Bellazon

Iker Casillas
Thumbnail

Rani_7

Casillas anticipates big changes

Iker Casillas believes there will be 'big changes' at Real Madrid if the side fail to win La Liga this year, and hinted that it could cost coach Fabio Capello his job.

Real have failed to convince at times this year and were knocked out of the UEFA Champions League at the first knock-out stage by Bayern Munich, but they are still in contention for the league, with the side just two points off leaders Barcelona.

However, there has been intense discussion in the Spanish media that Capello could be replaced if they fail, and Spain keeper Casillas knows all about the weight of expectation at the Bernabeu.

"Media and fans speculate every day," he said in an interview with MF Dnes. "But if we don't win it, there will be changes - big changes. That is clear."

Real have failed to win a trophy for four years now, and Casillas admits it is a source of frustration.

"We try to fight hard and are not far from the title, but the team has been undergoing constant changes. Coaches have been changed; fans have been impatient.

"That we don't have any trophies is a big problem for Real Madrid. It is a club of champions - the biggest club in the world."

Vicente Del Bosque was the last man to lead Real to silverware in 2003, and Casillas laments his departure.

"We have never reached the same level and everything has become more complicated. Del Bosque was honest, fair and he helped me personally a lot.

"He believed in my abilities. I miss him."

Casillas believes that, despite the failure of the 'Galacticos' in recent years, the club will continue to pursue the biggest stars.

"Real will always buy the most famous players as the club needs that for advertising and for quality.

"At the same time, though, it is necessary to have a mixture with home-grown starlets. I think we are on the right course now. Real need stability and balance."

And he believes Real target Cristiano Ronaldo would be an excellent signing.

"He would be a great addition to the team. He loves football - with his skills, he is different to the average.

"He can become the best player in the world."

Well, it seems from what I've read they had a firey relarionship. They are both very strong-minded people, and they just clashed a lot. And Iker acted as if he was still a single guy during their realtionship, he'd go out partying with friends and be surrounded by girls all the time.

And it seems his taken a liking to a waitress he met somewhere and that's what ended the relationship for good. I think they are a good and cute couple too. Their young maybe they'll work something out later on. :angel:

Casillas hails perfect Cech

Real Madrid keeper Iker Casillas has revealed his admiration for Petr Cech, describing the Chelsea shotstopper as 'perfect'. Casillas first came up against Cech in the UEFA Champions League six years ago and says he realised he was a special talent instantly.

"I could not overlook him," he said in an interview with MF Dnes. "He was already absolutely focused at that time."

The Spain international believes he is heading down the same route as Cech, but admits the Chelsea man is constantly improving.

"We are following a similar course, but Cech now has more trophies than me. I don't know him personally, but he looks serious, concentrated, professional and cool. He has great reflexes and he generally gets better and better with every year. I like his style of goalkeeping. He is perfect - one of the best goalkeepers in the world. And he looks nice in the helmet he plays with now."

Casillas saw footage of the incident that left Cech with a fractured skull, and believes keepers should be given more protection.

"It was very dangerous. Goalkeepers are not protected enough from various tackles."

He revealed he has the most respect for the keepers who have stayed at the top of their game for extended periods, and aims to rank himself among the game's greats.

"(I admire) those who are on top on a long-term basis. It is extremely difficult to stay at the top level. (Gianluigi) Buffon, (Oliver) Kahn, Cech and (Edwin) Van der Sar - hopefully I can put myself among the best ones."

And he believes he can achieve everything he wants at the Bernabeu.

"I have a lot of motivation. Without it, I will be written off. At that moment, I will end my career, and I believe I will end it at Real."

He is refusing to completely rule out a move away, however.

"Who knows what will happen next? In football, you can never say never. If so, I would try to play in the USA for the last half year. Not because of money, but because of English and of having a new experience. But, as you know, Madrid is my city. If I stay at Real for the rest of my life, I will be happy."