Bellazon

Marat Safin
Thumbnail

daniela

Q. How dangerous is Safin now? Obviously he's not the same player as 2005, but he's got the two Grand Slam titles and he's obviously motivated again. Do you see him at the same danger level you might have a few years ago?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, yeah, I mean, you've got to look at these guys, Ferrero, Roddick, Safin, Hewitt, these guys who have been No. 1 in the world and have won Grand Slams, you take them like they would be No. 1 in the world in some ways, because one day anybody can play great, especially the former greats like them. So I never looked at Marat like No. 89 in the world. I mean, that's ridiculous. You know, he knows that himself. He's finally showing again what he can do. It's just quite surprising he does it here at Wimbledon in some ways, because he used to dislike playing on this surface. So it should be interesting, because last year I wasn't happy to see Safin in my draw. I'm never happy. He probably knows that. Just been disappointed with the way he's been playing lately, but hopefully he's got a second thing going here in his career. I'm looking forward to playing him in case he wins this.

It was a good match, but I so wanted Safin to win. Oh well, hopefully this is just an introduction to a great run of form, especially over the summer hardcourt season. I think he has a great game for hardcourts, as shown by his two grand slam wins at the US Open and Australian Open.

From the official site:

08.07.08 Marat has been granted a Wild Card into the Main Draws of both Masters Series in Toronto and Cincinnati.

09.07.08 Marat will return to Moscow from Sweden and then travel to Toronto for the Rogers Masters on Friday 18th July.