Bellazon

Marat Safin
Thumbnail

daniela

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Marat Safin, conqueror of No. 3 seed Novak Djokovic, also came through a late evening thriller, fending off the challenge of No. 29 seed Andreas Seppi to win 7-6(5), 3-6, 7-6(3), 6-4 in a match that finished at 9:30pm.

"For me it's a big achievement (to reach the second week)," said Safin. "I'm pleased with the way I'm playing, actually. This is the most important thing. At the end of the match it was pretty tough because we both couldn't see the ball anymore. I was a little bit worried because I couldn't see the ball at the end. I think the match was a really close one. But I think just a little bit of experience helped me a lot."

The 28-year-old Safin, whose best result at Wimbledon was a quarterfinal finish in 2001 (l. to eventual champion Ivanisevic), fired 16 aces and won just three points more than Seppi to defeat the Italian in their first meeting.

(ATPtennis.com)

Next opponent will be Swiss nr 13 of the world Stanislas Wawrinka.

Spanish No. 31 seed Feliciano Lopez reached his second Wimbledon quarterfinal after a hard-fought five-set 5-7, 6-2, 3-6, 7-6(4), 8-6 victory over No. 10 seed Marcos Baghdatis.

Despite committing 41 unforced errors, Lopez was able to convert on three of 10 break point chances and served 25 aces to record his 10th career five set victory against 2006 semifinalist Baghdatis. The 26-year-old Spaniard, who was a quarterfinalist in 2005 (l. to Hewitt), enjoyed his best result of the year in Dubai, where he defeated three Top 10 players as he reached his fifth ATP final (l. to Roddick).

Lopez takes a 4-1 lifetime record into his quarterfinal match against former World No. 1 Marat Safin, including a straight-sets win in the Wimbledon fourth round in 2005. Safin defeated No. 13 seed Stanislas Wawrinka, 6-4, 6-3, 5-7, 6-1 on Monday to advance to the Wimbledon quarterfinals for the second time in his career. In 2001, he lost to eventual champion Goran Ivanisevic at that stage.

The Russian will be making his first appearance in a Grand Slam quarterfinal since winning the 2005 Australian Open. Five years earlier, he won his first career Grand Slam title at the US Open.

Prior to Wimbledon, Safin had won consecutive matches only twice this year in reaching the Munich quarterfinals and third round at Masters Series Hamburg. He is currently ranked No. 75 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings.

(ATPtennis.com)