training and playing well.

How did last week's meeting with the President go?

He said he was sorry for what he said and we had no problem accepting his apology. I don't have a problem with what he said on a personal level. We must only focus on what concerns the sporting side of the Club. All these things don't really affect us. All we want to do is put an end to our lack of titles once and for all.

The Champions League Last 16 round is close at hand.

I think it's still a long way away. I haven't even thought about Bayern Munich yet. I think the League looks very exciting right now. It will be complicated to win it because it seems many teams will be fighting for the title.

Are you surprised with the crisis Barcelona are currently going through?

Yes, I am. We actually benefit from it.

Are you happy?

Yes, I am. I feel very privileged. Me and my teammates have fun playing again. We have regained the excitement of winning titles. I am more excited now with winning a title than I was at the start of the season.

1 – VILLARREAL: Viera, Josemi, Cygan, Fuentes, Jose Enrique; Senna, Josico, Marcos, Cani (Tacchinardi 86’); Matías Fernández (Guille Franco 75’) and Forlán (Tomasson 82’).

0 – REAL MADRID Casillas; Sergio Ramos, Helguera, Cannavaro, Torres; Reyes (De la Red 65´), Diarra, Gago (Nieto 80’), Robinho; Higuaín and Van Nistelrooy.

GOALS:

1-0, 67': Marcos crosses a ball into the back of Casillas' goal.

REFEREE: Clos Gómez. Booked Ramos (34´), Cai (82’) and Senna (92’).

HIGHLIGHTS: Matchday 20 of the Spanish League. Venue: El Madrigal. Attendance: 23,000.