Bellazon

Edward Speleers
Thumbnail

Stefani20

• 3 months later...

With filming of Downton Abbey series four well underway, Ed Speleers - dishy footman Jimmy- reveals

how taking his collie on set incurred the wrath of Carson

By Lisa Sewards

post-20251-0-1446022927-82777_thumb.jpg

Downstairs at Downton Abbey, where they’re filming the eagerly anticipated fourth series, it seems it’s a dog’s life.

Frank, a bouncy young Border collie, has been causing mayhem behind the scenes for his master, Ed Speleers, who plays dishy footman Jimmy Kent, and is in trouble with butler Mr Carson for chewing Lord Grantham’s carpets. 

But he can do no wrong in the eyes of Mrs Patmore the cook, played by Lesley Nicol, whose own dogs – a Tibetan terrier and a rescue miniature poodle – have been very well-behaved when they’ve visited the set.

Luckily, the pets get on well with the on-screen canine star, the Earl of Grantham’s Labrador Isis. And perhaps if Frank settles down and shows he can take direction, he could be in line for a scene himself. ‘We’re filming until August,’ says Ed, ‘so I’m hoping writer Julian Fellowes will find a way of casting him.’

Frank, who’s seven months old, behaved brilliantly the first day Ed took him to work, but on the second day he chewed up the carpets in the dressing room trailer used by Hugh Bonneville, who plays the Earl. 

‘He had bits of carpet dangling out of his mouth and I said, “Frank, you’ve ruined my career. Hugh plays my boss, so you’ve blown it for me.” Frank just sat there and licked his lips while I scrubbed away the mud he’d spread around and pushed the sofa into a position that would hide the damage. Now everyone’s sending me up because I was acting like a real footman.’

Luckily, Hugh wasn’t there that day but Jim Carter, who plays butler Mr Carson, was. ‘He made a very Carson-esque noise of disapproval and said, “Mmm, did I see your dog running around?”’ laughs Ed. 

‘But Lesley Nicol loves Frank. She’s taken her own dogs on set and has been very supportive of him coming along too.  She definitely prefers dogs to humans.’

Between scenes, Frank also helped his master train for the London Marathon, which Ed is running tomorrow in aid of Pets As Therapy, a charity that arranges volunteers to take their  own dogs and cats to visit people in hospitals, hospices and care homes. 

Ed says, ‘Before I got him everyone told me, “Don’t get a dog, you’re only 24 and it’s such a responsibility.” But I’ve grown up with dogs and I’m soppy about them. Frank sleeps on my bed and comes everywhere with me. He’s the only one who listens to me!’

When Jimmy arrived at Downton along with sexy kitchen maid Ivy last year, it turned the scullery into a hotbed of passion. His fellow footman Alfred fancies Ivy but she has the hots for Jimmy.

So too does gay valet Thomas, played by Rob James-Collier. ‘It’s a big room where we film the downstairs scenes at Ealing Studios but it’s like a cauldron and gets hot and claustrophobic, which adds to the atmosphere,’ says Ed, now 25. 

Things got particularly steamy when Rob’s character had to kiss Ed’s. ‘Before we filmed it, Rob was joking, “I can’t wait to kiss you.” But when it came to filming, he was serious and straight down to business.’

Otherwise, it seems Rob and Ed are enjoying high jinks on set. ‘We were filming at Highclere and Rob thought it would be fun to fall over. I couldn’t stop laughing because I thought it was priceless.

Then Jim said in his Carson voice, “We don’t do that at Highclere, Rob.”’ Ed also did a bit of falling over – unintentionally. ‘I had to walk down the corridor with a tray of crockery and I tripped – everything smashed to smithereens. 

'I had the humiliation of the props guy glueing the crockery on the trays to stop it happening again.’ No wonder Dame Maggie Smith, who plays the Dowager Countess of Grantham, has a twinkle in her eye for Ed. ‘I must look mischievous because she always smirks at me.’

Ed’s keeping his cards close to his chest about what we can expect in the new series this autumn but says, ‘Jimmy has great ambition but he can be snide so there’s still so much to be explored with the character. Who knows which way he’ll turn?’

He’ll have plenty of time to ponder Jimmy’s fate as he slogs around the marathon course tomorrow. ‘Allen Leech, who plays Branson, is running as well so we’ve got the cast rooting for us, especially Hugh, who’s been very supportive in helping raise money for Pets As Therapy.’ 

And as for Frank, despite his carpet disgrace, he’s still allowed on the Downton set. ‘I wouldn’t be without him – he’s my best friend and my therapy,’ insists Ed. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk