Bellazon

Iker Casillas
Thumbnail

Rani_7

Raúl Will Go To Euro 2008 On This Form - Casillas

Iker Casillas believes that if Raúl continues to score goals for Real Madrid then he could force his way back into the Spain squad for the European Championships next year.

The 26-year-old goalkeeper was impressed after los Merengues' captain scored twice in the team's victory over Racing Santander and tipped him for an international comeback.

"If he continues like this Luis Aragonés will take him to the European Championships," Casillas said.

"We have so many good players at the top level that it is difficult to select one. The coach knows the balue of them all though and I am convinced that if he is playing like this he will go.

"He has been a fundamental player for the national team and wants to return."

Casillas was making his 400th appearance for Madrid in the Racing game and he admits that he has been through so much since making his debut as a teenager.

"I look back over it with nostalgia and with pride. It is not easy to play for eight years with Real Madrid, where I have enjoyed good times and bad," he continued.

"If I think back to when I was 18 and where I am now it seems crazy."

Finally, Casillas reflected on the gruelling schedule at Madrid and is already looking forward the festive break later this month.

"In the last three months we have not stopped and that makes things hard. Every week there is the league, Champions League, international games," he explained.

"We are not machines and it can affect you. Spending all day in hotels can affect your morale. But you have to enjoy this profession and relax at Christmas."

CASILLAS BACKS RAUL RECALL

Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas is convinced club-mate Raul will earn himself a recall to the Spain squad for next summer's European Championships if he keeps up his blistering early-season form.

Raul has played more than 100 games for his country and his tally of 44 international goals is a Spanish record, but he has found himself out of favour with coach Luis Aragones for most of the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

However, a brace of goals for Real during Saturday's 3-1 home win over Racing Santander took Raul's tally to eight league strikes already this season, making the 30-year-old the joint-leading scorer in La Liga and, according to Casillas, a good bet to return to the Spain set-up.

"If Raul continues in this form the selectors will take him to the European Championships. He deserves it," said Casillas, the Spain number one.

"We have so many players of a good level it is difficult to pick out one. The coach (Aragones) knows how to evaluate each players' performance and I am convinced that if Raul carries on like he is he will go to the European Championships.

"He has been a major asset for the national team and he is hoping to return," Casillas added on his club's website.

Athletic Club vs. Real Madrid

Goalkeepers: Casillas and Dudek.

Defenders: Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Pepe, Marcelo, Torres, Drenthe.

Midfielders: Diarra, Guti, Gago, Robben, Sneijder, Baptista, and Robinho.

Forwards: Raúl, Van Nistelrooy, and Saviola.

Athletic de Bilbao 0: Aranzubia, Ustaritz (Pablo Orbaiz, 40’), Aitor Ocio, Amorrebieta, Koikili, David Lopez, Iraola, Javi Martinez (Aduriz, 60’), Fran Yeste, Llorente, Etxeberría (Gabilondo, 63’).

Real Madrid 1: Casillas, Ramos, Cannavaro, Pepe, Torres, Diarra, Sneijder (Gago, 74’), Baptista, Robinho (Robben, 85’), Raul, Van Nistelrooy (Guti, 78’).

Goal:

0-1, (Min. 54’). Van Nistelrooy

Casillas & Van Nistelrooy

"We deserved to win"

Van Nistelrooy once again proved to have an incredible goal-scoring instinct and decided the game with an impressive goal from outside the box. Iker Casillas saved the day for his team on a couple of occasions.

Iker Casillas

"We played quite a serious game. This is a stadium in which teams always suffer, especially in set pieces. We suffered, but we donned our working kit and I believe we deserve a ten out of ten for our efforts. I think this victory is positive, but not definitive. We are happy and morale is high."

"We have to focus on the fixture against Lazio now, which is also extremely important. It's been many years since we've made it to the Last 16 in the Champions League as group leaders and we hope to achieve this against Lazio."

Van Nistelrooy

"I scored a good goal from a long distance for what I'm used to. The ball had a strange direction, but it was perfect for me. I had some problems on a calf muscle at the end of the game, but I will definitely be fine on Tuesday. It is always very hard to win at this stadium. There is a lot of pressure and games here are always very complicated physically speaking, but we had chances nevertheless and defended very well. I think a 1-0 victory is a good result."

"Athletic are a very straightforward side and the crowd puts a lot of pressure on their opponents. We had less problems last season, but we did a good job tonight and won. We now have to focus on the match against Lazio because much is at risk for us in the Champions League, which is one of our biggest goals for the season."