Bellazon

Alessandro Nesta
Thumbnail

daniela

REGGINA-MILAN

KEEPERS: Fiori, Kalac, Storari;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Favalli, Grimi, Jankulovski, Kaladze, Nesta, Oddo, Serginho, Simic;

MIDFIELDERS: Brocchi, Gattuso, Pirlo;

STRIKERS: Borriello, Gilardino, Inzaghi, Ronaldo.

Nesta unlikely to return for Italy

FLORENCE, Italy (AP) - It appears Alessandro Nesta will not play for Italy again.

The defender is sitting out upcoming European Championship qualifiers because he is getting married, but coach Roberto Donadoni indicated Tuesday that Nesta has no plans to return.

"I'm trying to be optimistic although to tell the truth, it seems like he's made a definitive choice," Donadoni said.

Nesta hasn't played for Italy since injuring his right thigh in the third game of Italy's World Cup run last year. He underwent shoulder surgery on Dec. 4 and returned to help AC Milan win the Champions League last week.

"Everyone has to make their choices," Donadoni said. "Nesta is a great soccer player and I'm always available for him."

Playmaker Francesco Totti also hasn't played for Italy since the World Cup, and likely won't return until next season, after he has a metal support rod removed from his surgically repaired left ankle.

Totti played this entire season for AS Roma with the rod inside his leg and led Serie A with 26 goals.

"When he's well I'll evaluate the situation," Donadoni said. "For me, playing with the national team was my biggest ambition and I never liked being excluded."

Galliani explains Nesta snub

Milan chief Adriano Galliani believes that Alessandro Nesta’s decision to quit international football is due to the intense fixture list.

The defender asked to be omitted from the Italy squad for June’s two Euro 2008 qualifiers and boss Roberto Donadoni yesterday admitted that the stopper may never return.

“I think these things happen all over the world,” said Rossoneri Vice-President Galliani. “You need to consider that the footballing calendar is very intense.

“However, no one can complain about Milan. We fielded seven Italian players out of 11 in the Champions League Final. You should point the finger at other clubs…”

Nesta had hinted last week that he might retire from international football in order to focus on his club duties, in an effort to prolong his career at the highest levels.

Meanwhile, Galliani was also questioned on UEFA chief Michel Platini’s proposal to abolish the G14, an organisation founded by some of Europe’s most prestigious clubs in 2000.

“We will meet with the other sides and come to a decision,” continued the official.

“Platini has taken some important forward steps compared to the past, especially with the introduction of a ‘strategic board’.

“But we only represent one of the 18 clubs in the G14 and we cannot decide alone.”

ABETE: 'I hope Nesta returns'

Italian football federation president Giancarlo Abete is hopefully that Sandro Nesta will return to the Italy squad. He said: 'It's normal after a World Cup but I hope that Alessandro Nesta returns because he was a protagonist then.'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...